MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy new year to everyone! Thanks for being part of this place, every year you all get cooler and cooler. Apologies to everyone waiting on me for PMs, emails, subforum creation, etc. The holidays have been super busy! I'll be catching up over the next week, please hit me up again at that point if I haven't gotten back to you yet. Sorry for the delay. Thanks! <3

BugBrand and company
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author BugBrand and company
a scanner darkly
I thought it'd be good to compliment pas's BugBrand Modular Solos thread with a thread for tracks where BugBrand is used with other gear as well, to hear it in a context.

I'll start with this trio, the drums are all MachineDrum and Cocoquantus plays a prominent role as well, the rest is Bug:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/buttons[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/so-what-westendboy-edit-2[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/bells-2[/s]
pas
Always lovely scanner, great tracks here, loving all three, I can't decide haha...

I didn't want to exclude folks w/ a bug exclusive thread I just wanted a place to present solo works & motivate us to push our systems & ourselves as far as we can...this thread is a perfect partner & really the bigger picture in terms of composition. Great idea scanner.
numan7
hyper can't wait to check these out later tonight (only had time for 1 minute of the 2nd one this moment - sounds great / running late... Dead Banana !)...

hmmm..... i'll probably post some tracks for this thread (the utterly amazing PEQ could probably fill a long, long thread all by itself, i'd imagine! Lotsa Love )...

cheers
a scanner darkly
Thanks guys! Guinness ftw!

pas - yeah, the idea was born after i failed several times to record anything for the Solo thread. Bug was just grooving so hard I had to throw some drums in there!

I think Cocoquantus compliments Bug really well, sound wise. And the fact that Peter's latest stuff (and zilaihong's amazing builds) use bananas - I think CL and Bug could be really good buddies. Haven't tried patching Bug and Coco together yet though, not sure about the voltages...
pas
When I first got my bugbrand system (used) it was more so set up as a voice to be used w/ external gear so I had little cv generating or processing to work w/ so basically my bug system sat tied to my coco & dual pb at all times & it was incredible. I never quite knew what would happen, but I could've lived a life w/ just those, they are an amazing pairing.

I need to dig up those recordings, I was in the middle of moving at the time so god knows where they are, but I had a few gems in there if I recall.
dogoftears
oh man i have a lot of oldies (not really that old, actually) that could go in this thread, but ill try and post something newer if i can soon. but at least this for now:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/dogoftears/just-kidding[/s]

as i recall... Bugbrand (less than 6U at the time!), Octatrack, Machinedrum, heavy multi tracking and editing in Logic, and i think also the SEM sneaks in there for an atmo or two... oh and a dead comedian. The OT mostly does midi sequencing, but also plays back the samples for the kick and bass (which were made with the Bug for this one).
a scanner darkly
Bangin! SlayerBadger!

I need to spend some more time with the little deFormer and integrate it better with the Bug so I could sample the Bug and use the LD as a drum machine of sorts, I hope the issues with the banana expander get resolved soon.
pas
kool dog, all about a good time w00t

Scanner, did you pick up an expander when Flemming had them? The issues don't make it useless, like Dan has said just use your dc mixer or equivalent & that's only for certain gates/pulses, I have lots of luck triggering it w/ certain modules & when it gets screwy I use the dc mixer. It can take some work on the LD getting precision beats, I think OT is more immediate for drums, but LD delivers more rewardingly odd rhythms. I don't really make beat oriented music so I'm not really in a position to comment, but when I do sample for percussion I usually use my ot, but wait, you have a machinedrum right, slave that to the bug for drums then process the mix in & out of LD.
a scanner darkly
No, didn't have the funds for the expander and then Flemming stopped selling the banana one... Will shoot him an email.

I do sync my MachineDrum to Bug but I was stupid and got the non UW version, so no sampling on the MD... Love the MachineDrum workflow but want to compliment it with some custom drum sets, and can't justify having both OT and LD right now (besides, that gives me the reason to spend more time with the deFormer, I feel I really need to put it on a separate table and spend several evenings just with it and without the Bug tempting me! :-)
dogoftears
friend let me borrow a Deformer so im going to give it a whirl in the next few weeks. i am really interested in some of the weird granular and pitch shifting effects... but i have to say i'm a bit disappointed i can't load my already carefully constructed and recorded Bug percussion kit on to it (no USB, really??).

but i can definitely say right off the bat there are enough differences to merit both an OT and an LD! hehe.
pas
Oh, I see, thought you had the expander. Non UW!? That's the best part. I have a serious love hate thing w/ md & the hate is deep for the 2.5mb sampling memory, ughh, such a great box & the tiny storage plus turbo midi ruin it for me. I've gone through 2 md's, will probably get another someday, why the fuck wasn't the mk2 compact flash accessible? Ughh, ok enough md venting. Yeah, I suggest sitting w/ LD for awhile, just make a simple, multi dynamic patch on the bug then lock it up & pass it through the LD, work it out. Make multiple presets specific to your needs & keep messing w/ them day by day.
pas
dogoftears wrote:
friend let me borrow a Deformer so im going to give it a whirl in the next few weeks. i am really interested in some of the weird granular and pitch shifting effects... but i have to say i'm a bit disappointed i can't load my already carefully constructed and recorded Bug percussion kit on to it (no USB, really??).

but i can definitely say right off the bat there are enough differences to merit both an OT and an LD! hehe.

Like I said, LD takes a lot of work, a lot of prep for samples especially. I use both ot & LD extensively, I see the deformer as something else though, I don't mind sampling direct w/ it...I guess I just see the LD as more an instrument rather than a performance oriented work box like ot.
otoskope
dogoftears - that track rocks!
/Palle
dan_p
dogoftears wrote:
but i have to say i'm a bit disappointed i can't load my already carefully constructed and recorded Bug percussion kit on to it (no USB, really??).

Come on Princess. USB!, fuck sake, you want it to wipe your arse as well hihi

I know what you mean, sometimes it would be nice to just import something and some kind of upload from a card or usb would be welcomed. But, the LD is a rough and ready don't be too precious or precise kind of box. Its a lot different to the OT. Stick with it and have a good play before you have to give it back. Its an amazing box if you get into it. I haven't even got close to exploring its potential but I consider it one of the best bits of gear I have. I think the forthcoming firmware update is going to be the tits.
pas
dan_p wrote:
the LD is a rough and ready don't be too precious or precise kind of box.

That was the sentence I was looking for, nicely put.
a scanner darkly
I started a thread on the LD a while ago, Dave - take a look when you get a chance!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74706&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0
a scanner darkly
Heard back from Flemming and sounds like he has no plans to release the banana expander in the nearest future, so I pulled the plug and ordered the minijack version.

Actually, either OT or MD would make a good companion to the LD, using them as a sequencer and plocking modulations via MIDI...

Anyway, we need more Bug jams before this gets completely off-topic smile
tIB
[s]http://soundcloud.com/tib/bugbeard[/s]

Friends being the xpander pad and airbase99 drums.

EDIT: Added a second part to this, with tinysizerfriend on bass. Oh, and MDUW & OT.
a scanner darkly
A lot of great sounds here! Is the Bug part multiple takes or one?
dogoftears
hey tIB that was like supa killa fly. i went to DL but it's mp3 only :( upload waveypooz??
tIB
^ ah, Ill upload it somewhere else and shoot a link later- I tend to only upload MP3's on the soundcloud. Cheers for the nice words, Ive been real pushed for time recently so music taken a back seat.

a scanner darkly wrote:
A lot of great sounds here! Is the Bug part multiple takes or one?

All in one take, although the version up now is two jams spliced. I pulled 7 voices out of the bug with the cirklon sequencing them.
dogoftears
got some got some got some

bugbrand + sidrassi + u-he zrev + michael norris spectral gate n hold + changa:

[bctrack]2969929607[/bctrack]

bugbrand + sidrassi + original SEM + changa:

[bctrack]3705305527[/bctrack]
a scanner darkly
Great odd grooves.
Can you describe a bit what's the Sidrassi's contribution here?

PS Ha, I had to look up "changa"... smile
dogoftears
a scanner darkly wrote:
Great odd grooves.
Can you describe a bit what's the Sidrassi's contribution here?

PS Ha, I had to look up "changa"... smile

the changa was crucial!!! hehe

sidrassi... i'm playing it the whole time in both. it's in there. if you know it's sound it should be fairly clear. no fx.... it has its own magical stereo presence. you can really pick it out cus it flickers from right to left speakers when i lift the barres.
slow_riot
in an alternative reality I think I'd like to be a filthy free flowing psytrance stoner, and perhaps this music gives me a chance to briefly play out this fantasy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7