MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

200e Beginning. Configuration, advices ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 200e Beginning. Configuration, advices ?
resetlfo
Greetings to all .

I am about to order my first buchla configuration (with a limited budget for now) , and i also don't want to go too crazy and order everything at once anyways , better to go slowly for a better overview i guess . Here is the system i am planing, maybe some would have advices if i really need to swap some modules .

24-panel Powered Cabinet
225e MIDI Decoder / Preset Manager
227e System Interface
250e Arbitrary Function Generator
259e Twisted Waveform Generator
261e Complex Waveform Generator
266e Source of Uncertainty
281e Quad Function Generator
291e Triple Morphing Filter
292e Quad Dynamics Manager

These are what in my mind for a starter set. Would Control Voltage Processor is a must ? if so maybe than i can drop something and put this instead

thanks for your helps
tIB
^ how will you be controlling it?

I manage without any voltage processing in my little 6 space system, mainly because I use a lot of external midi cc's. Id like something voltagey/mixerish in my setup- the 210e is top of my list should I ever expand... Im not sure that I will though.

With your setup above its basically adding a sequencer, system interface and second osc to what I have. Id like all those things too though the seq is bottom of my list since I use a cirklon with it currently. Looks to me like a very fun system!
wavecircle
Is it necessary to buy the biggest case if you are going to be building slow?

You could get a skylab or a 12 panel case and buy an extra module with the difference.
resetlfo
wavecircle wrote:
Is it necessary to buy the biggest case if you are going to be building slow?

You could get a skylab or a 12 panel case and buy an extra module with the difference.

its better to have biggest case in advance, later it would be too much lost to change it . and a big hassle as i live in europe
resetlfo
tIB wrote:
^ how will you be controlling it?

I manage without any voltage processing in my little 6 space system, mainly because I use a lot of external midi cc's. Id like something voltagey/mixerish in my setup- the 210e is top of my list should I ever expand... Im not sure that I will though.

With your setup above its basically adding a sequencer, system interface and second osc to what I have. Id like all those things too though the seq is bottom of my list since I use a cirklon with it currently. Looks to me like a very fun system!

i have also cirklon with CVIO option.

So in this case you say 256e is a must ?
sandyb
i would definitely want a 256e in there.
it was when i got to 6-7 modules that i *really* started feeling the need for a cv processor.
tIB
It would certainly be next on my list (CV processing that is, though not sure whether via 210e or 256e in my case since I also need audio mixing). I have CC related workarounds but I often wish I didnt have to use them. If you have a cirklon already Id leave out the 250e and get the 256e, though i understand the desire to have everything in one system.
Kent
Depending upon what you want to accomplish, you can forget about a 256e. I use mine a lot, but I didn't really start using it until I had a much better understanding of the fundamentals of the Buchla System.

With your setup, you can sequence via MIDI and the 250e. You can also use extensive MIDI control on parameters via the 225e controller bus outputs.

Will you want a 256e eventually? I'd say, "yes". Do you need one right now in order to have fun and make satisfying music? I'd say, "no". You can add it later. It's a modular system. Dive in to your system and explore it. Find out what you NEED after spending some time with the system. It's not like there aren't bi-polar attenuators on many of the CV inputs.

It's possible that you discover that you would like to go for an Eardrill offering next. I'm sure that you'll end up with both (Eardrill and 256e) in a 24-panel cabinet, but I don't see the rush. Take your time.
tIB
Kent wrote:
Take your time.

That's also good advice- I started with 5 modules and went up to 6 soon after. At first I wanted moar(!) but more recently Im thinking it might just be done where I am now.
resetlfo
Kent wrote:
Depending upon what you want to accomplish, you can forget about a 256e. I use mine a lot, but I didn't really start using it until I had a much better understanding of the fundamentals of the Buchla System.

With your setup, you can sequence via MIDI and the 250e. You can also use extensive MIDI control on parameters via the 225e controller bus outputs.

Will you want a 256e eventually? I'd say, "yes". Do you need one right now in order to have fun and make satisfying music? I'd say, "no". You can add it later. It's a modular system. Dive in to your system and explore it. Find out what you NEED after spending some time with the system. It's not like there aren't bi-polar attenuators on many of the CV inputs.

It's possible that you discover that you would like to go for an Eardrill offering next. I'm sure that you'll end up with both (Eardrill and 256e) in a 24-panel cabinet, but I don't see the rush. Take your time.

Thanks for the words

Yes I am planing to sequence via midi and 250e .
If as you say , there are enough bipolar atts on cv inputs and together with help of 250e , the job can be done for explore .
resetlfo
There was once I saw a great PDF file which was showing all the modules and great explanations , anyone remember this link ?
It was like 25 pages , like a brochure
weinglas
If you want to work a lot with the preset manager, you could think about a 210e. Not a perfect cv mixer, but a good addition to your planned setup.
resetlfo
weinglas wrote:
If you want to work a lot with the preset manager, you could think about a 210e. Not a perfect cv mixer, but a good addition to your planned setup.

i think yes,

the next 2 modules would be 256e and 210e
dkcg
The 256e comes in very handy for controlling panning in the 227e. I like using it with my 255 and 281e most.
7thDanSound
If you're planning on going slow and taking it easy I'd skip a few modules. What you have here is an almost full 12wls configuration, something that takes some people years to gather. Some people even keep getting by with less modules for a long time, not planning on expanding at all. Then there's the Skylab at 10wls...

All practical things aside (like not being in the US if that's the case, import hassle, waiting time and whatnot), I think starting small and going slow is good with most modulars but with the Buchla it's essential. I started out with 1 module, had 4 within 3 months I think. I'm still amazed at some of the recordings I did back then. When I sit down in front of my 18wls, I often don't know where to begin. Being faced with what you're getting as a total n00b I may even have given up. That's me though.

My advice is, skip the 250e and 291e for now, they are very complex (but rewarding) modules that will just take time away from exploring the other stuff you're getting. Also, no CV processor needed at this time. In fact, screw the 261e too, let it come later. The 259e is plenty of noise.
resetlfo
7thDanSound wrote:
If you're planning on going slow and taking it easy I'd skip a few modules. What you have here is an almost full 12wls configuration, something that takes some people years to gather. Some people even keep getting by with less modules for a long time, not planning on expanding at all. Then there's the Skylab at 10wls...

All practical things aside (like not being in the US if that's the case, import hassle, waiting time and whatnot), I think starting small and going slow is good with most modulars but with the Buchla it's essential. I started out with 1 module, had 4 within 3 months I think. I'm still amazed at some of the recordings I did back then. When I sit down in front of my 18wls, I often don't know where to begin. Being faced with what you're getting as a total n00b I may even have given up. That's me though.

My advice is, skip the 250e and 291e for now, they are very complex (but rewarding) modules that will just take time away from exploring the other stuff you're getting. Also, no CV processor needed at this time. In fact, screw the 261e too, let it come later. The 259e is plenty of noise.

Well, if i skip those , then there is no filter and a sequencer . A filter is essential imo.
And if there is no sequencer, don't know how to play the things
7thDanSound
In the world of west coast synthesis, you'll find filters aren't as essential as in other systems. Aren't you getting a 225e with MIDI for the purpose of controlling the thing? That will get you very far and you'll be able to use familiar interfaces for control. The 250e will be yet another deep dive into a new world requiring a lot of time to learn.

Again though, these are just my opinions. At any rate I'm sure you'll find plenty of joy in your system!
nanotone
resetlfo wrote:
...And if there is no sequencer, don't know how to play the things

This statement shows that you need to learn a lot about Buchla systems.
A sequencer isn't necessary to make good and interesting sounds with a Buchla.

I have started with an 18wls system few months ago and sometimes I'm still lost.
However I came from a big Serge system and therfore I wasn't new to a Westcost modular but Buchla is a very special thing.
resetlfo
nanotone wrote:
resetlfo wrote:
...And if there is no sequencer, don't know how to play the things

This statement shows that you need to learn a lot about Buchla systems.
A sequencer isn't necessary to make good and interesting sounds with a Buchla.

I have started with an 18wls system few months ago and sometimes I'm still lost.
However I came from a big Serge system and therfore I wasn't new to a Westcost modular but Buchla is a very special thing.

well, of course you can do without sequencers , in eurorack also you can make a lot of things without sequencers (telling that i am a former euro rack users actually) , its more about if you want sequencers or not i think.

my questions were more related to cv signal distribution and processing , and if i would need 210 & 256e or if it is ok without in first try outs.
i was expecting some to say without them you cannot work , but i was wrong . good to know.

but without a sequencer , for me would be more hard to get into due to the way i was used to work with euroracks in the last 6 years
sascha.victoria
292e can be used as a LPF. I think a lot of people over look that.
loophead
You also said you also have a Cirklon (with cvio). The Cirklon is a very deep sequencer. Deeper I 'think' than the 250. I have one hitting my Waldorf XT and Q. Colin set it up so you can calibrate the cvio to 12 v per oct for Buchla users - so you have cv as well as midi to the Buchla. thumbs up
tIB
^ I have mine setup in that way- it was an easy bit of tweaking to get it to buchla voltage standards. One thing worth noting is that it wont fire gates without modification- they are 5v.
dkcg
resetlfo wrote:

Well, if i skip those , then there is no filter and a sequencer . A filter is essential imo.
And if there is no sequencer, don't know how to play the things

You really don't need a filter, to be honest, I think there are many filters that sound better out there than the 291e, but as a sum of the parts, there is no equal. Between the timbre controls and modulation (additive synthesis), you do not need a filter to get similar sounds as filtered sound. For example, the high order knob on the 261e more or less sounds like a hipass filter, the morph on the 259e can morph between a simple signal and a complex one with lots of harmonics which can sound more or less like a filtered signal. But if you want analog FM, the 291e is the best way in the e modules.

If you want to play pitch accurate melodies, the 225e with midi and internal bus is the best way. The 250e is much more of an composition experimentation tool to me than a sequencer.
resetlfo
loophead wrote:
You also said you also have a Cirklon (with cvio). The Cirklon is a very deep sequencer. Deeper I 'think' than the 250. I have one hitting my Waldorf XT and Q. Colin set it up so you can calibrate the cvio to 12 v per oct for Buchla users - so you have cv as well as midi to the Buchla. thumbs up

Can Cirklon play the whole system via 225e instead of CVs ?
7thDanSound
resetlfo wrote:
Can Cirklon play the whole system via 225e instead of CVs ?

Yes absolutely
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2