MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge + Buchla = Ersatz Music Easel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge + Buchla = Ersatz Music Easel?
ex_dead_teenager
I was having a conversation with a friend recently and it's had me wondering if you were to find someone who would re-calibrate a Serge TKS for Buchla Purposes and then got a 4 panel rack with an oscillator, an SOU, a Quad Function gen and quad Lowpas gates would you have something that rivals a music easel?

I know you'd be missing a few things like that nifty card system and reverb but you'd have both the sequencer and the keyboard covered in the TKS and most of the other Easel functions, and if you got the Touch Envelope Voltage Source you could swap out the Quad Function gen for something like the CV Processor and have some slightly different functionality right? I mean if you or anyone were to do something like that and pop it in a blue suitcase you'd basically have an Easel?

I'm going for a 12 panel eventually but the thought of a TKS or TEV calibrated for Buchla really, really makes me hyper How difficult do you think it would be to find someone to calibrate something like that?
mono-poly
I think all you need to calibrate is the gate output.
The 10 volt output should work fine.
ex_dead_teenager
it would also have to send 1.2V/Octave instead of the standard 1V/Octave scale.

This is long term for me but possibly for some other folks out there with an easel jones maybe this is a possibillty?

I want to actually finish filling my cabinet first but the thought of a TEV or TKS with Buchla scaling and gates is very appealing.
ndkent
Umm like most knob/slider based sequencers the TKB is unquantitized so there is no scale to be 1.0 or 1.2, the pads just trigger any pitch you set the knobs to.

Now some people will have a rear connection directly from the TKB to a quantitizer in another panel and then it would be 1.0, but that's not a given.
mono-poly
yeah tkb outputs are unquantized.
cbm
What's going to be hard to rival with a system like this is the vibe/workflow of the Easel.
b3nsf
When I asked Ezra B. about getting a system that would act like D. Morley's cool 200... He suggested I get Buchla oscillators, Filters and A TKB!!! 8_)
ex_dead_teenager
ndkent wrote:
Umm like most knob/slider based sequencers the TKB is unquantitized so there is no scale to be 1.0 or 1.2, the pads just trigger any pitch you set the knobs to.

Now some people will have a rear connection directly from the TKB to a quantitizer in another panel and then it would be 1.0, but that's not a given.

I should have thought of that I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't. hihi
ex_dead_teenager
cbm wrote:
What's going to be hard to rival with a system like this is the vibe/workflow of the Easel.

I've never even been in the same room as one so I don't know but is the work flow really that different? I guess it must be I wish they'd come out with a 200e Easel
alt-mode
ex_dead_teenager wrote:

I've never even been in the same room as one so I don't know but is the work flow really that different? I guess it must be I wish they'd come out with a 200e Easel

Yes, the workflow of the Easel is unique. If you spend some time looking at the layout of the 208 Stored Program Source module, you can see that there are a number of things that make it unique. Here are a few:

1. Switches for some functions to quickly change the sound dramatically. e.g. switching between AM/FM/Ring Mod for the modulation oscillator or switching the pulser between self triggered, keyboard triggered, or sequencer triggered.

2. The row of banana jacks along the bottom making it easy to swap a shorting plug between modulation sources without the clutter of patch cords.

3. Sliders - they really help the visualization of the sound.

4. A 5-step sequencer that can be quickly changed to 3 or 4 steps as well.

It is all in a rather compact but uncrowded space. Part of what makes the Easel unique is the package and that is hard to duplicate.
confusional
Redacted.
cbm
I'd like to add one thing to Eric's list:
2a - the uncorrelated random jacks are brilliant.
ex_dead_teenager
damn it you people are making me gas for an easel!
confusional
Redacted.
authorless
bradleyallen wrote:
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
damn it you people are making me gas for an easel!

I find it easier to not gas for things (like the Buchla Music Easel, and to a lesser degree the EMS Synthi VCS3) that are just flat-out not going to happen.

I still want my very own TARDIS and sonic screwdriver though. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

if i had a TARDIS and sonic screwdriver (they would go nicely with my really long, multi-color scarf) i would go get an easel
ex_dead_teenager
I would also love a tardis with a VCS3 inside so I can make the wooshing noises! Also a light saber
kkonkkrete
forgive me if I'm wrong (don't actually have a TKB ... yet), but I think that although the ABCD outs are unquantized, the 'keyboard' out is a fixed voltage for each touch plate, right? That would presumably be equal temperament under 1V/Oct scaling and therefore not equal temperament under 1.2V/Oct....
ex_dead_teenager
the plot thickens...
ndkent
kkonkkrete wrote:
forgive me if I'm wrong (don't actually have a TKB ... yet), but I think that although the ABCD outs are unquantized, the 'keyboard' out is a fixed voltage for each touch plate, right? That would presumably be equal temperament under 1V/Oct scaling and therefore not equal temperament under 1.2V/Oct....

You are right, there is a KV setting that equally steps the pads ignoring the pots.

Still you can always stick that output into two channels in a CV capable mixer and adjust one channel to 20% of the other.
chrisso
Yeah, but I always used the ABCD outs, and never the KV out.
The TKB really is a great controller, although I'm just as happy with my Buchla touchplate controller (CBS System 3).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1