MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rene touch plate sensitivity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Rene touch plate sensitivity
sbmani
I was so worried about having the same issue with Pressure Points..even bought used and am still happy with how sensitive they are
Snail
I have a strange experience where Pressure Points will freeze up on a particular pad and just stay on that pad for a while, despite me pressing other pads. Usually it resolves after 10-20 seconds, but it's strange.

The Rene will also occasionally change menus randomly or not respond to my press to change menu.

Do you all think these are both power issues? The strange thing is they are both powered by a Make Noise power bus.
Aaronautical001
Try wiping the pads. One possibility is that your fingers have left a residue on the pads that is keeping the circuit closed .
whodunnit
Quote:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
I have a strange experience where Pressure Points will freeze up on a particular pad and just stay on that pad for a while, despite me pressing other pads. Usually it resolves after 10-20 seconds, but it's strange.

The Rene will also occasionally change menus randomly or not respond to my press to change menu.

Do you all think these are both power issues? The strange thing is they are both powered by a Make Noise power bus.

Yep, sounds like the grounding problem I had when I had a René. A quick fix was to hold one hand onto the rack/rail while the other hand played the touch plates. Instantly better.
If you use René/Pressure points, you really need a propper non-isolated from ground PSU.
whodunnit
waves_of_awesome wrote:
Just got the Rene and I'm having the grounding issue. Pretty sure it's my crappy power outlets.

I noticed that when I touch the bare/exposed rails of my case with one hand, the Rene responds perfectly. When I'm not touching the rail with one hand, it doesn't respond consistently.

Fixing my power isn't an option, I live in a rental. Is there any workaround for grounding my case any other way?

Yes, patch some part of your modular to a grounded piece of equipment I.e. Mixer, speaker, cat....
Snail
Hmm, I have to 6U cases. If I only use the one with the Rene and PP, I get no buzz. Once I patch into the other, I get a hum. So power is likely an issue.

But the two 6U racks are connected to two powered monitors, which have their own separate power cords...

hmmm.....

Wonder what I can do. Patch a random cable to my cat?
whodunnit
I'm not so versed on ground loop hum, but that sounds like the problem there
tcb
Snail wrote:

might even help hihi
Silascomberbache
tcb wrote:
Snail wrote:

might even help hihi

I guess that this is that dreaded moment, where I can no longer continue my modular interest without getting the damn cat...
ElCampesino
Maybe this is the wrong thread or sub forum, but has anyone ever tried to mod the Rene to be used with regular buttons? Mine works fine when used in my doepfer case, but gets all wonky when I use it in a custom case with a switching power supply and plugged in to non grounded wall plugs.

It's probably been thought about by somebody before, and there's probaby a good reason why it's not been done by anyone, but I figured I'd ask anyway. There's some skilled DIY people around on this forum (not me, I knew you'd ask). I bet there will be quite a few people that want to chip in or help out developing something like that. I know I would.
Sleipnir
ElCampesino wrote:
Maybe this is the wrong thread or sub forum, but has anyone ever tried to mod the Rene to be used with regular buttons? Mine works fine when used in my doepfer case, but gets all wonky when I use it in a custom case with a switching power supply and plugged in to non grounded wall plugs.
It's probably been thought about by somebody before, and there's probaby a good reason why it's not been done by anyone, but I figured I'd ask anyway. There's some skilled DIY people around on this forum (not me, I knew you'd ask). I bet there will be quite a few people that want to chip in or help out developing something like that. I know I would.

Rene docs clearly state that it will not function without a proper ground. If you can, get a grounded PS for your custom case.
That said, even in a grounded case, mine doesn't function without licking my fingers.

Earlier in this very thread I mention I'm "cirklonifying" my Rene using a donor "cherry switch" keyboard. cool
I'm not done yet, as I've been trying to figure out a way to make it reversable. It's easy to just solder keys on and call it a day, but I'm not sure anyone else is willing to go that far.
Current plan is a multi-pcb setup with contact pads on one side to connect to the existing "buttons" and a pcb to solder the cherry switches into the other. The whole thing could then be mounted... somehow (screws?).
Issue yet to be even thought about is what to do about the LEDs. (leave 'em alone? Add extender tubes?)
Alternative is to use some kind of standard surface-mount buttons, but then the feel wouldn't be there.
mmagin
Sleipnir wrote:
ElCampesino wrote:

Rene docs clearly state that it will not function without a proper ground. If you can, get a grounded PS for your custom case.
That said, even in a grounded case, mine doesn't function without licking my fingers.

Funny, I see no mention of ground in http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/ReneManual.pdf
Only a vague rant about how MeanWell power supplies are bad (but presumably everything else is okay?)

I've since sold the Rene i had -- I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't be bothered to run a new electricial circuit in the house for the one thing that gives me trouble with an untrounded outlet. As best I can guess, it just not designed using modern touch sensor technology. I never had trouble with the Korg Volcas or the KP3.
ElCampesino
Sleipnir wrote:
ElCampesino wrote:

Earlier in this very thread I mention I'm "cirklonifying" my Rene using a donor "cherry switch" keyboard. cool
I'm not done yet, as I've been trying to figure out a way to make it reversable. It's easy to just solder keys on and call it a day, but I'm not sure anyone else is willing to go that far.
Current plan is a multi-pcb setup with contact pads on one side to connect to the existing "buttons" and a pcb to solder the cherry switches into the other. The whole thing could then be mounted... somehow (screws?).
Issue yet to be even thought about is what to do about the LEDs. (leave 'em alone? Add extender tubes?)
Alternative is to use some kind of standard surface-mount buttons, but then the feel wouldn't be there.

Sounds interesting. Any pictures of your progress? I guess mounting another pcb on top of the current faceplate will give you issues getting it into your case properly. You could probably use plastic spacers to mount pcb to pcb.

I was thinking that maybe a replacement/alternative faceplate would be ideal. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the leds, and you could mount the original back on if you'd want that. However, I haven't really investigated if that is possible. And I lack the time and diy skills to take that on.
southberry
it sounds scary ! I never had problem with my Rene and my Doepfer PSU2
but i'm actually building a custom DIY 12u flight case and I plan to use a 4ms power solution ... hope it will works ...
confused
ElCampesino
southberry wrote:
it sounds scary ! I never had problem with my Rene and my Doepfer PSU2
but i'm actually building a custom DIY 12u flight case and I plan to use a 4ms power solution ... hope it will works ...
confused

Be afraid, be very afraid! twisted Flamey

Sorry, just joking. You might be lucky. Mine also works perfectly in my Doepfer cases, but big issues in my new portable case.
Sleipnir
mmagin wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:

Funny, I see no mention of ground in http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/ReneManual.pdf
Only a vague rant about how MeanWell power supplies are bad (but presumably everything else is okay?)

Well damn - I could swear it was in there (or maybe it was the PressurePoints manual). Big bold letters with "this module will not work without proper grounding" "must use MN approved power supplies", etc., etc..

ElCampesino wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:

Sounds interesting. Any pictures of your progress? I guess mounting another pcb on top of the current faceplate will give you issues getting it into your case properly. You could probably use plastic spacers to mount pcb to pcb.

I was thinking that maybe a replacement/alternative faceplate would be ideal. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the leds, and you could mount the original back on if you'd want that. However, I haven't really investigated if that is possible. And I lack the time and diy skills to take that on.

You know, I never even considered replacing the faceplate. hmmm.....
Assumed it's a multi-layer pcb - but haven't pulled it off to look. There are a lot of connections under there, and i haven't worked up the nerve to yank it all apart. Now I will cool
No pics because I pull everything apart after playing with it for a while so I can use Rene again. waah
Leverkusen
mmagin wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
ElCampesino wrote:

I've since sold the Rene i had -- I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't be bothered to run a new electricial circuit in the house for the one thing that gives me trouble with an untrounded outlet. As best I can guess, it just not designed using modern touch sensor technology. I never had trouble with the Korg Volcas or the KP3.

Yep, same here - it didn't even really work in the Shared System I bought it with. Pressure points was a little better. Other touch devices as the Archangel worked flawless though. seriously, i just don't get it
mmagin
Leverkusen wrote:
mmagin wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
ElCampesino wrote:

Yep, same here - it didn't even really work in the Shared System I bought it with. Pressure points was a little better. Other touch devices as the Archangel worked flawless though. seriously, i just don't get it

For me, it was in a Doepfer case. Worked without problem when I brought it to a properly grounded outlet on a new circuit in the kitchen, was annoyingly hard to use elsewhere in the house.
NorthBro
like a lot of you i have this problem with the lack of sensitivity of my rené.

but by reading this forum and found that none of my rooms are electric grounded eccept my kitchen, i've tried to touch the metal thing on my modular like the inputs/outputs of the modules with one hand and played with rené with a lot of difference!!!!! it changed it all. nanners

you should try: TOUCH THE IN/OUTPUT METAL PART OF A MODULE WITH ONE HAND & PLAY WITH RENE THE OTHER HAND.

problem solved. we're not worthy
whodunnit
Exactly what I said back in July. Touch the bare rack rail, fixed. Or connect the metal rail to AC earth.

Most power supplies have a floating ground, these kinds of touch plates require a ground reference, without which they have these haywire sensitivity issues. Even my Sputnik keyboard has the same issue with the same solution.
davidh
looks like this does not solved the problem on mine, I will check again
but the LS from soundmachine does have this issue, and the serge TKB neither
evileye0702
Quote:
you should try: TOUCH THE IN/OUTPUT METAL PART OF A MODULE WITH ONE HAND & PLAY WITH RENE THE OTHER HAND.

problem solved.

That might solve the problem for you but since I've only got 2 hands, I prefer to have another on free for other wiggling while playing the Rene.

Mine is so annoying I wanted to bring it to Tony when I was in Asheville last week. But time was short.

It's such a great sequencer but it's functionality gets a bit lost when I'm constantly licking my fingers to make it work the way I want.[/quote]
Varthdader
I had issues similar to those described in this thread, contacted MN support and got stellar service.

Since I am quite far away to ship my unit, performed a mod myself (resistor swap) and got Rene to work flawlessly in my rack (uZeus power).

Do not hesitate to contact support at Makenoise!
grimley
If only Rene was as responsive as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAOdSJduK0U
... I would be in heaven.
Bhola
It seems that my René is pretty unresponsive to my skin, or may be that's just my skin which is the problem...

I also have a Folktek Conduit with which I was not able to get most of the plain sound it can achieves so I had to think about different way of getting more conductivity. I won't lie, I have been liking my fingers a bunch of time but I really don't want to do that with my René... I also tried with a bit of water on my hands but I'm really not confortable while doing that with all my gears around me ! So here is a solution I found... It's pretty drastic and actually maybe too much for the Conduit, but it works perfectly for the René !! w00t

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 10 of 12