Demo Video of Nyle Steiner's 24 Vactrol String Filter

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

emmaker
Wiggling with Experience

Post by emmaker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Really, really liked the EVI playing. And, yes, it reminded me of Kevin Braheny too.

Now is it 24 filters that have their outputs controlled by the vactrols or is it 24 filters that have their frequency controlled by the vactrols?

Thanks for the demo!
Jay S.

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:07 pm

emmaker wrote:Really, really liked the EVI playing. And, yes, it reminded me of Kevin Braheny too.

Now is it 24 filters that have their outputs controlled by the vactrols or is it 24 filters that have their frequency controlled by the vactrols?

Thanks for the demo!
Jay S.
Good question... the vactrols control the sweep.

Thanks for listening! :)
Last edited by Infrablue on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 pm

poppinger wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:Also I seem to recall the vocoder plug-in in Logic could be used to process signals in this way.
That's exactly what it reminded me of because I used to use that sound ALL THE TIME. It'd be cool to have a voltage controlled version of it.

The demo is fantastic, by the way. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
Thank you!

I use Logic Pro. I'm going to run some EVI Saw through it's effects and try out what you are talking about.

Is it the spectral gate? Vocoder?

I'll see if I can get that string sound etc...

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm

monstrinho wrote:Wow, the sounds in that second video were just gorgeous. How many other gems like this does Nyle have hidden away? I would just love to see his designs made available on a wider basis. This thing in particular is something I could see myself using a lot. I'd really like to hear some real brass and woodwinds processed through it... The sounds you got out of it with the EVI are exactly like a patch I worked on for more than a year on the Korg Prophecy (except, of course, that the Steiner filter sounds much, much better). It's funny, all of that R&D to create "physical modeling" and yet the Steiner filter blows it away with the flick of a switch. Magic!
Thank you so much for your kind words!

Definitly, at this time, my favorite tones are the analog. But I do love samples and modeling (I'm actually a part time model... not really). The flutish sound at the end of my 2nd video is a little analog saw mixed with a VL70m flute model.

Still the analog wins it for me. it'll be nice when the day comes we have the resolution to fully do what the analog does with digital models etc. Or maybe just the day when robots will play real instruments from a midi in etc. with the expression and feel of a human. Orchestrions are way cool but not anywhere near that yet. But they have a cool charm.

There is a youtube video... I should look it up... with a Poly Moog Resonator shaping another analog brass sound and it is the most amazingly real trombone section!!

It really changed my approaches with the EVI and I run it through a lot of parallel filter banks etc and get some reed and horn instruments from other planets with some really unusual tones. Developing those for my current recording stuff I'm doing.

I still have yet to get that trombone sound like on that video. I think it's about using multiple high pass filters on that one so I may mod my Doepfer A-127 VC Triple Resonance Filter for high pass.

Doepfer's Trautonium filter is also amazing for this kind of thing. This or the triple just used as a static filter bank to model a instrument body is killer.

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:38 pm

monstrinho wrote:How many other gems like this does Nyle have hidden away?
As any surface I'll get them documented for sure! :) He actually does play (mini) harmonica while walking on his hands. I've seen him do that up stairs even. Maybe I should roll the camera for that. He really does a lot of funny stuff.

poppinger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by poppinger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Infrablue wrote:
poppinger wrote:That's exactly what it reminded me of because I used to use that sound ALL THE TIME. It'd be cool to have a voltage controlled version of it.

Thank you!

I use Logic Pro. I'm going to run some EVI Saw through it's effects and try out what you are talking about.

Yeah the EVOC20 filterbank plugin (the one you insert on a channel.)

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 am

oops... wrong wave uploaded... will bounce again...

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 am

poppinger wrote:
Infrablue wrote:
poppinger wrote:That's exactly what it reminded me of because I used to use that sound ALL THE TIME. It'd be cool to have a voltage controlled version of it.

Thank you!

Yeah the EVOC20 filterbank plugin (the one you insert on a channel.)
Wow, so you guys are right, here it is... a 40 stage digital string filter using EVOC 20 (x2) in Logic Pro. Just did a quick build of it tonight. Could be fine tuned.

Using 2 EVOC 20 Filter Banks in Logic Pro (one at the top half, one at the bottom half of the audio spectrum) to make a digital 40 stage band pass filter bank (static) to try to do a violin sound.

Worked out pretty well and I like how this plug in lets you spread the bands through the stereo spectrum. This is a quick and dirty version and fine tuning and EQing over all may really get this string filter going. But it's pretty good I think.

First half is Steiner EVI playing a Sawtooth wave. 2nd half is the same performance with the 40 stage filter. Same reverb settings on both.

Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/monkeydrums/40-s ... ing-filter

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

For any interested following here... today I posted a new demo video of the now completed string/ring controller I used in a demo video earlier in this thread.

Again there is more use of Nyle's string filter quite a bit. In the last, strange sounding cello voice it also has a pretty different attack envelope before the string filter that really has a nice pluck... it's also made pretty unusual with some heavy feedback bbd delay... almost to the point of a "Metallique" style gong speaker. I was doing that to sort of simulate that kind of sound made by the original Ondes Martenot.

Here's the youtube link: [video] [/video]

Image of finished instrument:

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:12 am

:eek: :woah: :hail:

This thread is amazing.
Excellent examples of DIY controller instrument, breath control, and lovely filter.

spinach_pizza
knobs . . . knobs . . . KNOBS!

Post by spinach_pizza » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 pm

This is excellent. :tu:

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks so much, you guys!
New Breath Control Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTiWw4rL ... bAqEVbUEOE
Lifeform Blues (wind synth/EVI at about 4:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4VpSFhVa1I
My demo of the Steiner 24 Stage Vactrol Phase Shifter/String Filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1-A_dYY6Y
Site for my classical/modular/wind synth project:http://thepinesofmars.com/

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:39 pm

:yay:

LNerell
Common Wiggler

Post by LNerell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:18 pm

chamomileshark wrote:very nice, especially the EVI playing.

The sound reminded me of Kevin Braheny - I always wondered why it was a string sound he got from the EVI, I didn't know there was a string filter in them - or maybe he had one of the filters you demo'd.
Kevin plays an EWI and his was customized quite a bit and has that string filter in it. He did some work for Neil back in the mid 80s basically helping him catch up with his backlog of orders. In exchange he got to build himself a string filter for his own EWI. At least that's what I remember him telling me back then when I was recording him and Steve Roach for Steve's Dreamtime Return album.

Not all EWI's/EVI's have that filter. I have an old Crumar version of the EVI and it doesn't have that, just a normal lowpass one if I remember. I always wanted to get my EVI modified but never did. Oh well, thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'd love to see this filter in production.

Infrablue
This sentence is false

Post by Infrablue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 pm

LNerell wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:very nice, especially the EVI playing.

The sound reminded me of Kevin Braheny - I always wondered why it was a string sound he got from the EVI, I didn't know there was a string filter in them - or maybe he had one of the filters you demo'd.
Kevin plays an EWI and his was customized quite a bit and has that string filter in it. He did some work for Neil back in the mid 80s basically helping him catch up with his backlog of orders. In exchange he got to build himself a string filter for his own EWI. At least that's what I remember him telling me back then when I was recording him and Steve Roach for Steve's Dreamtime Return album.

Not all EWI's/EVI's have that filter. I have an old Crumar version of the EVI and it doesn't have that, just a normal lowpass one if I remember. I always wanted to get my EVI modified but never did. Oh well, thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'd love to see this filter in production.
Thank you so much!

The Crumars sound and look great, but yes no string filter. I learned on a prototype of the Crumar version.

The first version of the Akai EWI/EVI's do have a module with the string filter. I hope to see it out there but it may never be.

I would really like to try out the new Pittsburgh Modular Phase Shifter and see if it can do a string filter like this... it seems it has the stuff for it so that could be a way.

I've also built a similar 40 stage phaser in Logic but it's simply a great proof of concept and it's digital sounds is nothing near the analog directions for this.

The Akai string filters do sound quite nice. 18 stages I think but they are analog and do sound great.
New Breath Control Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTiWw4rL ... bAqEVbUEOE
Lifeform Blues (wind synth/EVI at about 4:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4VpSFhVa1I
My demo of the Steiner 24 Stage Vactrol Phase Shifter/String Filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1-A_dYY6Y
Site for my classical/modular/wind synth project:http://thepinesofmars.com/

Return to “General Gear”