MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Don Buchla documentary kick start
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Don Buchla documentary kick start
amnesia
Looks interesting and about bloody time!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/589078128/buchla-documentary
amnesia
I might be wrong but should't the title be
Californian Maverick not Califonia Maverick?
Bricks
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo indeed about time!
sascha.victoria
Has Don approved this project?
Shasta Cults
something tells me no since every time i've brought up the idea in the last 10 years the answer was no. guess it will happen either way
Minimoog56
Thus far we have only seen a montage based upon readily available Youtube and other nonoriginal source material. I suggest we wait for confirmation from B&A for their interest/support of this initiative,
kosh
Should be a great soundtrack too. Hope we'll get to see and hear from some Buchla legends... Susan Ciani, Morton Subotnick, Charles Cohen, Pauline Oliveros,etc as well as the new generation of players. I'd also love to hear from other synth makers on how Don influenced them. Maybe hear from Ezra on growing up Buchla. And certainly I want to know what happened during the whole San Francisco psychedelic (Buchla toned) heyday.
s o l v e n t
Minimoog56 wrote:
Thus far we have only seen a montage based upon readily available Youtube and other nonoriginal source material. I suggest we wait for confirmation from B&A for their interest/support of this initiative,

Of course I'm biased, and IMO they don't need support of B&A to make this happen, but you've totally hit the nail on the head: this trailer is comprised of nothing more than a handful of interviews + a whole lot of footage that they've grabbed from the internet. Clearing the rights for the footage from the trailer, alone, could cost more than we've spent on our entire budget of I Dream Of Wires, and we interviewed more than 100 people from all over North America, UK and Germany. Putting aside my bias and speaking from experience, there is no realistic basis for a documentary from this trailer.

BTW Don agreed to an interview for I Dream Of Wires... but then...? Not too sure what happened. We hope to follow up IDOW with a historical doc and sure hope we can make it work next time.
Bricks
I just assumed he was in on it and the point of the Kickstarter was to shoot more/better footage. Jumped to conclusions in the excitement that a Buchla doc might finally exist.
amnesia
I have asked Conny expressing our concerns.
sascha.victoria
Support from BEMI doesn't necessarily equal support from Don.

We've all seen plenty of docs that don't feature the main event or even key players to varying degrees of success or suck. If they put their minds to it, 'something' will get made. I just don't hope it's not like the YouTubes that get posted here which are cheered for seemingly because they exist.
amnesia
sascha.victoria wrote:
Support from BEMI doesn't necessarily equal support from Don.

We've all seen plenty of docs that don't feature the main event or even key players to varying degrees of success or suck. If they put their minds to it, 'something' will get made. I just don't hope it's not like the YouTubes that get posted here which are cheered for seemingly because they exist.

Not sure if the BEMI sentence was thinking I have anything to do with BEMI?? I just emailed Conny to express our concerns as Buchla fans and wanting the very best always :-) I just fucking adore my Buchla system, thats all I have to do with Buchla in any way, shape or form.
amnesia
Oh Conny is the lady who is on the Kickstart Buchla doco. I just emailed her about us Buchla Wigglers.
Borellus
amnesia wrote:
I might be wrong but should't the title be
Californian Maverick not Califonia Maverick?

"California" is commonly, if improperly, used as an adjective... at least it is frequently used that way by Californians (e.g., "California wines").
chrisso
I think it would make a good one hour on some arts cable tv network.
As such I don't think it would matter of it was sanctioned or not.
corkyburger
A decent historical documentary lives and dies by its archive. As Solvent points out, the costs for licensing the footage in the trailer alone would be sky high.

Just look at the Moog documentary from a few years back. I was quite underwhelmed by all the talking heads footage and drunken Rick Wakemen. There were so many holes.

A friend of mine (Ian Helliwell) recently made a documentary about a little known pioneering British inventor/electronic musician Fred Judd. Luckily he had direct access to Judd's huge Super 8 film archive and permission from Judd's widow to use it. It's well worth checking out for a alternative (to the well trodden Delia Derbyshire, daphne Oram, Radiophonic Workshop path) view of early electronics in the UK.

It's called Practical Electronica. Look out for it at film festivals. There is a screening of it at the upcoming 'PIoneers of Electronic Music' festival in London on the 17th of March. Ian and myself will also be performing Tristram Cary's 'Trios' on the same night.

http://www.nonclassical.co.uk/?p=3068

Didn't mean to hijack the post but it seemed relevant and worth mentioning.
s o l v e n t
Bricks wrote:
I just assumed he was in on it and the point of the Kickstarter was to shoot more/better footage. Jumped to conclusions in the excitement that a Buchla doc might finally exist.

My feeling is that a Kickstarter type preview should communicate the filmmaker's vision, or lack there-of. By comparison, the early IDOW trailer was shot & created entirely from director Robert's pocket $, has no archival footage, but shows so much vision. (I wasn't on board with IDOW when Robert created that trailer, so my initial judgement/impression of it was as an outsider).
sascha.victoria
I agree. Even the write up is terrible on that Kickstarter page. There isn't a complete sense of what you are signing up for. Will there be new legit interviews of those people, archival footage, associates, etc...? So many simple unanswered marketing questions...
Minimoog56
Ask Conny if she shot the footage at the SF Electronic Music Festival with BlindOldFreek that was shown in the trailer - that will answer some questions - My idea of a great successful and artful profile was the Fjellstad film of Moog. In retrospect "Moog" was not only a true homage but also a career capping document generously sharing personal insights from the man himself. It was a loving tribute from the artists he influenced and enabled. It bookended his life story from Queens to Asheville to Japan and beyond. Bob went out at the top of his game with his vision and company intact. He was able to recover his own name for commercial purposes and keep his integrity through out his life. The scene in the garden with him discussing growing tomatos and death was unforgettable.

Don should have the same opportunity to share a little about his vision and life lessons. It will take a great film maker to draw that out of him. This film should not just be for us fanboys and girls or it will be crap. Look at the Robert Crumb and Harvey Pekar films for examples of curmudgeons that came alive on the silver screen.

The current recreation of the easel would give a nice arc to a great documentary. Imagine using this as a narrative thread pulling together history, art and technology. So many highlights - the SF Tape Music Center, the Trips Festival, the 60's & 70's minimalist musical and visual avant garde, NASA, trips to mexico and all over the orld interacting with other kindred spirits through unique and crazy interfaces coming full circle with the 200e and easel. Don is a very witty and true spirit - this is an opportunity to share and celebrate.
amnesia
Anyone can contact Connie ( sorry I had a y on the end of her name) via the kickstart page. Thar's all I did. :-)
Shasta Cults
Quote:
Don should have the same opportunity to share a little about his vision and life lessons.

maybe he doesn't want a film about his life?
chrisso
Soooo true ^^^

Most people making a film like this would undertake a long form interview with the subject, then surround it with chronological film excerpts and commentary by renowned Buchlla users and other electronic music critics and commentators. But if the main subject has no interest........?
Minimoog56
I concur. In the little time I have spent with Don he has been most reticent about being nostalgic or reflecting. A good film/maker can draw their subject out but that is probably not in the cards. Too bad.
sascha.victoria
From the trailer:

"People say things about Buchla. He's grumpy, he's shy, he's aggressive, he's autistic..."

-Morton Sobotnik

Good luck to the docu makers!
amnesia
From Clarity Films

Don has given his consent to the project. This time he said yes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3