Grayscale alternate panels: Make Noise Mimeophon + X-Pan

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:44 pm

This is awesome :hail:

Now to decide which ones... they all looks so cool. Definitely a Wogglebug. The SSL ones are :goo: :goo: :goo:

EDIT: Another vote for the Subcon m15/37.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:15 pm

for real, these are gorgeous. :rock:

I hope you get good run of MPC panels. you should consider including plastic washers.

also, I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned it, but I wonder if it would be good to show a tally of preorders in case any module is close to making the cut and just needs a little help?

igormpc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by igormpc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:49 pm

i really would like an euro quad 281

& DIY wogglebug #3
(i think this can be a variation from makenoise wogglebug that is on the page...)

:tu:

Rayek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rayek » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:15 pm

These are awesome. Will definitely be considering more Makenoise modules if there are better panel designs for them...

No offense to Makenoise, I love the creativity inherent in the design and functionality, but it seriously took me downloading the pdf manual of the René to see what the hieroglyphics on the front panel meant.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:21 pm

johnnymayer wrote:Vcamatrix: what about the screw holes for the screws for the knobs and button matrix mount towards the bottom?
Good catch. I haven't made the final template for that one yet, but I guess this technically qualifies as catching an error, so there's a VCAM panel with your name on it if you want one.
johnnymayer wrote:Any chance of a maths alternate?!
I actually like the Maths panel a lot, but it's true that the typeface could be more legible and some of the functionality could be more clear. I've only asked Tony about the Wogglebug thus far.
CF3 wrote:EDIT: Another vote for the Subcon m15/37.
I've had the M15/37 on my list. I would need to borrow a panel to do this one as I don't own or have access to either module.
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:also, I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned it, but I wonder if it would be good to show a tally of preorders in case any module is close to making the cut and just needs a little help?
I'm working on that now, just need to pull off a little database magic before I make it public.
Last edited by sempervirent on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 pm

those cwejman panels are extremely nice and very expensive... could never change a grey one even with only one of them in the case. i can kind of see wanting to change the white ones to grey, but those really nice too.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:35 pm

wavehead wrote:those cwejman panels are extremely nice and very expensive... could never change a grey one even with only one of them in the case. i can kind of see wanting to change the white ones to grey, but those really nice too.
I really like the gray/green modules too. I have some in my case and they don't bother me at all. I don't know that those panels are particularly expensive though. The finish is a standard powdercoat color and last time I got powdercoating estimates for 5U panels they were about $10 each.

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 pm

maybe you are right and i just assumed due to cwejman voodoo rationalization. regardless grey cwejman is the best paneling i've seen on any module (would love to get some of the jacks he uses but i think those are totally custom).

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Small update: I ordered 10 extra PEG panels and five have already been sold. If anyone else thinks they're going to order a PEG, let me know so I can get a few more added to the original order before production begins. Unlike the other panels, the PEG has already been ordered and will be shipped out within a few weeks.

http://grayscale.info/panels/4ms-peg/

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 am

Ardcore and Modulation Orgy for me :-)

Can you add us to a mailing list?

spacecabinet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spacecabinet » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 am

sempervirent wrote:Small update: I ordered 10 extra PEG panels and five have already been sold. If anyone else thinks they're going to order a PEG, let me know so I can get a few more added to the original order before production begins. Unlike the other panels, the PEG has already been ordered and will be shipped out within a few weeks.

http://grayscale.info/panels/4ms-peg/
Beautiful panels! I just placed an order for a PEG and paid. I hope I made it in time! Thanks for doing this!

Damo303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Damo303 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:31 am

Really don't get the negativity around Doepfer's panels and knobs. I think they look great! Nice, clean and minimal. Easy to read and I absolutely love the monotone feel. I think they look awful when people put alternative black knobs on. Leave them be, IMO there is nothing you can do to improve the look of them, it's German design perfection!

What I love about these alternative panel designs is that they follow the same design principles as the Doepfer ones - minimal and precise. Ordered!

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:36 am

Doepfers knobs are awful in feel.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:44 am

Doepfer panel design = awesome. clean, great spacing, legible, classy, great typography.

Doepfer knobs = ok feel and sort of ok look, but terrible that the color tries to match the grey of the panel. better if it contrasts like black, just like Manhattan Analog, Synth Tech, Pittsburgh, Malekko/Wiard, MakeNoise, Intellijel, and many others.

anyhow these panels are so gorgeous it makes me want to buy a Cyclebox and V-Gates.
Last edited by bouzoukijoe1 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 am

+1 for awful feeling.

Hard plastic. I don't mind the graphics though. They're not intrusive in anyway. Not particularly interesting either. I think Intellijel lately has some really nice panel designs. Minimal but still attractive and well thought out. I especially like the black boxes around all output jacks. I wish others would do that as well. (Besides cwejman, who has been doing it all along...)
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 am

Great panels, I like the Cyclebox especially.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:37 am

amnesia wrote:Doepfers knobs are awful in feel.
Yeah, the potis have a "set and forget" feel to them, as they turn really hard. I replaced all mine, looks great and gives a bit more traktion.

nf
Common Wiggler

Post by nf » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:46 am

Just preordered the Ardcore panel. Nice clean design.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:51 am

Lovely panels, but why anyone would want to change the RES-4 is beyond me :despair: :lol:

I've changed a few of my Doepfer knobs, but the stiffness is due to the potentiometers.

jnlkrt

Post by jnlkrt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:03 am

Navs wrote:Lovely panels, but why anyone would want to change the RES-4 is beyond me :despair: :lol:
well, if you..

1. have the Res-4 sitting among modules with silver aluminum panels
2. are pretty OCD about the aesthetics of your instrument
3. have a rather worn out faceplate from the previous owner

..then it may not seem to be such a bad idea to get a replacement for it's panel. :)

i suppose for most people it's about matching the panel colors, cwejman modules stick out pretty bad.

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 am

mckenic wrote:Me too!

I ordered one as I like it more than the black one being offered by Snazzy... Perhaps we should point him to this thread, there could be some collab!
+1 - i had my head in my hands when i saw Snazzy's black panel. After all the feedback that was given about the colour AND design - he just changed the colour and used the same design. This one is much cleaner and clearer. I'll be ordering this one.

johnnymayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnnymayer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 am

sempervirent wrote:
johnnymayer wrote:Vcamatrix: what about the screw holes for the screws for the knobs and button matrix mount towards the bottom?

Good catch. I haven't made the final template for that one yet, but I guess this technically qualifies as catching an error, so there's a VCAM panel with your name on it if you want one.
sweet. i'll have to take you up on that!

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 am

spacecabinet wrote:Beautiful panels! I just placed an order for a PEG and paid. I hope I made it in time! Thanks for doing this!
Yes, not a problem. There are three PEG panels left now, I'm going to check and see if I can add a few more to the order. If anybody else is thinking that they will get one eventually, let me know.
amnesia wrote:Can you add us to a mailing list?
Sure, I got your message, I'll try to set that up eventually.

pr0t0
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pr0t0 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:16 pm

The Woggle is a beauty. Way classier and clearer than the original. Its incredible how panel design can affect your relation with modules.
FS - VC Noiz, QPLFO, SSM & Expander, Digital VCA, G8, Stoichea, ModDemix

blastitol
Common Wiggler

Post by blastitol » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 pm

[quote="meta"]I have a Subcon M15 and definitely would buy a non-staring-eyeballs panel for it.

+1 :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”