Grayscale alternate panels: Make Noise Mimeophon + X-Pan

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm

meatbeatz wrote:Also any chance of a RES-4 panel while your at it?
jnlkrt volunteered to help with the RES-4. I'm probably not going to do any of the green Cwejman modules though, at least not in the near future.

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 am

These are awesome! Definitely making a pre-order or two, would buy them all if I could afford all the modules they belong to!

Well done! :yay:

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 am

why not make panels for diy stuff, seems to me more productive

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 am

Anyone going to pre-order a PEG? I'm guessing most people already got one... Don't wanna (temporarily) waste my $.

meta
Common Wiggler

Post by meta » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 am

This absolutely reeks of legitimacy. :sb:

I'm going to order at least one of these (QPLFO). Hopefully more!

Mans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mans » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 am

sempervirent wrote:
chinard wrote:wait, you doing cwejman panels too? what are you doing with them?
For now I want to offer plain aluminum panels for the newer white modules. However, I'm also thinking about offering green panels so the new modules will match the old ones. That would require a different fabrication and printing process but I've been thinking about doing that for a while. I won't offer aluminum panels for any existing green modules. Like ASys, that's too much of an undertaking. But there are a few modules that have both green and white panels (argh). Anyway, all my Cwejman modules are green so I will need to get reference panels to move forward with any of those. But MMF-2, MMF-6, BLD, CTG-VC, RG-6, and VCO-2RM are all possibilities.
Interesting! I was thinking about the possibility of going 'all white' (no idea how as of yet though) but the other way around is certainly not bad either..

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 am

de_raaf wrote:why not make panels for diy stuff, seems to me more productive
I'm not active in the DIY community but I'd certainly be open to providing panels. Also, I think most of the 4ms modules are available as kits. The Turing Machine is a future possibility as well.
LeFreq wrote:Anyone going to pre-order a PEG? I'm guessing most people already got one... Don't wanna (temporarily) waste my $.
The PEG has already been ordered and will be shipped out by the end of the month. See the link in my first post for the original thread. There are 7 extras available. I might be able to add a few more to the order if they're wanted.
meta wrote:I'm going to order at least one of these (QPLFO). Hopefully more!
Thanks. The QPLFO is not even out yet but I mocked up what an alt panel looked like, so I thought, why not put it up for now.

rockwoofstone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rockwoofstone » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 am

sempervirent Ah - you took the words out of my mouth - I was going to suggest the Turing Machine! :nana:

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:27 am

This is a great project - a service to the community - allowing us to better control the appearance and consistency of our own instruments, regardless of whatever specific attention-grabbing lunacy manufacturers decide upon

:tu: :tu: :tu:

You said no green cwej but to me it is those that offend, not the white ones, plus there are more of them out there. I'd buy an alt MX4S panel in a heartbeat btw... (The MMf2 won't be a good test of that BTW as there have been only 2 batches made and therefore not so many in circulation)

Good luck with all of it anyways
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:45 am

sempervirent wrote:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:ok - here's a real dumb question... i've never replaced a panel before. is it a simple case of unscrewing then rescrewing the nuts? is there a special tool for that?
Removing nuts around jacks and switches, and removing knobs, is pretty much all that's needed to replace a panel. You can remove the nuts with common hardware, for example hex nuts can be removed with a 5/16" nut driver (8mm for the metrically inclined). Removing knobs is not very difficult although some can be harder to take off than others. See this video on swapping Make Noise knobs for reference.
thanks! I'll deffo be pre-ordering some of these! :hyper:

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am

it would be a huge undertaking but if you did the entire Doepfer range I think it would be a big seller for you... and I know I would buy more Doepfer is they looked a bit more inspiring! (irrational I know, but aesthetics are important for me).

narwhal
Ultra Wiggler

Post by narwhal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 am

Kirk Degiorgio wrote:it would be a huge undertaking but if you did the entire Doepfer range I think it would be a big seller for you...
+1

mystico
4 million volt wiggler

Post by mystico » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 am

another vote for a RES-4 Panel here :razz:

kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

Post by kuxaan-sum » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 am

Wow, these look great!

I would probably be in for my 4ms modules.
Are you taking pre-order requests here or on your site?
the road to the sky leading to the umbilical cord of the universe...
kuxaan-sum
Space
Cloud
Tape
Tube

meta
Common Wiggler

Post by meta » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:06 am

How about a simple system on the site to suggest modules and vote on them?

Seems that would be a good way to gauge demand.

Besides QPLFO, I would buy three panels for a Make Noise Function and maybe WMD TBVCA.

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:16 am

As someone who has done this already, the only issue that can pop up with larger run modules and 3rd party panels is if the manufacturer changes parts slightly during runs of their modules which could cause slight shifts in cuts.

I would also suggest getting the blessing of manufacturers first, which could only help and potentially benefit the panel preparations.
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Al » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 am

Hanz wrote:You may want to consider making alternate Asys faceplates.
Cheap printing on the originals has often rubbed off, making them look tatty.
Also if this resolves the non-standard mounting hole spacing this would earn you a few fans.
An alternate panel for the RS60 with hole spacing would be awesome.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 pm

rockwoofstone wrote:sempervirent Ah - you took the words out of my mouth - I was going to suggest the Turing Machine!
Yeah, it was suggested in the PEG thread. I'm checking with Thonk.
richard wrote:You said no green cwej but to me it is those that offend, not the white ones, plus there are more of them out there. I'd buy an alt MX4S panel in a heartbeat btw... (The MMf2 won't be a good test of that BTW as there have been only 2 batches made and therefore not so many in circulation)
It's a good point. Cwejman doesn't have as many modules as Doepfer or ASys but it's still one of the largest systems. That's why I was going to focus on the white panels. But you're right about quantities. And that might apply to Cwejman as a whole.
kuxaan-sum wrote:I would probably be in for my 4ms modules.
Are you taking pre-order requests here or on your site?
I'm taking preorders through the site only. Just doing the PEG preorder was a challenge through the PM system. As far as requests for other panels, just send me a PM or email.
meta wrote:How about a simple system on the site to suggest modules and vote on them?
In the PEG thread, there were several people who were "in" that ended up not getting a panel. If people want to vote, they can preorder.

In terms of suggestions, feel free to PM or email.
meta wrote:Besides QPLFO, I would buy three panels for a Make Noise Function and maybe WMD TBVCA.
That's the third request I've had for the Function. I'll put it on the list and check with MN about the possibility.
qu.one wrote:I would also suggest getting the blessing of manufacturers first, which could only help and potentially benefit the panel preparations.
I have contacted most of the people whose modules I've designed panels for. Some never responded but most were totally OK with this. I agree that it can only help, based on the number of PMs and emails I've had where people said: if you do a panel for Module X, I'll buy the module, but I'm not buying it with the current panel.

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 pm

sempervirent wrote:...based on the number of PMs and emails I've had where people said: if you do a panel for Module X, I'll buy the module, but I'm not buying it with the current panel.
I had the same reactions and manufacturers should see it as another motivational pint to sell even more modules!
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:55 pm

IN the case of SSL, I hope so. I don't think people realize how awesome V-Gates is. They just don't like the panel I think.

As for the rest, I'm OK with Make Noise, in fact I like it, but the bright colors of 4ms always made me cringe.

Another one you might consider is the Subcon/Plan B m15. I've heard many say they wouldn't buy it with those graphics as well...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case /Launchpad Mini Mk3

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Would love to see your take on alternate maths/optomix panels.

meta
Common Wiggler

Post by meta » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 pm

I have a Subcon M15 and definitely would buy a non-staring-eyeballs panel for it.

Add one more for me! :75:

EDIT: I probably would buy alt panels for just about everything except Intellijel modules. I mean, these are just beautiful design. Fave is the Cyclebox!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Great looking suite of panels. Don't really understand the need to change cyclebox and mmf2 panels, but I guess somebody requested them. 4ms is a definite goer though. Hideous graphics on those all round. I actually like the ssl ones, and also maenoise stuff - although the function sticks out as looking distinctly rum. I don't tend to mind quirky designs, so long as they are well-implemented. The only one that still throws me is the wogglebug, so I might be up for one of those

To be honest though I've long since left the race to get uniformity in my case, as I swap stuff in and out so often, and have so many different manufacturers that it wouldn't be realistic to get them all looking the same. I've embraced the chaos, and have actually grown to like it. But then I actually like the look of blue lantern systems - they look absolutely nuts. Like a sweet shop full of colourful confectionery!

Uniformity achieved by cases full of one manufacturer DO look cool though - a load of livewire, makenoise, harvestman, addac et al looks beautiful. It's just the look of different manufacturers' modules with uniform knobs that never looks right to me for some reason

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm

matttech wrote:Great looking suite of panels. Don't really understand the need to change cyclebox and mmf2 panels, but I guess somebody requested them.
Thanks for the compliment. The Cyclebox 2 was the second panel I took on, after the PEG, just for my own reasons. It has been getting a few preorders so I'm glad other people like the design too.

The MMF-2 has more to do with the panel color than the design. Cwejman's modules overall have some of the best aesthetics in my opinion (and the best knobs!) but the white modules don't match the older green modules or most of the other stuff in Euro (which is black on aluminum). See this massive Cwejman system for example. Anyway, the Cwejman panels are still a big maybe, but it's good to hear some opinions about the idea.

johnnymayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnnymayer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:44 pm

These looooook gorgeous.

Two questions:

Vcamatrix: what about the screw holes for the screws for the knobs and button matrix mount towards the bottom?

And

Any chance of a maths alternate?!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”