MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your favorite amp for Rhodes and why?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Your favorite amp for Rhodes and why?
flo
Hello Wigglers,

Just last weekend, I bought a stunningly beautiful Rhodes MK2 stage (1972) in immaculate condition (first owner had it for 40 years in his home, never on stage - had two more for that) for what I consider quite a good price here in Europe. Since I'm moving my band rehearsal room ATM, it's standing in a cellar this week. Yesterday I just quickly tried to play it with a Motu and headphones and it is beautiful. love

While our band has some guitar amps already, which we surely will try out, I wanted to ask the fellow Wiggler what his favorite amp for a Rhodes is and why, since I'm certain that at one point or another I'll get a dedicated one.

In terms of sound, I think I'd rather be after the cleaner side of things, because I can always FSU with our massive array of stomp boxes or even my Eurorack. Clean, but with some character that is I guess... So probably something like at least 12' speakers and maybe rather tubes than solid state. (Consider the occasional gig with it too.)

Now, of course I know the usual answer is Jazz Chorus and Twin Reverb, and there's also a gazillion threads on the internetz about this topic. Still, I wanted to ask here what you guys like the most...? (Haven't found a dedicated Rhodes thread here on Muffs, maybe I missed something...)

I'm not pressed to get one ASAP or something, just curious about your opinions. Thus, I also welcome suggestions in any price range.

Thanks and cheers! Guinness ftw!

Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
Hainbach
Wow flo, congrats!

I love my MK2, it takes to FX so easily. Try the EHX Frequency Analyzer with it, or any chorus, phaser, flanger pedal. Any array of pedals makes it shine.

I choose a Jazz Chorus 160, which is a great recording amp and was dirt cheap. Makes everything sit in the mix. It does have a rather clean tone, more 80ies to it, so I use a Tubefactor to warm it up. That said, I would love a Twin Reverb, as that combo sounds more soulfull.

I usually record a mix between DI and amp, check this track:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/hainbach/our-playground[/s]

BTW, the MK2 was not produced in 1972, but between 79 and 83. So its probably a bit younger.
Illiac
Fender Prinston Reverb
flo
Thanks guys!

Nice track Stefan, I enjoyed that a lot! Is the tremolo/chorus effect from the Jazz Chorus? I already have a CE1 so that chorus is covered... hihi

Hainbach wrote:
BTW, the MK2 was not produced in 1972, but between 79 and 83. So its probably a bit younger.

True, where was my head hmmm..... The guy I bought it from said he got it in '72, but probably he's mistaken it for one of the others he has... I just checked and it appears that the pickup rail on mine was finished in week 17 (late April) 1981.

Keep it coming guys! SlayerBadger!
dkcg
tape echo inbetween the rhoads and whatever amp you end up with.

My first thought was the Fender Twin. Princeton would be nice, but you'd lose some of the low end.

I bet a peavey nashville might be a great amp, the pedal steel amps would get close to covering the same range as the rhoads.
blue_lu
Blackface Princeton Amp. If you play at room level, the low end is fine. usually I end up cutting the low end itb either way, since too much rhodes bass can get muddy quickly. just put an sm57 in front an mic to taste.

here is an example with the setup above around the 1:30 mark the rhodes comes in, not the best mix, but you get an idea of the sound.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/yellow-tangerine/window-seat-analogedit[/s]
blt
I use to play my friend's Rhodes through my bass stack at practice: 300watt Sunn tube head, 4x10, and 1x15. That sounded unreal. This could be scaled down to a 50-100 watt tube head and a single full range bass cab. IMO guitar amps just don't do the low end justice and color the sound to much for my taste. I've never been able to get a nice low end out of small tube amps, even at bedroom levels. Take this all with a grain of salt, as my ears and tastes are skewed to the low end.
sascha.victoria
Early 80s Fender tube amps when Rivera was heading the amp production. I believe these are the Super Champ, Princeton II, possibly a 4x10 or 2x12 Concert, and maybe a few others. These were the last point to point amps Fender made. They are extremely versatile amps, especially for recording. For what they are I think they offer the most bang for the buck in the vintage Fender line. Mostly they go over looked because they're from the early 80s.
cbm
Rivera S-120 is a great stereo dual 60 watt amp. A Fender Twin is another good choice. Both of these are really heavy though.
flo
Thanks guys, I'll keep looking out for some nice amps, appreciate your suggestions!

This last weekend we've moved our studio / band rehearsal room and I've finally had the chance to hook the precious thing up to my mate's guitar amp (Vox AC 15). Sounded very nice, I'm really happy to finally have a Rhodes... love

dkcg wrote:
tape echo inbetween the rhoads and whatever amp you end up with.

Yes, I'll definitely do this. I think my RE201 has found a new mate SlayerBadger! hihi
Just me
A Hammond PR-40 with the treble 12" replaced with a couple of 8" speakers. A preamp (with an effects loop) to drive it. Not very portable, but awesome sound.
flo
Woah that looks nice, thanks. Probably not so easy to find though - I'll definitely try to remember it hihi
Just me
If you are talking Hammond cabinets, they are cheap as chips. Most folks will gladly let you have it if you haul it away.
Look in retirement communities estate sales.
flo
Yeah, I was talking bout the Hammond cabinets... Hadn't thought about that idea before. Price isn't that much of an issue, availability is more of a problem and I had guessed that these are rather rare here in Europe... Funnily enough, I just saw an ad today for a Hammond cabinet (indeed basically for free) - not exactly sure what model it is (pictures on the ad are real small and crappy), but I'd guess it's either a 10-12 or a 10-95 or something similar that I'm not aware of... Only problem is that it's literally on the other side of the country...
alijamieson
blue_lu wrote:
Blackface Princeton Amp. If you play at room level, the low end is fine. usually I end up cutting the low end itb either way, since too much rhodes bass can get muddy quickly. just put an sm57 in front an mic to taste.

here is an example with the setup above around the 1:30 mark the rhodes comes in, not the best mix, but you get an idea of the sound.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/yellow-tangerine/window-seat-analogedit[/s]

So *you're* Yellow Tangerine? A pal sent me your stuff years ago (~2011/12?) loved it!
MAXTHEDOG
Hi flo,
That was my very first keyboard. I bought it with a loan guaranteed by my parents when I stared work. No super easy access to credit in those days. eek!
I'm in the Roland Jazz Chorus camp on this one FWIW.

Well done, enjoy it.
Regards,
MTD.
flo
thumbs up

I still don't have a dedicated amp for it, but that project will recommence soon!

Cheers Guinness ftw!
Summa
Fender Twin if you want it loud as hell, for recordings I tend to turn for smaller amps like Fender Vibro Champ or maybe the larger Vibroverb.
But plugging it through a Leslie 122 is amazeballs.. w00t
popvulture
I usually play mine through a Twin which is, as you mentioned, a pretty standard choice. This thread reminded me of this old demo I did though—I was wondering if a Rhodes Stage Piano's volume knob would respond to a germanium fuzz face the same way a guitar's volume knob does. Sure enough, it worked... super rough little demo, but it's fun for shits n giggles. Also played through a Matchless Chieftain 2x12, so a bit less conventional.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/palmoore/rhodes-ff-test-0731[/s]
auxren
I used to gig with my Rhodes and a Mesa Boogie Mk III and a wah pedal. So much fun. I miss all that gear.
Willowhaus
Used to have a 73 stage piano through a Deluxe, it was excellent for that gospel-type vibe when you pushed it a bit. Really any decent Fender would probably do well with it.

Got a buddy here who runs his house piano through a Vox AC15, that's also a nice pairing.
gozonoe
Fender Super Reverb. Big beautiful full sound when you need it. Reverb for days. Surprising enough it sounds great at lower volumes like jammimg in a smaller room. Had a vox ac30 thst was beautiful sounding but i prefer the super reverb 4x10 combo.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1