MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rene touch plate sensitivity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Rene touch plate sensitivity
kisielk
Yes, 9 is the sensitivity setting.
Daisuk
My Pressure Points is super sensitive, but Rene is goddamn annoying. Especially the menu-plates. I almost need to press them with the palm of my hands to make them react. Really annoying. I don't have particularly dry fingers/hands either.
L.C.O.
kisielk wrote:
Yes, 9 is the sensitivity setting.

t h e o r e t i c a l l y ... :-)
Madrayken
Hmm. So much for converting my rig to a touch-performance modular.
kisielk
It may work fine for you, I have zero problems with touch on either Rene or Pressure Points.
negativspace
Same here. Couldn't do without either module.
onthelees
Madrayken wrote:
New Rene is quite unresponsive, with outbreaks of over-responsive. I'm looking at the manual and can't see what the little knob marked '9' does! Any clues if that is sensitivity setting or something?

I have the sensitivity turned all the way up, and I still have the same problem. I really like Rene as a sequencer, but any sort of performance scenario is out due to complete un-predictabiltiy of response.
gonkulator
I haven't adjusted the sensitivity yet, hopefully that will make it easier to use. I dont suppose cleaning the contacts will help? Other than grease/grime, I assume there is no oxidation to deal with?
ersatzplanet
Madrayken wrote:
Hmm. So much for converting my rig to a touch-performance modular.

Just look at Synthwerks FSR-4, FSR-1T, FSR-1N, FSR-2P. All use Force Sensing Resistors and are not affected at all by skin moisture. In fact you can use gloves, put rubber pads on them to adjust the feel, and even play them with mallets (if you protect them with rubber pads). The Synthwerks FSR modules don't have the three rows of programmable CV outs like the PP does but do offer some other features.
yawn_g
i had problems with mine until i placed the 4 screws instead of just 2
nofuture
I would be interested to know which PSU you use, I have some problem too with my PP.
doobedy
That's what impresses me most about the Easel. It's a hell of a lot more responsive than my PP or Rene, and makes me sad they don't act the same way.
Daisuk
So there's no real explanation of what the right-most pot of the Rene does (it's just not mentioned in the manual, except given a reference number 9, which there is no description for). I tried adjusting it just now to see if it had anything to do with sensitivity, but it sure doesn't seem that way. seriously, i just don't get it
simonhold
Just chiming in because I seem to have the opposite problem. My PP pressure out is way too sensitive for my often slightly moist hands, even with the front and back trims adjusted to compensate for this. I guess capacitance resistance isn't for the very wet nor dry of hands.

I do use my PP a lot though, as 'preset' bank so I have yet to get rid of it as it serves a purpose.
mckenic
Sorry for OT and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Not related to this thread (but timely none the less!) my Rene was a bit grubby from dust and under use - I took her apart to clean the front panel and saw 'Expander' on the back... What gives?

Sorry again for OT!
thumbs up
yerpa58
It helps to install all four mounting screws, and ground the rack rails so that DC ground is the same as earth ground. This normally happens with aluminum faceplates unless they are anodized or coated to make them non-conductive.

I use a power supply with a three-prong AC plug. I've never used sliding rack nuts, maybe they don't ground the module faceplates as well as normal screws.
Micro Stuart
I've had mixed results feeling u my rene as well. Last night I tried turning down pot 9, and it started becoming more responsive. It may be true what Tony said (about his product), that turning up pot 9 to the max may not give the desired result. Play with the levels and see what works best for you!
Daisuk
I've had the screws on my Rene connected a bit loose, because I haven't had any washers for it (wouldn't want any rack rash in case I'm going to sell it down the line), but got some washers for it today, and fastened the screws tight - and there's definitely a difference in sensitivity. A lot better, in fact. smile
thermionicjunky
mckenic wrote:

Not related to this thread (but timely none the less!) my Rene was a bit grubby from dust and under use - I took her apart to clean the front panel and saw 'Expander' on the back... What gives?

Sorry again for OT!
:tu:

If some very old rumors are true, it's for another set of pots and outputs. Hopefully this will surface after the current wave of new modules.
mckenic
thermionicjunky wrote:
mckenic wrote:

Sorry again for OT!
thumbs up

If some very old rumors are true, it's for another set of pots and outputs. Hopefully this will surface after the current wave of new modules.

thumbs up
Ah thank you!

Interest piqued!!!
scottmoon
I think maybe another part of the problem is we all have different body chemistry and conductivity. I have a friend that can't use computer or iPad touch screens as they just don't respond to his touch. I watched him pushing harder and harder trying to get it to respond when pressure shouldn't matter. I have another friend that has to change his guitar strings after playing for a few hours, as they turn green with corrosion. Nobody will let him touch their guitars.
pxlsndworlock
srsonido
Well, as it regards the conductivity of the faceplate, I don't think Rene's faceplate is aluminum, it feels like circuit board material to me - probably fiberglass based. I don't think that the full faceplate is designed to be conductive with the exception of the touch pads themselves which appear to be created by etching like std circuit board traces.

However, on my Rene, it looks like the screw holes are plated through, and have a small ring of conductive area around the edge, top and bottom, which looks like it may be designed to make electrical contact with the screw heads. Following that theory, "properly" installed screws may press those conductive rings on the bottom side, more tightly against the mounting rails. If making contact between that small conductive ring and the mounting rails changes something in the circuit, then that may explain what Daisuk is observing. In that circumstance however, using nylon washers would probably insulate the screw heads from the conductive ring on the top and could reduce the effectiveness of the screws themselves to conduct. Similarly, tightening also would have no effect when the Rene is installed in a fully wooden enclosure like some of the wooden rail skiffs sold specifically for these modules. The function of that through hole plating is all conjecture based on my observation of the Rene's main faceplate board. It would be great if Tony, or someone else who knows exactly how the Rene's design is supposed to work, could chime in here and tell us exactly what needs to be grounded and to where. What is going on electrically?
maudibe
For sure I have just tried turning the adjust knob down and it works better smile

There IS a sweet spot. However, I still find I have to lick my finger... but the effect now lasts longer applause

I suppose a version with tactile switches would be out of the question ; tact switches are those really tiny ones you see in Mouser - intended to be used underneath a button really, but would be a major improvement here.

Perhaps some enterprising person could make a tact switch overlay?
maudibe
If there is a Rene' update on the horizon then my 2 wishes would be:

1/ switches as mentioned in previous post.

2/ legends in clear font and horizontally aligned.

Then I reckon it would be near as damn perfect.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 2 of 12