MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deerhorn paper circuit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Deerhorn paper circuit
NS4W
Hello!
I want to include Deerhorn in my Rollz 5 build - thus only missing Snare and Man with the Red Steam to be a Plumbutter. There are some symbols I don't know what are representing - have anyone here built a Deerhorn paper circuit?

http://ciat-lonbarde.net/deerhorn/
bartlebooth
NS4W wrote:
Hello!
I want to include Deerhorn in my Rollz 5 build - thus only missing Snare and Man with the Red Steam to be a Plumbutter. There are some symbols I don't know what are representing - have anyone here built a Deerhorn paper circuit?

http://ciat-lonbarde.net/deerhorn/

i may be able to help - which ones are you having trouble deciphering?
CJ Miller
I was just looking into this myself.

The boxy spiral symbol should be an inductor. The Plumbutter papers mention that these should be 1 mH (milli-Henry). Although some Radio Zithers have supposedly been spotted in the wild with 1x 1mH and 1x 10mH.

The large circles with the zigzags across them are Cadmium Sulfide photoresistors, don't know the specs.

The parts on the left which look like a hybrid of a diode and a capacitor are varactor diodes. I have no idea what kind of varactor Peter uses here, they are available with many ranges and responses.

Some Deerhorns have long, funky spirals. These are called "rrrind", probably for "inductor"? These appear to be wound antennas of some kind. I will probably need to build the circuits first, and experiment with antennas. once they are built.
NS4W
Thanks bartlebooth, I will return to this thread when I start building the deer horn.

FYI the deerhorn papercircuits were just uploaded to the nabra users yahoo group
CJ Miller
NS4W wrote:
FYI the deerhorn papercircuits were just uploaded to the nabra users yahoo group

How did I know you'd find those? lol I will upload some more in a few days.
NS4W
Ah! It was you!
fluxmonkey
CJ Miller wrote:
The boxy spiral symbol should be an inductor. The Plumbutter papers mention that these should be 1 mH (milli-Henry). Although some Radio Zithers have supposedly been spotted in the wild with 1x 1mH and 1x 10mH.

mostly have 3 pins, is that some kind of center tap? anybody w/ a picture or a potential part number to help narrow down the options?
CJ Miller
fluxmonkey wrote:
mostly have 3 pins, is that some kind of center tap? anybody w/ a picture or a potential part number to help narrow down the options?

I think the dot in the middle is just to differentiate it from Peter's "MIDO" symbol. Any 1 MH coil should do. I just randomly ordered a part called SBCP-47HY102B, which looks like this:

The only real danger is getting a part which doesn't fit well, but since it's a paper circuit I figure it's easily remedied.

The varactors are much more of a head-scratcher. I have a couple here in radio kits which I can try. Wide tuning range should be desirable, but no idea over what voltage range. 9V or less, I assume.
mrbloor
hope this helps

NS4W
What are we looking at here? Plumbutterstomach?
mrbloor
Roolz Gewei, I am taking it apart to replace the potentiometers, 3 have broke waah

It is not an easy task to disassemble one of these fine instruments.

While it's open I have photographed the parts I think you need, hope it helps.
CJ Miller
mrbloor wrote:
Roolz Gewei, I am taking it apart to replace the potentiometers, 3 have broke waah

It is not an easy task to disassemble one of these fine instruments.

While it's open I have photographed the parts I think you need, hope it helps.

Wow, thank you so much, this does help. Sorry to hear about the broken pots. Still, it can be interesting to work on a nice instrument.

Did you, perchance, see any of these?

These are the varactors, which are used in most of his Deerhorns.

Best of luck with your Agamemnon Computer!
mrbloor
Will check when I get home from work
mrbloor
right here we go

This is a 1N4001

This is a not on the board
mrbloor
The pcb looks much more involved than the paper circuit hmmm.....
CJ Miller
mrbloor wrote:

This is a 1N4001

Weird! Does it actually say 1N4001? Or does it just look like your general big black rectifier diode? I have seen some varactors which look like transistors, and some which look like big diodes. Thanks for checking!
mrbloor
Yep from what I can tell (small component soldiered on pcb)

NS4W
So which of the Deerhorns do you reccomend to start with? They have been optimized on the Nabra Users List.
CJ Miller
NS4W wrote:
So which of the Deerhorns do you reccomend to start with? They have been optimized on the Nabra Users List.

I am going to try them all, eventually. The Jagersprache is the one from the Roolz Gewei, which Peter refers to as an improved version. So if I was going to build only one, it would be this. The narrower ones are early versions, which have the possible benefit of less parts.
theantiroman
Has anyone built a deerhorn independent of a workshop yet? Did those strange components really get nailed down in a definite way?

I'm moving right now but I'm going to try to put one together in the next month or two.
Ginko
I'm going to dig this thread back up because me and a friend have a Deerhorn paper circuit and want to try building some - he wants to try embedding some circuits behind paintings.

Like the near year old post above, would be interesting to here if any Deerhorns have been constructed in the wild - we just need to get the less common parts to get going smile
theantiroman
Yes someone with a wild deerhorn speak your tales.
windspirit
I tried building one of the PCB versions but because it had no solder mask (I think peter just makes these boards himself w his CNC router) it was pretty hard to avoid solder bridges. I thought that I had only bridged to the ground plane but still I could never get it to work.
COMZ
Anyone had success here on building the deerhorn paper circuit? Seems like it would be a really fun build.

Here's only semi-detailed deerhorn schematic I know of http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/deerhorn/scheme1.gif
Ginko
That's the paper circuit I have - I never attempted it sadly just because there was some confusion over particular parts confused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2