MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ADDAC PSU linear or switched?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author ADDAC PSU linear or switched?
DonKartofflo
Hey Everybody,

after reading the very interesting discussion about PSUs in the eurorack forum, I wondered wether the PSU Addac offers is linear or switched?
Ever since Tiptop discontinued the Zeus, I have been left with only one active board and looking for alternatives...

cheers
Don
n_m
I was wondering the exact same thing after reading that thread. I have no system yet and I'm looking at alternatives to Doepfer, specifically the portable ADDAC PSU, as it sits outside the case.

Just checked and there are no specs listed for the PSUs on the ADDAC website.

DonKartofflo wrote:
Hey Everybody,

after reading the very interesting discussion about PSUs in the eurorack forum, I wondered wether the PSU Addac offers is linear or switched?
Ever since Tiptop discontinued the Zeus, I have been left with only one active board and looking for alternatives...

cheers
Don
DonKartofflo
my guess then is that it is switched. normally, manufacturers would want to inform folks if a psu is of the expensive and sought after linear kind?
I would love to hear different facts though seriously, i just don't get it
bj_gzp
They are of the switched kind.
I have now a total of 4 ADDAC PSU in my cases and have no issue with them.

bj
n_m
Ha! Thanks for the info!

Do you use the fan often? Is it noisy?

I assume it's not always needed, but it should increase durability for components on the PSU, no?

bj_gzp wrote:
They are of the switched kind.
I have now a total of 4 ADDAC PSU in my cases and have no issue with them.

bj
ultrashock
nice question actually.
if you see the photo of baby frames, it is definitely linear PSU inside:
http://www.addacsystem.com/sites/default/files/styles/wide/public/prod ucts/1382/ADDAC901B_1.jpg
however some 'angeled' and 'wood' frame cases definitely have something switched-looking inside:
http://www.addacsystem.com/sites/default/files/styles/wide/public/prod ucts/1382/ADDAC901_Stack.jpg
http://www.addacsystem.com/sites/default/files/styles/wide/public/prod ucts/1382/ADDAC901A_6U_big.jpg
bj_gzp
I have 2 PSU in a 12U Tabletop frame, 1 PSU in a 3U frame, 1 PSU in a 6U angled Frame and 1 External PSU (the small one). All these use the same switching PSU as seen. Plus passive 3U Flat frame (skiff) + 1 3u Frame, i hook up to the active boxes as needed.

The latest frames came with dedicated power regulators per bus board.
I can take pics (with a blackberry) of the two frames that have them.

On the fan noise of the external PSU, yes you can hear it. Is it loud? Hard to say without reference, the fan of my old digital mixer (Yamaha) AW4416 was louder. I mostly use the PSU without fan at home, and switch it on when on scene. You do not hear it anymore with the ambient noize on a venue.

One important thing to note: The daisy chains done by midi cables, are not compatible with the Makenoise midi power distribution modules.
n_m
Thanks for reporting on this, bj_gzp.
thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 1