MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where to begin with Serge?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Where to begin with Serge?
jonkull
Like the subject says. If you could only own one panel which would it be? I'm looking at the Animal but since I don't know when I'll have money to expand I want to make sure my first purchase is a smart one and the panel I buy is as flexible as possible. Would the Animal be the way to go as a first purchase? I'm also interested in the Blue Voice, CV2 and TKB but don't know how useful they'd be without additional panels so I'd probably buy them at a later point.
science
I'd say the Animal would definitely be a good choice if you could only have a single panel.
bartlebooth
you could also go with two M-odules (in one M-boat) to get started. This is basically the equivalent of a panel except only 14 panel-inches instead of 16 due to the integrated PSD. The Creature is a natural one to start with. Combine that with either a Gator, Quadslope, Waveproc or SeqA and you can have alot of fun!
confusional
Redacted.
sascha.victoria
I agree that the Animal is the best starting point. Its very well balanced in terms of the modules it has. With M-Class you could get the boat, power, and Creature to start and then expand from there. This would help keep your entry price point down. Ultimately if you wanted to accomplish the density of the Animal you'd need at least 3 M-Class modules but then you'd have more then the Animal... I think it ultimately comes down to ones desire for panels or M-Class. Do it! You know you want to!
Madcap Labs
I have an Animal, and I'm consistently blown away by how capable the unit is - yes, it's almost 5K, but it's a full-featured synth and then some. You can easily get four or five unique rhythms going simultaneously, basses or leads with six oscillators (NTO, PCO, DTGx2, triangle from the SSG and sine from the filter!) - it's pretty crazy. This is a silly thing to say, but...it's *kinda* all you need.

Peace and love,

Ed
jonkull
Thanks for the comments. If I start with the Animal would the CV2 be a good second panel?
sascha.victoria
CV2 is going to be my second panel. Should be here in about a month...
confusional
Redacted.
bartlebooth
jonkull wrote:
If I start with the Animal would the CV2 be a good second panel?

Yeah, though if you were going to get them together I would definitely get the Blue Voice instead to go with the CV2. But if you're only going to have one panel for a while then the Animal is the best choice.
zthee
I've spent some time doing Serge-like DIY stuff (And some Serge clone DIY stuff) - and I did a sketch of my dream DIY setup (I.e. modules I'd like to DIY but can't do (Like the NTO and PCO)) - so anyway. I was sketching and redoing stuff and going back and forth. And finaly I was done!

...and I was like.. I've seen this before... checks out serge-fans.com - and yes - It's an Animal!

Imho it's the perfect balance of everything you'd want with Serge. Sure there's alot of stuff you'd like to have - a DSG instead of a DTG.. a VC Slope Filter i/o a VCFQ and so on. But it doesn't matter. As a starter system it's kick ass!

If I'd buy a panel of Serge - it would be the animal. Hands down.

After that I'd get the sequencer panel. But that's just because I'm a sequencer guy...

Though to be honest. I'd never ever buy an M-odule. Now I know this goes kinda against the STS way - but for me the M-odule series is just a waste of panel space. Better save up for 2 and get an extra 2" of knobs and jacks. But that's just me! sad banana
Audio Resistance
Madcap Labs wrote:
I have an Animal, and I'm consistently blown away by how capable the unit is - yes, it's almost 5K, but it's a full-featured synth and then some. e,
Ed

Okay, the serge-fan site says the Animal is $3600.00 and the PS2 is $350.00.

Do you have to pay for a boat as well for a Animal? Is there some other hidden charge?

I am about inch's away from calling and sending a check in on a Animal panel.

I have been lurking and reading up on all the site's trying to decide on the Animal or Creature plus whatever route. I am so glad to hear you guy's are really happy with just the Animal alone. ( I know your ordering more but that is part of the deal)

I have the money to get a TKB that I was going to use with my Euro, but I think that would just tease me. So Animal here I come soon....
sascha.victoria
The prices on the Serge site are not correct unless you're buying M-Class stuff. You have to call Rex and get the low down on everything Serge before he'll give you the decoder ring for the prices. This may seem odd but its really for the best. Rex will talk to you about what you do, what you want to do, and what will suit your needs best. Trust me when I say, Serge has the best customer service you will probably ever experience.
Madcap Labs
Yeah, that "wasted" space in the M-odules is a bummer, but I understand that it's in the name of clean power and audio fidelity, and if you've only used Euro stuff, the sonic quality of the Serge is a revelation - it really does sound noticeably better than even the Cwejman stuff, if you ask me.
I considered a Blue Voice/CV pair, too, but went with the Animal instead - no better way to get your feet wet, and you might just stop there (or add a TKB, as I did.) I'm considering a Gator/Quad Slope combo, to get into polyrhythmic stuff in conjunction with the TKB, as well as all the capabilities of the slopes. Plus the Quad slope has the Scaling Buffers, which are really useful.
The Serge is a wonderful system for making noise, but I'm really digging making "traditional" music with it - the oscillators are rock-solid tuning-wise, but they •ooze• "personality", and once you take a half-hour or so to understand how to patch up some of the more versatile function blocks, it is a very easy system to get around on - that Serge guy really thought things through. And it excels at sounds with a bit of an edge to them - there's myriad opportunities to fuzz up the signal path, and all of 'em sound great.
parasitk
I'm in a similar (mental, not financial) situation, where I want my first Serge purchase to be well rounded and nutritionally complete, just in case it happens to be my only Serge purchase. waah I can't think of a single panel or M-Class combo that is as well rounded as the Animal. Expanding with the M-Class seems doable, but I think the Animal is a powerful, balanced starting point!
aetherpulse
I have no idea about an animal, but I have a blast with the Creature. You would be shocked at the sound that will come out that thing!

Of course I don't think you could make a wrong choice in this case...
Pockets McCoy
My quick opinion is that for a VERY well-rounded one-panel system, you can't go wrong with an Animal. You could also go M-Class, but if you're dead set on one panel and no future expansion, I'd stick with the Animal. The M-odules are astounding, but I feel like they're a lot more likely to inspire expansion, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the Animal seems to have a better balance of function blocks that you'd be less likely to sit in front of your one panel thinking "you know, if only I had..."

That all being said, if you can swing it, or you're willing to save up for a while and don't mind 2 panels, the Blue Voice/CV2 combo is out of this goddamn world, and if I were to pick two panels to live with for the rest of my life, that'd be my pair without question.

In the long run though, it's REALLY hard to go wrong with ANY Serge... Dead Banana
jonkull
Yeah, the Blue Voice/CV2 looks like a great combo but I don't know if or when I'd be able to expand beyond one panel so for now I think I'll start with an Animal.
sascha.victoria
Serge oscillators are kind of insane. They're temperature stabilized at 120 F. So if you set up some crazy FM ratio and you think, I could make a killer bass line with this sound! You can scale them both at 1v/oct and be in tune for more octaves then are useful. Throw those into the Wave Multipliers on the Animal and you'll be blowing your mind before you knew you realized you shouldn't have taken the brown acid... and then you'll think, I need 2 more tabs of that shit.
confusional
Redacted.
confusional
Redacted.
Pockets McCoy
sascha.victoria wrote:
Serge oscillators are kind of insane. They're temperature stabilized at 120 F. So if you set up some crazy FM ratio and you think, I could make a killer bass line with this sound! You can scale them both at 1v/oct and be in tune for more octaves then are useful. Throw those into the Wave Multipliers on the Animal and you'll be blowing your mind before you knew you realized you shouldn't have taken the brown acid... and then you'll think, I need 2 more tabs of that shit.

I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree! I agree!

I think this is one of the really important reasons to consider something like the Animal over M-Class for a one panel setup...you may not realize it at first, but you REALLY want those oscillators. You kind of don't realize it until you use them, and then you realize you absolutely can't live without them, and then you glance curiously at the wave multipliers, patch the oscillators into them, and then you just never leave the house or talk to anyone ever again. You've made a fantastic decision to get your Animal on...for sheer single-panel fucked up wacky gorgeous ungodly pterodactyl baby spaceship implosion sounds, it's pretty much the most perfect complement of function blocks you could possibly ask for. And in one-panel land, the black center strip is grossly wasted space if one panel is all you'll have for a while...not to say I don't love it, but every inch counts...

Dead Banana screaming goo yo w00t

Oh, and for a few more recordings, everything at http://files.idatedapyramid.com/sounds is all Serge, except the stuff in the "old" folder...
chrisso
Funny 'cos I had three Serge panels, one with oscillators and sold two, keeping the processing panel I'd originally bought (that had no oscillators).

It's all subjective and often down to personal opinion rather than fact.
However I think it's dangerous territory to claim current Serge systems sound better than systems from ten years ago, or that Serge power supplies and oscillators are superior to other modular manufacturers.
Maybe they are, but it would be better if there was some kind of concrete proof.
Without proof, all one can say is that STS make some very nice sounding modules. I love my panel to bits, but had no regret selling the oscillator and filter panel.
bartlebooth
chrisso wrote:

However I think it's dangerous territory to claim current Serge systems sound better than systems from ten years ago, or that Serge power supplies and oscillators are superior to other modular manufacturers.

I think he was actually just comparing the Serge oscillators in the Animal to the Serge TGO oscillators in some of the M-odules..the point being that the TGO is not as full-featured or temperature-stabilized like the NTO or PCO. I don't see anything controversial about this.
sascha.victoria
I agree!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3