MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice from my fellow Wigglers (SSM2030 Osc)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

Do i produce these
yes
51%
 51%  [ 21 ]
no
48%
 48%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Advice from my fellow Wigglers (SSM2030 Osc)
Malekko
He, i have about 200 2030's and i've been considering using 50 or so to do a small run of euro oscs with.
There are a bunch of oscs out right now so i wonder if there would be any interest in another. If i did it the price would be about 250.00 and this is what it would look like. The work is really already done...i have a schematic ready...it's just should i sink a bunch of money and time in a product or not.

wetterberg
I think 250 is too high for such a device, even though I do like the layout.

(okay, I've always like large Coarse knobs and small Fine knobs, but that's a matter of taste)

To be honest, aren't we close to saturation on oscillators and filters? bah, what do I know. seriously, i just don't get it headcrabs!
Malekko
wetterberg wrote:

(okay, I've always like large Coarse knobs and small Fine knobs, but that's a matter of taste)

To be honest, aren't we close to saturation on oscillators and filters? bah, what do I know. seriously, i just don't get it headcrabs!

I'm with you on having a lot of choices...but having a lot of options isnt necessarily a bad thing. And i would have to say 250 is a pretty darn good price. I'm not sure if there is an osc similar to this for that price...the A-111 is 350.00 and it doesnt have hard or soft sync...not to mention try to find a 3020 for under 50.00!
Robba
Price woud be too high for me at this moment (not meaning t say that its too high for this module). especially with all the great new oscillators that are around at the moment. If im going to spend a lot of money I would spend first it on the anti or the hertz.
timmah
not for me, i'm eyeing up the polivoks vco and the synthtech cloud generator.

Having lots of options is great, but we don't want to saturate the market with so many options that manufacturors begin to struggle.
berfmurret
i am osc'd out atm... seriously, i just don't get it

price seems good. layout seems awesome. you did say small run and if producing only 50 of these is enough to make it worth your while then maybe you should. even if just for the sake of being able to have a _complete_ malekko system?... (dumb reason)

i AM in need of more fancy pants envelopes though!
Norman_Phay
Very likely I'd buy one of these, maybe 2, It looks good! Apart from the chip graphic with "SSM2040" in it, that looks nasty. I would replace it with text "SSM VCO" in a nice typeface.
wetterberg
Malekko wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

I'm with you on having a lot of choices...but having a lot of options isnt necessarily a bad thing.
I am most certainly not saying that options are a bad thing.

But I AM saying that I would rather see you spend your time, energy and money on delivering UNIQUE devices rather than variations on theme.

Malekko wrote:
And i would have to say 250 is a pretty darn good price. I'm not sure if there is an osc similar to this for that price...the A-111 is 350.00 and it doesnt have hard or soft sync...
Then I'm happy for you, because that means that you're not as broke as I am... ! When I have to spend that kind of money I have to *justify* it somehow, and usually "uniqueness" brings things to the top of the list - look at people setting aside money for HzDs, CloudGens and such.

Malekko wrote:
not to mention try to find a 3020 for under 50.00!
I know, but that's more likely to be caused by all those broken Prophet 5s out there, no?

I can see this being a GREAT primary oscillator, though. The pro5 sound is awesome. .. but then I'd want to see more than 50 hit the market?
kidtesla
I'd say "go for it" thumbs up ...price point is fair,imo ...options in available modules are always a good thing.
Kent
So, guys. I have the following questions:

1) what is special about the 2030?

2) is there a definitive and/or representative 2030 'sound'?

If I knew this, I could contribute to the discussion as it would bring some clarity for me.
wetterberg
@Kent: it's in the Prophet 5.
makenoise
Use 2030 to keep the classics running.

Tony
DrOctave
makenoise wrote:

Tony

use the 2030 to start a new classic. and only do a limited run so it instantly becomes one.
Malekko
makenoise wrote:

Tony

yeah, theres that too...i would keep the majority of them for that...2030's rarely are the IC that goes out in these though

I certainly have a vested interest in having enough parts to keep the classics alive...as i have a Rev1 P5 AND the only double manual SSM P10 in existence!
mono-poly
The 2030 is a badass sounding osc $250 seems a fair price i probbaly would buy one or two.
It's been used in the P5 rev1 and rev2 and the EMU modular.
DrOctave
mmmmm emu modular is sexy. rare and sexy
dubchild
you I'd buy anything you made Lotsa Love
Malekko
dubchild wrote:
you I'd buy anything you made Lotsa Love

I have a sweet paper mache unicorn i made when i was 6...okay i made it last week
hihi hihi
Veqtor
I think you should focus on the anti-envelope right now, euro is flooded with osc's, there are too many, but not enough good and interesting envelopes!
REwire
Not for me, thank you. I never heard an SSM or CEM based 80's synth that sounded that good in one voice.
intellijel
what about using all 200 chips in 50 modules to make 4 voice VCO's?

I am really missing not having simple polyphony to make chords. (I know the MFB VCO2 is an option)
Malekko
intellijel wrote:
what about using all 200 chips in 50 modules to make 4 voice VCO's?

I am really missing not having simple polyphony to make chords. (I know the MFB VCO2 is an option)

ya know...that's not a bad idea, i could do 25 dual oscs.....
mono-poly
People really have no clue how good the 2030 sounds.
Most euro vcos even won't close.
Maleko i rather see single modules.

This vco with the 2040 is gonna be great!
breakscience
I vote a dual osc for $350!! thumbs up
wetterberg
breakscience wrote:
I vote a dual osc for $350!! thumbs up
see now THAT is interesting to me! :-D
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2