MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tablet (bluetooth) to Modular 16channel module: RC1radiostar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> soundmachines Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Tablet (bluetooth) to Modular 16channel module: RC1radiostar
soundmachines
This could be of your interest.
Just made this video, the module will be produced soon:

8 x 0-5V voltage output (with very low offset output buffers)
8 x -10V +10V voltage output
8 x GATES out (5V or 12V)

The module will have also (not shown here) a sequencer core, 16 analog tracks + 8 gate tracks. The user interface will reside on the tablet (or pc, or smartphone, or whatever object you have with BT2.0 or BT4.0.

The tablet in the video is a cheap-ass 80$ thingie, with a BT dongle found in the drawer....

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davide
We are writing right now a simple app for iOS.
anselmi
great!

I´m waiting for your voice-synth and drum sequencer modules!

where they will be released???
READYdot
Now sir, this is pretty awesome I must say! Really, really pretty awesome. Especially the use of bluetooth is brilliant, so easy to set up and all. Great!
Put me on the list!!!
soundmachines
I've got 10 of those and 10 RB1's with no panels.
Panels for the Rb1robotto (as long as a batch of 90 pcs) is coming soon.
Panel for RC1radiostar are still to be manufactured...
Few weeks should be ok.
DonKartofflo
GEMA on the video?! woah
Sounds really cool for iPad performance! thumbs up
qfactor
This COULD evolve into a tablet-controlled Voltage device like Silent Way, no? love
mckenic
Perhaps I am stupidly not fully understanding...

Would it be possible to have this as a template for Lemur or TouchOSC and have that sent out over BT?
mmelnick
I want that

applause
ultrashock
brilliant!
how many HPs are to be expected?
soundmachines
DonKartofflo wrote:
GEMA on the video?! woah
Sounds really cool for iPad performance! thumbs up

GEMA because Chemical Bros !!!
soundmachines
anselmi wrote:
great!

I´m waiting for your voice-synth and drum sequencer modules!

where they will be released???

RB1robotto is completed but we had a problem with panels. Now we've got the good ones and waiting for 100pcs boards to put on the shop/distributors !!!

Drum sequencer is under concept proto (still some choices are open...)

We are finishing the prototypes of the LS1lightstrip!
soundmachines
READYdot wrote:
Now sir, this is pretty awesome I must say! Really, really pretty awesome. Especially the use of bluetooth is brilliant, so easy to set up and all. Great!
Put me on the list!!!

Yes, we wanted to get rid of the standard "computer + cables + multichannel audio interface" and go straight from your controlling device INTO the modular!!

Performance is very good for live mangling.

Keep in mind that the unit also performs (this will be a firmware update, is sufficient to put a micro SD in the module) as a 16+8 tracks sequencer, with sequences stored on board (hence tight timing!)...
soundmachines
qfactor wrote:
This COULD evolve into a tablet-controlled Voltage device like Silent Way, no? love

This IS something like that.
Just don't expect FAST envelopes or AUDIO RATE modulations.

Please have a look at hte product page: http://www.sound-machines.it/?page_id=35
flashheart
So how does it communicate? Touch OSC, or are the CVs specific to the software you using on the tablet?
I'd love something like this to that just does computer out (touchOSC / Silent Way)) to CV w/o having to go via an intermediary like MIDI or ADAT conversion.
soundmachines
mckenic wrote:

Would it be possible to have this as a template for Lemur or TouchOSC and have that sent out over BT?

I don't understand either smile. The RC1radiostar is an eurorack module. The software that you are seeing on the tablet is an Android App that just instructs the module (via BT) how to behave (gates and analog voltages out).

Up to now the protocol that we use over bluetooth is binary, to use the bandwidth at the maximum.

Is possible to have a firmware that responds to OSC messages over BT (nothing has ever been tested in this regards..) but I'm expecting to have less 'throughput' on the BT channel. In any case, OSC compatibility is on the roadmap. We just have to ask the guys of TouchOSC or LEMUR to work on the Bluetooth SPP (or proprietary profile for BT4.0 for iOS) as another communication channel. That could definitely be done without much hassle.

cheers!

Please have a look here:

http://www.sound-machines.it/?page_id=35
soundmachines
flashheart wrote:
So how does it communicate? Touch OSC, or are the CVs specific to the software you using on the tablet?
I'd love something like this to that just does computer out (touchOSC / Silent Way)) to CV w/o having to go via an intermediary like MIDI or ADAT conversion.

We have two different mode of communication depending on which bluetooth technology is implied.

IF we are using standard BT2.0 we are just building binary packets with all the analog and digital values and send them through the SPP profile.

IF we are using low energy BT4.0 (as in the new Apple iOS stuff) we have build a proprietary 'transport' protocol to send and receive data. This is under construction.

If you have a look at the product page on the site we mention a future expansion module that simply will have an ethernet interface and it will respond to OSC messages.
This is also theoretically possible over bluetooth, but there are no present implementation up to today. Anyway, OSC is a very simple stuff, everything is ASCII and, apart from 'longer' messages (with respect to binary) I can see no problems in putting this to work.

It is HIGHLY probable that in the near future we open the source code of the RC1.
soundmachines
ultrashock wrote:
brilliant!
how many HPs are to be expected?

28hp!

cheers
komyta
That's very exciting. I'd love to get rid of the laptop and use a tablet instead.
VCOscillator
Very interesting indeed!

I like the idea of just buying a cheap tablet and dedicating it as a wireless sequencer, looking forward to more info thumbs up
tommaso
Near me love I can't believe it's true applause

Forza ragazzi!!!
soundmachines
Just to clear up some stuff (the video shows a lot of the application but a little time is on the module itself. This is the setup used in the video:

The RC1 is on the right lower corner of the case.
You can spot, apart from the jacks, a upper right corner with some buttons and switches. Those are for bluetooth pairing/resetting and for the Sequencer commands and signals (see website). You can also see through the polycarbonate a microSD socket and a USB connector.
We are planning to use the microSD with a bootloader to permit the upgrading of the firmware. the platform is a rather capable 32bit microcontroller with plenty of horsepower AND two high performance 12bit DACs coupled with very precise voltage references. The buffer op-amps are socketed to allow substitution in case of... shit happening.
The opamps for the pitch are high-end, ultra low offset parts.
As you can see all of the modulation outputs (the first row, capable of -10 to +10V outputs, always 12bit resolution) are all used, whereas only the first pitch out (precise 0-5V, 12bit) is connected to the cumulative pitch cv of the kraftzwerg. Obviously the distinction between pitch and mod is entirely up to you!
For example in this setup we have:
-mod1 connected to the LFO speed cv
-mod 2 is controlling a VCA that attenuates the LFO out INTO the oscillators FM
-mod3 is the kraftzwerg filter cutoff
-mod4 is the kraftzwer resonance
-mod5 is the wasp filter cutoff
-mod6 is doepfer sampler sample rate
-mod7 is the doepfer bitcrusher BIT depth
-mod8 is the doepfer sample rate
-pitch1 and gate1 are the 'tempered' stuff
-mod6 and gate6 controls the sample rate and the trigger of the doepfer sampler!

With all of this going on you still have:

6 gate/trigger output
7 0-5V outputs

Plenty of possibilities, but I have a really small modular Guinness ftw!

Ah... I'm dealing with someone that could manufacture a 5U version! thumbs up

Cheers
djthopa
looking good!
hanerlend
soundmachines wrote:
mckenic wrote:

I don't understand either smile. The RC1radiostar is an eurorack module. The software that you are seeing on the tablet is an Android App that just instructs the module (via BT) how to behave (gates and analog voltages out).

Up to now the protocol that we use over bluetooth is binary, to use the bandwidth at the maximum.

Is possible to have a firmware that responds to OSC messages over BT (nothing has ever been tested in this regards..) but I'm expecting to have less 'throughput' on the BT channel. In any case, OSC compatibility is on the roadmap. We just have to ask the guys of TouchOSC or LEMUR to work on the Bluetooth SPP (or proprietary profile for BT4.0 for iOS) as another communication channel. That could definitely be done without much hassle.

cheers!

Please have a look here:

for ios, you could have a "transmitter app" in the background, communicating with other ios apps via midi (/osc/whatever?), like IK Multimedia is about to do with their Bluetooth stomp-box they released at namm. (blueboard or whatever they named it) This means you can still have binary Bluetooth communication / maximum throughput while accepting midi (and poosinly osc?).

oh, and this looks GREAT by the way! It's peanut butter jelly time!

-han
hanerlend
btw. any chance of a smaller, 3xmini-din version? (like the tiptop poly modules)
soundmachines
hanerlend wrote:
soundmachines wrote:
mckenic wrote:

cheers!

Please have a look here:

for ios, you could have a "transmitter app" in the background, communicating with other ios apps via midi (/osc/whatever?), like IK Multimedia is about to do with their Bluetooth stomp-box they released at namm. (blueboard or whatever they named it) This means you can still have binary Bluetooth communication / maximum throughput while accepting midi (and poosinly osc?).

oh, and this looks GREAT by the way! It's peanut butter jelly time!

-han

Yeah possiblities are endless. For now we will develop a similar app for iOS and possibly leave to third party developers (by opening up the protocol, and maybe all the firmware of the module) further integrations and applications, comprising the iOS ecosystem interfacing with other 'audio' or 'midi' apps....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> soundmachines Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2