MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synthetic crow sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Synthetic crow sounds
anarchy4bits
Is it possible to patch synthetic crow sounds with a modular?
I try something, but i don't know which modules can generate this mystery voice.

Cheers robert
DonaldCrunk
i was actually giving some thought to this the other day, i tried wavefolding just the beginning stage of a square wave with a really thin pulse width (the typical recipe for an "ahh" sound) and then dropping the pitch off exponentially, but not too abruptly.

this produced a satisfactory BZZTAaaahh sound, but i have no idea how to get the staccato "Kuh" at the beginning of CAW. i'm thinking a more agressive/digital gain module (wmd?) , crossfaded in right at the beginning stage and fading quickly to the clean "Aaah" sound might be the ticket for a more proper CAW. interested to hear other ideas.
Just me
I have this wood thing with a brass reed in it. I just record it.1
DonaldCrunk
well we could all sit around and fart all day instead of owning modulars in general, where's the fun in that though! w00t
strettara
It's a good point though. Is the strength of electronics its ability to approximate other sounds, or to make its own unique sounds? I'm not looking for a fight, but I think things become very interesting when you mix field recordings/acoustic instruments, etc. with electronic sounds. I don't personally find it interesting to hear approximated birdsong or whatever - unless it is done with the specific intent of making it sound artificial. Of course, it'd be an interesting exercise.

Anyway, that's my feeling, no nasturtiums cast at anyone else's point of view.
matttech
i made some seagulls once by mistake seriously, i just don't get it

...or were they monkeys? i forget

certainly a high, piercing squawking kind of sound at any rate..
Just me
Could have been sea monkeys....
matttech
13.25 onwards in this old tune:

https://soundcloud.com/spitezoo-experimental-lab/too-much-chatter
Zenn
matttech wrote:
i made some seagulls once by mistake seriously, i just don't get it

Mine! Mine! Mine!
anarchy4bits
DonaldCrunk wrote:
i was actually giving some thought to this the other day, i tried wavefolding just the beginning stage of a square wave with a really thin pulse width (the typical recipe for an "ahh" sound) and then dropping the pitch off exponentially, but not too abruptly.

this produced a satisfactory BZZTAaaahh sound, but i have no idea how to get the staccato "Kuh" at the beginning of CAW. i'm thinking a more agressive/digital gain module (wmd?) , crossfaded in right at the beginning stage and fading quickly to the clean "Aaah" sound might be the ticket for a more proper CAW. interested to hear other ideas.

Thanx for the good tip with wavefolding. I make some experiments with Synchrodyne and get some akzeptable sounds, but not realy good. Filtering with Korgasmatron make it beather but also not good. I get only the Aaah sound. The problem with Crows is that they have very much different voices and sounds. So i think you need very big patches to get the variations. For me i think its not possible, but i am still on interesting on any ideas. sad banana
anarchy4bits
strettara wrote:
It's a good point though. Is the strength of electronics its ability to approximate other sounds, or to make its own unique sounds? I'm not looking for a fight, but I think things become very interesting when you mix field recordings/acoustic instruments, etc. with electronic sounds. I don't personally find it interesting to hear approximated birdsong or whatever - unless it is done with the specific intent of making it sound artificial. Of course, it'd be an interesting exercise.

Anyway, that's my feeling, no nasturtiums cast at anyone else's point of view.

Hitchcock wants for "The Birds" no recordings from real birds. All of this birdsounds plays Oscar Sala on the Mixtur Trautonium. The recordingtechnik for real birds exist in the year 1963. You cant listen a real bird in this film. I have also possibilities to make fieldrecordings of real crows, and i maybe do this on day. Also i like the mixing of natural sounds with electronic gear, but its another thing. I ask for synthetic crow sounds because i am interestet how near i can build a real crow sound with a synthesizer. I know it is not possible to imitate them exactly. Where i start with Synthesizers 1996 i bought me an MS10 and have the thinking, now i can imitate all sounds from world with this great maschine. And i do this. I create rain, storm, thunder, trains, helicopters, waterdrops, birds, horns and so on. It was for me very interesting to come the orginal on the next.
And it was my unique sounds. And i personal find it very interesting to listen sounds that aproximate to the orginalsound. Greetings to Italy
lordofthebored
The doepfer A102 sounds like a seagull when it self-resonates. I know that's not a crow, but maybe it help you in a more general sense. hmmm.....

[s]http://snd.sc/XACzgc[/s]
anarchy4bits
The seagulls are nice. Thanx
Just me
Don't know about your neck of the woods, but crows here and where I grew up only Caw. Not KaCaw. I've used my U Pull'em call and an old home made one for decades calling crows. I used to be able to call them with my voice, but as I got older, I couldn't do it anymore. Then I started using the wood calls. When I listen to the call, there is no pitch change. Just a sharp attack with a smooth release. Also, fitering with a seperate envelope would be needed. (To recreate what I do with my hand over the bell of the call as I make the call.) Now I'm gonna have to make a patch to do it! Damn you! My cat is going to think I'm a lunatic sitting blowing a call and tweaking to match.
strettara
Your cat already thinks you're mad.

BTW - crows around here sound more like Graaak than Kaw to my ear.
dkcg
DonaldCrunk wrote:

Maybe using some noise to FM an oscillator or possibly filtering noise to get the "K" followed quickly by a end of rise pulse triggering a second envelope for the "uh" with a formant patch? Might not work...just thinking outloud.

I would just use a bunch of round robin samples if you want it to sound real in a song.
Funky40
what you Guys think:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/punky-demos/crow1-mpc[/s]
it was not intended to patch a Crow. ...got it yesterday
it reminds me alots to a Crow.

it´s sinewavepatching /sineplopps,
possibly, i think so...., dynamically pitchshifted while hitting the pad on the MPC to get the original sample.

on this demo, i pitchshifted down the sample by 1.00 on each hit, static
Eric G
Start with a rather narrow pulse on your VCO. Control pitch with a decaying EG. Run the VCO through a resonant BPF or LPF.

To make the Krr sound, use a fast LFO (saw) that you gate with a VCA or analog switch. Control the VCA/switch with an EG or a gate processor that gives you one short pulse. Use the LFO to control the VCA of your ordinary signal patch. Havn't tried it though...
anarchy4bits
here my synthetic crows. i build it with an trautonium patch. in this i integrate the a196pll. my respect to oscar sala. it was a very hard work to get this kind of sounds out of this. thanks for your tips.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/anarchy4bits/war-cemetery[/s]
Wracked with Guilt
anarchy4bits wrote:
here my synthetic crows. i build it with an trautonium patch. in this i integrate the a196pll. my respect to oscar sala. it was a very hard work to get this kind of sounds out of this. thanks for your tips.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/anarchy4bits/war-cemetery[/s]

By a stange coincidence I found this yesterday while browsing SoundCloud for interesting uses of the Synchrodyne. I really enjoyed this organic-sounding patch and its atmosphere of subtle menace.
anarchy4bits
the synchrodyne have only interesting uses. its for me the most organic osc´s that i know.
timmcg
I took the challenge (if there was one) and came up with this. I know I can do better but it's a start and I'll spend some time taking it further in a few days. I'm supposed to be re-wiring my patch bay but have been looking for ways to procrastinate and this seemed as good as any. Once I have it as good as I can make it maybe I'll try synthesizing Sheryl next. :-)
Dave Peck
Hey, that's pretty good, Tim. Although I'm wondering if the G2's vocal filter with just a bit of modulation from the pitch EG would work better than those two series filters for getting that creepy sorta-human-vocal-ish "aww" timbre that some crows make...
timmcg
Dave Peck wrote:
Hey, that's pretty good, Tim. Although I'm wondering if the G2's vocal filter with just a bit of modulation from the pitch EG would work better than those two series filters for getting that creepy sorta-human-vocal-ish "aww" timbre that some crows make...

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the vocal filter before I arrived at the HP / BP in series method, although I didn't try modulating the frequency. Good idea and I'll give it a try when I have another go at it. Here's the patch if anyone wants to add to it. Just remember it's a first try and a work in progress and I usually make a lot of changes once I've been away from things for a day or so.

PS It was fun; crows are one of my favourite birds.
drewtoothpaste
just get a crow they're free. they live outside
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2