MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My definitive first couple rows of modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author My definitive first couple rows of modules
Blackened Justice
Okay, this is pretty much a continuation of this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6823

But I've pretty much decided on my first few modules, and to hear some opinions on it.

You should keep in mind that I will be pairing the modular with an MFB Kraftzwerg, so don't panic if you see no oscillators or CV sources.

I have to choose 2 filters between the Asol SY02, the Doepfer Wasp, the Boogie, or the Z2040. Soundwise, I know I love them all, but my favorites are the Wasp and the Boogie. On the other hand, the SY02 has 2 resonant peaks and individual cutoff points, plus an external audio VCA. The Z2040 offers 2 internal VCAs on the audio input/output and the FM input, which facilitates modulation, plus VC resonance. On the other other hand, the Boogie has individual outputs for 1,2,3 and 4 poles, with some of them being phase inverted, which would allow me to create HP or BP filters, with assymetrical slopes.

I'll probably get the Wasp right away, because it's much cheaper than the others, and the SY02 is perhaps a little too bulky and overpriced, but I wanted to hear your opinions. Hell, if my budget is bigger than I'm expecting, I may get the Wasp, the Boogie, the Z2040, a Tyme Sefari + SOT, a Doepfer Quad LFO, a Doepfer spring reverb, an AFG, a Bubblesound uLFO, a QMMG, a pair of Plague Beares and a SY02 in that order of priority.

Anyway, here it is, please comment on it. I'll be buying 4 rows of ghettoRack and some cables to go with it.
Blackened Justice
Okay, I've made the math and came to the conclusion that I could fit some more modules in my budget. That comes to a total of €1459 by the prices listed on the manufacturer's website and at the actual dollar->euro and pound->euro rates. I still have to decide on a case, but I'm leaning towards either 4 rows of ghettoRack or the CalArts case. I decided to put the Asol SY02 on the side at least right now, and instead added a quad LFO and a wave multiplier (figured I'd have to get something to filter besides saw and pulse waves). The ModDemod in there is to represent a future DIY project (obviously a dual Ken Stone's Real Ring Modulator). I may also get some of the new acrylic blank panels to fill the 2 empty rows. So here they are:
anselmi
"the modemod is out of production" the forum gurus said waah

other than that it looks like lot of options to complement your MFB...nice filters...

did you considere a vactrol unit other than the borg? I mean a more "traditional" lowpass gate with some operational modes?
richard
YMMV but I found the 143-3 to be a singularly useless module because its dumb and can't interact. I'd rather have two LFOs I could CV than 4 I couldn't. I'd think about the MFB dual LFO or the Livewire Vulcan.... all depends what you want to do of course.

richard
Chuck E. Jesus
i use the reset (sync) on lfos a lot, i wouldn't want four w/o that function...
Blackened Justice
About the modDemod, I already mentioned that it's there to represent a dual CGS real ring modulator I'll be doing in the future.

About the low pass gates, as I mentioned above, I'll add a QMMG sometime in the future to the system. For now, the Boogie will do as a LPG.

As for the quad LFO's, I intend to use them as my "stable" oscillators, in that they would be solely modulators and not modulated themselves. The dual MFB LFO on the Kraftzwerg will have to do for now as a cross-modulating LFO. And as I mentioned before, I intend to get a Bubblesound uLFO, a quadrature LFO and maybe a Vulcan modulator in the future, plus some more suited-for-audio oscillators that do LF too.
Blackened Justice
Okay, I have given it some more ponderation, and it seems those will definitely be my first rows of euro. I'll post my rackplanner images of an idealized "final" rack, even if it will end up radically different.

BTW, I was on youtube searching for wave multiplier demos, and this demo sold me completely on the quad LFO/wave multiplier combo:

Blackened Justice
Here they are:
Suburban Bather
A-161?
Blackened Justice
Hmm, yeah, I thought about putting it there ;D hehe. Well, I've been moving around stuff, and eliminated some multiples and moved the dual crossfader to the 3rd row, leaving that empty spot behind. I immediately thought about putting an a-161 in there, but then again, what would I gain from it, considering I have an a-152 in there?
DrOctave
did you rob a bank? just wondering that seems to be about 7000$ give or take a few 100$ to fill a monster case
Suburban Bather
I have both the A-152 and A-160/161 combo. The A-161 does not get neglected one bit. It baffles me why the 160 and 161 are separate modules seriously, i just don't get it
berfmurret
bitchin looking rig. no plan b though? that's fine and dandy.. but as of now the m10 is THE envelope.. hopefully that will change soon. but it really helps those qmmg vactrols!!

also to have a full monster rack and not have a stilton adapter and evin 209 makes me weep. those two together are so boner-riffic!!! the feedback loops are to die for and the matrix mixer by itself is useful x 100000!!!!!
Blackened Justice
DrOctave wrote:
did you rob a bank? just wondering that seems to be about 7000$ give or take a few 100$ to fill a monster case

Hehe, as I said, it's an idealized rack. I'll start with the Kraftzwerg and those 2 rows I posted above, because I've been saving up for a Nord C2 Combo Organ in the past few months, but in the meanwhile, I got into synths and now I have a €2500 budget to spend. So I'm spending €550 on the Kraftzwerg, about €250 on a nice CalArts case+PSU, and around €1450 on those 2 rows of modules. Which leaves me at €2250, for a system with 3 VCO's, 2 VCLFO's, 4 non-VCLFO's, 4 filters, 1 pitch->cv/env follower, 2 VC crossfaders, 1 bitcrusher, 1 wavemultiplier, 2 EG's, 3 VCA's, 3 mixers (plus one dedicated to the VCO's, 2 multiples, 2 attenuators, 1 amplifier, 1 offset/attenuator, 2 noise sources, 1 S&H (plus a S&H waveform on one of the MFB LFO's), 2 slew limiters and 1 audio divider. I'll probably get an M-Audio Axiom 61 to control the modular, plus some soft synths and stuff. The lack of mod wheels on my Roland keyboards (I have a D50 and an Alpha Juno 2, but my brother is currently in its possession) makes them impractical to control CV parameters.
So, with the Axiom, that leaves me at around €2500. Considering what a Minimoog costs, either a model D or a Voyager, I'd say it's an awesome deal, even if I were to use it only as a straightforward VCO-VCF-VCA configuration. But hey, Moogs are horribly overpriced. Maybe in 30 years, if I'm stinking rich (or if I rob a bank, hehe ;D), I'll have that idealized rack of euro, a nice Buchla 200e system, that huge 14,000$ dotcom system and a sweet little minimoog, ;D
DrOctave
i am to poor for buchla but i am just rich enough to get a nice euro going. 6 or18u racks is not nearly enough space for me. I was just wondering about the 2x 4 racks u posted granted they are a nice setup. I just wish i didnt have bills and all the other shit that drains the pocket. but looks good so far hope you enjoy the moneypit it is very rewarding.
Blackened Justice
Suburban Bather wrote:
I have both the A-152 and A-160/161 combo. The A-161 does not get neglected one bit. It baffles me why the 160 and 161 are separate modules seriously, i just don't get it

But can you do anything with the A-161 that you can't do with the A-152? And I think they should be seperate, what I don't understand is why they couldn't make the A-161 work standalone. I mean, all they had to do was put in a clock and a reset input (I realize they couldn't fit that on a 4HP panel, but still...).
Blackened Justice
Okay, an update, since I've had the Kraftzwerg for about 3 weeks, and I have a better idea of what I want from my system. The third row is basically stuff I still haven't decided on. I've toned down on number of filters (but added a QMMG), but I need to decide on either the Z2040, the Boogie or the Wasp. Also, I need to decide on a first noise/chaos/randomness/whatever source, between the Wogglebug and the Noisering. The Hertz Donut and Zorlon Cannon are modules I'll probably get afterwards.

Please give your opinion on it, and mention what you think on the issues I mentioned.
Blackened Justice
Anyone out there?
suboptimal
My two bits would be to wait on the second Drum-99 mixer to see if you really need it (you've got a ton of mixers), and that you'll want multiples. The quantizer practically demands it.
Reptil
Suburban Bather wrote:

a-160 + a-161 + another a-161?
Blackened Justice
suboptimal wrote:
My two bits would be to wait on the second Drum-99 mixer to see if you really need it (you've got a ton of mixers), and that you'll want multiples. The quantizer practically demands it.

Oh yeah, about multiples: I'll either go outboard or get some of the new tiptop pseudo banana minijack cables or regular y cables.
I figure I'm going to need polarizing mixers to mix CV or audio I want to do phase cancelling type of things, and the Drum-99's to mix regular audio or CV whose polarity isn't really relevant. Why do you think that's too many mixers?
suboptimal
The QMMG is also a mixer. It's not that it's clearly too many, but there's no reason to go whole-hog when you may not need to.
Blackened Justice
Maybe it is also a mixer, but if used like so, it'd be a $400, hp eating huge-ass mixer grin I realize it may be a bit overkill, and since I'll build the system gradually, I'll figure out my urgency, or its lack thereof, to get more mixers.

But anyway, I really need some help figuring out which filter to choose, and whether the noisering or the wogglebug will suit my needs.

About filters, I really love all the demos of the Boogie, but to make it more than low pass, I have to connect it to a mixer. But when that is done, it becomes an extremely powerful variable slope and LP/HP/BP filter. The fact than it can work as a LPG is also a nice plus. The Z2040 seems like an extremely powerful filter, allowing for very versatile FM and AM. Again, it is only LP unless connected to a polarizing mixer (the Boogie already has a pair of its outputs phase-reversed, so the mixer doesn't necessarily have to be able to polarize to be able to get the various slopes). It only has a single FM input, but with a pair of VCA's dedicated to modulation index and input level, it has a very nice share of features. It seems very useful as a sine oscillator. The Wasp filter is alot cheaper than the other two, and while it's not as shiny and pretty, I really like its sound. It has a pair of CV ins, and a pair of outputs. I'd like to try some of the stuff people mention, like patching the BP out into the CV in and make it self-oscillate. Of course, I would have to mod it to self oscillate, which I assume wouldn't be very hard to do.

Anyway, please consider that I already have a nice 24db/oct moogish filter in the Kraftzwerg, and give me some tips.
Blackened Justice
Anybody?
wetterberg
I wouldn't say the qmmg is overkill, even in a 6U system. it would most likely make it into my 3U system if I were to start anew.

I dont know man, so many of us are saying "get a qmmg", it seems like you'd like us to say something else somehow? hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2