MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Speakers for studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Speakers for studio
DrOctave
I am looking for some studio monitors nice ones in around 500-800$ range any input would be great . the 2 xs 15s and horns need replacement for better sound quality
dude
krk rokit rp8's or rp5's sound really good to me and if i were to replace my current monitirs, those are the ones i'd get for sure. i have these little things call nht pro m-00. i like them well enough. they are very small and pretty realistic sounding. these are all powered monitors...wait, maybe you are looking for regular speakers? ah, themz my .02
DrOctave
i am looking for powered active monitors i believe. i want accurate sound.
dude
ok, the ones i described fit that bill perfectly.
scozbor
you need to go and listen to some yourself and see what you like.
differences between adam, krk, event, mackie, etc are largely subjective i think.

you will be getting great speakers if you choose any of the bigger well respected brands.
dude
what he said
DrOctave
well i allways just listen to my stuff on my cabnits 2 15s and horns and my buddy said i should get a pair of nice monitors cause i am probly missing out. so i guess it really don't matter but if i am missing out i want to see if i can afford to close the gap if that makes sence. i never gave clarity much thought i just allways liked it louder and louder and louder.
science
For the pair, or each?

I'd say toss another $200 in there and get the Adam A7. They're incredible monitors for the price.
Babaluma
it's so subjective. you should really only be listening to your own ears, not other people's recommendations. find a dealer that will let you try out a few pairs in your price range in your own studio for a week or more, and see what works for you. for that kind of price you aren't going to get any where near "accurate" or "flat" anyway (both of those terms suggest to me a speaker with a pretty flat response from below 20Hz to way above 20KHz, and i defy anyone to name a prosumer near field monitor that can do that).

i've used yamaha msp5 and msp5 studios for the last 9 years and i absolutely love them, but loads of people hate them and think they sound like rubbish. you'll find the same polarised responses about all monitors in this price range (and a lot higher too).

a bit more dosh and you're talking adam a7 territory, a bit more still and you could go for a nice pair of focal solo 6 be.
XXXEsq
I'm using a pair of Mackie HR824s and love them. They are available on the used market well within your price range. Many top studios use them for near fields so you will have a pretty good base line to work from.
panda30y
Babaluma is right, you should demo monitors yourself. Yamaha NS10's are considered shit monitors by many people, but they are also fantastic to mix on according to many of the same people. In the end, you become use to mixing on any speaker, and will be able to compensate. I have Alesis M1's in my room, they are a little bass heavy, but many people are able to mix fine on them.

Ultimately what is perhaps most important is if you like the sound yourself. Are they fatiguing over time? How detailed are they?

You really won't know the answers to any of these until you demo speakers yourself.

From personal experience, the KRK's are pretty solid, and the Adam A7 are better if you save a bit more. Tannoy's are quite nice, but I've never looked at their price range. I've always heard great things about Event monitors, but never demoed them. If you want to eliminate any doubts, just buy some barefoots! love But they are about 4x your desired budget. waah cry
gmcerveny
KRK is the eurorack of awesomeness.
tragedybysyntax
I roll with HR824's and avantone....... love mixing in mono, only snap over to the mackie's for stereo tricks and lowend. smile
bf
Babaluma wrote:
find a dealer that will let you try out a few pairs in your price range in your own studio for a week or more, and see what works for you.
^this
Anything you try in a store will likely sound very different in your environment.
panda30y
bf wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
find a dealer that will let you try out a few pairs in your price range in your own studio for a week or more, and see what works for you.
^this
Anything you try in a store will likely sound very different in your environment.

True, but regardless he'll have a better opinion on what they will sound like than reading other people's comments. There's always a bit of room treatment involved if one is really serious about their sound.
DrOctave
one more question. why use powered monitors over a reviever/amp and passive monitors? or is it just preferance?
dude
simpler/less components/preference
DrOctave
thanks
panda30y
DrOctave wrote:
one more question. why use powered monitors over a reviever/amp and passive monitors? or is it just preferance?

If you have a good receiver already, by all means get a passive monitor, but for most people who don't, it's just simpler to just get some powered monitors.

It's like guitar amps. You can buy a great amp head and match it with a fantastic cabinet, or just buy a combo amp.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1