MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minimoog Faceplate
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Minimoog Faceplate
sascha.victoria
The faceplates on my Minimoogs are covered with a plastic film. Apparently they did this for a couple of years. The film is bubbling up at places but is still impossible to get off. Does anyone know where I could get 2 faceplates or have them made?
sascha.victoria
Woops! I didn't mean to upload that twice. Not sure how that happened.
felix
It doesn't appear that you uploaded twice, just that you posted the IMG twice. (bbCode)
xpander
i've seen faceplates remade for the mini- drop a post on the yahoo user group Lords of the Mini.
indexofmetals
I think there's a company in the UK that do faceplates, I've seen new ones for poly6, juno's

can't remember their name but maybe this'll jog someone's memory

yours looks like a great unit anyway
yusynth
indexofmetals wrote:
I think there's a company in the UK that do faceplates, I've seen new ones for poly6, juno's

can't remember their name but maybe this'll jog someone's memory

yours looks like a great unit anyway

Well www.synthrestore.co.uk used to sell some but they disconitnued them some four years ago.

In the meantime a guy from Brazil is now offering replacement panels :
http://www.sintetizadores.com.ar/en/
http://www.sintetizadores.com.ar/en/spares/minimoog-panel
NV
There's also Custom Synth at http://www.customsynth.co.uk/

I wonder what the reasoning for the plastic coating was. The panel looks great where the plastic has chipped off, it's a shame they decided to use that odd film.
sascha.victoria
From my research I've learned that all vinyl panel Minimoogs have this clear film on them. Its only a problem when the shit starts bubbling up. So annoying... After spending a couple of hours on it yesterday I have about 40% of the film off 1 panel. I can't decide if it looks worse or better. seriously, i just don't get it
yusynth
sascha.victoria wrote:
From my research I've learned that all vinyl panel Minimoogs have this clear film on them. Its only a problem when the shit starts bubbling up. So annoying... After spending a couple of hours on it yesterday I have about 40% of the film off 1 panel. I can't decide if it looks worse or better. seriously, i just don't get it

When Kevin Lightner had his synthfool site active there was a page on this bubbling problem and how to cure it. If you contact him he may give you tricks.
sascha.victoria
Yeah, I contacted Kevin. His suggestions are good lighting, tweezers, De-Solve-It, and boat loads of patience. Also, work in 30 min to 1 hour increments so you don't go insane.

It is possible to use a heat gun but then you run the risk of melting the panel and causing irreparable damage. Heat gun usage should be done with extreme caution starting from cool and slowly heating up to avoid any melting or burns. Also, its easy to warp / burn the areas around the rocker switches so much care must be used in that zone. Overall, the heat gun method is NOT recommended.
dude
mine is messed up too. i wonder of the southamerican guy has good prices or if the stuff actually looks good and fits. anybody here used his stuff?
sascha.victoria
Okay, just got back from Home Depot with a heat gun. I defintiely do not recommend a heat gun. hahahah! I applied heat very very slowly. I thought the stuff would start bubbling up more but it didn't. However you can scrape the shit off easier and then... the vinyl started warping! I was able to stop and hold it down while it cooled preventing any damage. That being said I think I'm done with the heat gun.

As far as replacement panels go: you will need to replace the overload and power lamps too. You have about a 99% chance of breaking those when you remove the panel as they are one way push on fasteners. You have to be very careful that everything is lined up right. Otherwise the rocker switches won't ruck properly. Also, you have to be very careful with the pots making sure there's no shorts, wires under the panel, etc...

Basically, this whole process blows. Anyone else out there have any ideas?
sascha.victoria
Round 2 with the heat gun:

Apply low heat and scrape at the same time. The stuff comes off much easier this way. Before I thought if I applied heat it would just start to bubble up but that is not the case. You have to scrape while the surface is warm. You can apply heat, scrape, and then turn the heat away for a minute while you scrape some more. The prevents the whole area from getting too hot. I've been using a small flat head screw driver for the scraping very light pressure. The kind you'd use to calibrate your oscillators or to take a knob off. If you scrape too hard you'll scratch the vinyl. After you get an area cleaned of the crap there is a bit of a shadow residue where it was. If you use De-Solve-It with a paper towel, let it dry, and repeat a few times this final layer comes off.

I think I have about 50% of one panel done. With my new technique I should be done with one panel in about 3-5 more hours. I think I can do about 30 min a day so I should be done by the end of the week. I'll keep you all posted on my progress...
dude
checked, and prices for the new faceplate are 70ish plus shipping. that seems great if they were to fit perfectly! anybody here tried those?
sascha.victoria
70 bones for a new faceplate seems worth it to me vs my time and frustration. tonight i will think about changing my approach to this mess...
dude
thats what im sayin'!
sascha.victoria
Success!!!! So after a week off from my project I decided to have another go at it today. I got everything off in about 2 hours with the heat gun. Here's how I did it.

1: remove all the knobs

2: with an exacto knife or razor blade gently cut around the nuts that hold the knobs on.

3: slowly apply heat to an area that is already bubbling up. i started on the bottom left most knob.

4: use a small screw driver to gently push around the bubble area so it starts coming up. as you do this keep applying heat. eventually the area that lifts will get bigger. try to move your way up the left side. the goal is to get it so you are slowly moving across the whole face without breaking the film. keep applying the heat as you pull up the film.

5: when you get to a row of knobs gently scrape around the edge of the knobs so you can continue beyond them. remember, keep it in one piece!

6: if you face plate starts warping don't worry about it. when you're done getting the stuff off just heat that region, remove heat, and press it flat until it cools.

lastly, i haven't tested it yet so i have no idea if the heat did any internal damage. i take absolutely no responsibility for whatever happens in your minimoog restoration project.

here's some pics. sorry they're so bad but my iPhone is all i had.

sascha.victoria
p.s. with all the crap off the face plate looks much better. its still a little strange from whatever process was used to get that film on there or from taking it off. since my minimoogs are kind of frankenstein i think i'm not going to let this take up anymore of my time.
yusynth
Right now Lady Synthfool has some replacement faceplates to sell on ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Minimoog-Replacement-Panel-Vinyl_W0QQitemZ220483503 550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item3355d745be&_trksid=p3911 .c0.m14#ht_2811wt_1296
sascha.victoria
I have been in contact with Kevin about this project and he did tell me he had 2 faceplates with different finishes.

edit: I have been correctified. That auction is totally legit. Anyone looking to embark on a Minimoog faceplate restoration should totally buy one of those panels from Synthfool.
yusynth
Quote:
Why are those on eBay France and not eBay USA if he's in California. Something is strange about that auction.

It's everywhere on ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Minimoog-Replacement-Panel-Vinyl_W0QQitemZ22048350 3550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item3355d745be&_trksid=p391 1.c0.m14#ht_2811wt_1296

The previous URL was referring to ebay france because I live in France therefore I checked ebay auction from account on ebay.fr, but it is not restricted to France ! It took me 10s to find the same on ebay.com 8_)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1