Rene touch plate sensitivity

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:03 pm

So since about a week I have a Rene, too and was immediately disappointed about how unresponsive the touchplates are to my skin. I have really dry skin. I was on the edge of returning it to the shop but I found out a nice lifehack that made my Rene super responsive, so I thought I'll share it here:
Instead of licking your fingers, pick your nose! Not joking: The nose is probably the bodypart with the greasiest skin. If you pick your nose with your fingers, you'll grease them which works way more reliable an sustaining than licking your fingers. I pick my nose once before I start playing my modular and I have no problems with touchplate responsiveness for hours.

zobbo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:18 am
Location: Chester, UK

Post by zobbo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:51 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:So since about a week I have a Rene, too and was immediately disappointed about how unresponsive the touchplates are to my skin. I have really dry skin. I was on the edge of returning it to the shop but I found out a nice lifehack that made my Rene super responsive, so I thought I'll share it here:
Instead of licking your fingers, pick your nose! Not joking: The nose is probably the bodypart with the greasiest skin. If you pick your nose with your fingers, you'll grease them which works way more reliable an sustaining than licking your fingers. I pick my nose once before I start playing my modular and I have no problems with touchplate responsiveness for hours.
This is an excellent idea and really makes your performance surface fully in tune with your body. Personally I tend to smear my Rene with my own faeces or if stuck for time will urinate over the appropriate pads to "become as one".

The only downside I've seen is reductions in my gear's resale value and dysentery.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:05 pm

zobbo wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:So since about a week I have a Rene, too and was immediately disappointed about how unresponsive the touchplates are to my skin. I have really dry skin. I was on the edge of returning it to the shop but I found out a nice lifehack that made my Rene super responsive, so I thought I'll share it here:
Instead of licking your fingers, pick your nose! Not joking: The nose is probably the bodypart with the greasiest skin. If you pick your nose with your fingers, you'll grease them which works way more reliable an sustaining than licking your fingers. I pick my nose once before I start playing my modular and I have no problems with touchplate responsiveness for hours.
This is an excellent idea and really makes your performance surface fully in tune with your body. Personally I tend to smear my Rene with my own faeces or if stuck for time will urinate over the appropriate pads to "become as one".

The only downside I've seen is reductions in my gear's resale value and dysentery.
I said touch yer nose not your butt :deadbanana:
Maybe I'm a little lost in translation since I'm not a native English speaker but I didn't mean you should stick your fingers up your nose. Just touch it. That's it.

zobbo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:18 am
Location: Chester, UK

Post by zobbo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:13 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
zobbo wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:So since about a week I have a Rene, too and was immediately disappointed about how unresponsive the touchplates are to my skin. I have really dry skin. I was on the edge of returning it to the shop but I found out a nice lifehack that made my Rene super responsive, so I thought I'll share it here:
Instead of licking your fingers, pick your nose! Not joking: The nose is probably the bodypart with the greasiest skin. If you pick your nose with your fingers, you'll grease them which works way more reliable an sustaining than licking your fingers. I pick my nose once before I start playing my modular and I have no problems with touchplate responsiveness for hours.
This is an excellent idea and really makes your performance surface fully in tune with your body. Personally I tend to smear my Rene with my own faeces or if stuck for time will urinate over the appropriate pads to "become as one".

The only downside I've seen is reductions in my gear's resale value and dysentery.
I said touch yer nose not your butt :deadbanana:
Maybe I'm a little lost in translation since I'm not a native English speaker but I didn't mean you should stick your fingers up your nose. Just touch it. That's it.
No offense meant ... just some light hearted New Year jests :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose-picking ... Nose Picking normally means removing the mucus/snot from your nose.

I use hand gel by the way for my Rene when required. Cleaner and makes your hands smell fresh and feel smooth!

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:18 pm

zobbo wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
zobbo wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:So since about a week I have a Rene, too and was immediately disappointed about how unresponsive the touchplates are to my skin. I have really dry skin. I was on the edge of returning it to the shop but I found out a nice lifehack that made my Rene super responsive, so I thought I'll share it here:
Instead of licking your fingers, pick your nose! Not joking: The nose is probably the bodypart with the greasiest skin. If you pick your nose with your fingers, you'll grease them which works way more reliable an sustaining than licking your fingers. I pick my nose once before I start playing my modular and I have no problems with touchplate responsiveness for hours.
This is an excellent idea and really makes your performance surface fully in tune with your body. Personally I tend to smear my Rene with my own faeces or if stuck for time will urinate over the appropriate pads to "become as one".

The only downside I've seen is reductions in my gear's resale value and dysentery.
I said touch yer nose not your butt :deadbanana:
Maybe I'm a little lost in translation since I'm not a native English speaker but I didn't mean you should stick your fingers up your nose. Just touch it. That's it.
No offense meant ... just some light hearted New Year jests :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose-picking ... Nose Picking normally means removing the mucus/snot from your nose.

I use hand gel by the way for my Rene when required. Cleaner and makes your hands smell fresh and feel smooth!
Damn :deadbanana: I guess I should have done my english lessons better before posting. So to clarify for all: don't put snot on your Rene! It's sufficient to touch the outside of your nose :hihi:

User avatar
ElCampesino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by ElCampesino » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:19 pm

^^^
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

User avatar
ElCampesino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by ElCampesino » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:10 pm

My guess is that any bodily secretion will do the trick. Some will stick to your fingers a bit better than others though.

:hihi:

HowMuchYaBench
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Post by HowMuchYaBench » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:11 pm

For anyone who's actually having problems with the the touch sensitivity of their MN modules, I'd definitely recommend hitting up their tech support and sending them back.

Fixed my René right up and now it's a different module, which I actually enjoy using instead of wondering if it's going to register my touches.

bamusser
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Post by bamusser » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 am

I've been having issues with a gossy faceplate version of PP. I've got a newer matte rev and an older one.
The glossy PP takes a tremendous amount of contact to engage, with the trimmer at various positions...with clean, dry, wet, dirty fingers.

The matte, perfect.

Stoked to read so much success on fixes here, gonna try cleaning, washer removal as my case [pghmod structure] shouldn't be the issue. (right?)
If all fails, I'll be reaching out to MN.

Thanks to all for good info sharing!

User avatar
ElCampesino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by ElCampesino » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 pm

We're cooking up an alternative front plate with buttons for Rene. Check this thread if you're interested:

viewtopic.php?p=2515388#2515388

User avatar
ElCampesino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by ElCampesino » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:23 pm

This morning I fired up a prototype panel with buttons on my René. It worked perfectly. Anyone who is interested, please find more information on my website: http://www.elcampesino.nl/rene-button-panel/

We hope to gather pledges from as many people as possible so we can make it worthwhile to do an order of PCB's. So if you know other people who might want one: spread the word!

zobbo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:18 am
Location: Chester, UK

Post by zobbo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:13 am

ElCampesino wrote:This morning I fired up a prototype panel with buttons on my René. It worked perfectly. Anyone who is interested, please find more information on my website: http://www.elcampesino.nl/rene-button-panel/

We hope to gather pledges from as many people as possible so we can make it worthwhile to do an order of PCB's. So if you know other people who might want one: spread the word!
Definitely interested - mailed you on the site. Replying here to bump the thread to other interested parties.

User avatar
khyber
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 am
Location: Far reaches
Contact:

Post by khyber » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Cool idea, I have always had issues with my Rene due to sensitivity. It would be nice to see a more innovative panel design, however. The text looks very small, an improvement over the legibility of the stock Rene, but much left to be desired in my opinion.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 am

Post by Hththt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:12 am

So i wanted to get a rene or PP but this isnt too good to read.

Does all this means my idea of a mini skiff with rene or PP running from a power bank (battery) is condemned to fail??? (Grounding)

User avatar
Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Post by Sleipnir » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am

Hththt wrote:Does all this means my idea of a mini skiff with rene or PP running from a power bank (battery) is condemned to fail??? (Grounding)
Rene and PP use different methods to sense touch.
PP will prob be fine.

User avatar
ElCampesino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by ElCampesino » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Hththt wrote:So i wanted to get a rene or PP but this isnt too good to read.

Does all this means my idea of a mini skiff with rene or PP running from a power bank (battery) is condemned to fail??? (Grounding)
Your mileage may vary. Some people have no problems whatsoever. But for those who do, we have made a panel for Rene with buttons. Still have a few available. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers, Rob

User avatar
khyber
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 am
Location: Far reaches
Contact:

Post by khyber » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:37 pm

For what it's worth, I contacted Make Noise a few months ago and they confirmed that my Rene was from an early batch that didn't have great touchpad sensitivity. I sent the unit it and they worked some magic, suddenly my Rene is super responsive and I couldn't be happier.

Only took me 4 years of ownership to finally be able to use it to a satisfactory degree! :omg:

tnktni
Common Wiggler
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 pm
Location: usa

Post by tnktni » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Interesting to hear, I wonder what they modded to change its responsiveness?

User avatar
worra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 am
Location: ATX

Post by worra » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
zobbo wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
zobbo wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:So since about a week I have a Rene, too and was immediately disappointed about how unresponsive the touchplates are to my skin. I have really dry skin. I was on the edge of returning it to the shop but I found out a nice lifehack that made my Rene super responsive, so I thought I'll share it here:
Instead of licking your fingers, pick your nose! Not joking: The nose is probably the bodypart with the greasiest skin. If you pick your nose with your fingers, you'll grease them which works way more reliable an sustaining than licking your fingers. I pick my nose once before I start playing my modular and I have no problems with touchplate responsiveness for hours.
This is an excellent idea and really makes your performance surface fully in tune with your body. Personally I tend to smear my Rene with my own faeces or if stuck for time will urinate over the appropriate pads to "become as one".

The only downside I've seen is reductions in my gear's resale value and dysentery.
I said touch yer nose not your butt :deadbanana:
Maybe I'm a little lost in translation since I'm not a native English speaker but I didn't mean you should stick your fingers up your nose. Just touch it. That's it.
No offense meant ... just some light hearted New Year jests :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose-picking ... Nose Picking normally means removing the mucus/snot from your nose.

I use hand gel by the way for my Rene when required. Cleaner and makes your hands smell fresh and feel smooth!
Damn :deadbanana: I guess I should have done my english lessons better before posting. So to clarify for all: don't put snot on your Rene! It's sufficient to touch the outside of your nose :hihi:




This is the best thing in this thread :lol:

dave999z
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:46 pm
Location: Washington, DC (USA)

Post by dave999z » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 pm

I have read through this thread and searched but haven’t seen... Has anyone found a power strip (with surge protector) that Rene seems to work well with?

I know for many the issue is their Euro power supply, but that’s not the problem I have. I think for me it’s my power strip, because it seems to work somewhat better when I bypass the strip and plug my power supply straight into the wall. That said, I don’t want to plug my Euro straight into the wall and trust thousands of dollars in modules to Dominion Power. So I’d like a power strip surge protector that has a good ground that plays well with Rene.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4137
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:02 pm

ElCampesino wrote:
Hththt wrote:So i wanted to get a rene or PP but this isnt too good to read.

Does all this means my idea of a mini skiff with rene or PP running from a power bank (battery) is condemned to fail??? (Grounding)
Your mileage may vary. Some people have no problems whatsoever. But for those who do, we have made a panel for Rene with buttons. Still have a few available. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers, Rob
even though we have a mkii on its way i know so many people who want to do this and ive tried contacting you guys but with no response....
is this still available??
look up!

User avatar
Oldstench
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2465
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:26 am
Location: 5th, no, 6th circle of Hell

Post by Oldstench » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:58 am

One thing I sometimes do if I get hit with the ol' non-responsive blues is to take a cable, plug it into an unused mult jack and touch the tip to the touchplate. Activates 100% of the time.
Humanity has doomed itself.

User avatar
ElCampesino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by ElCampesino » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 am

Dogma wrote:
ElCampesino wrote:
Hththt wrote:So i wanted to get a rene or PP but this isnt too good to read.

Does all this means my idea of a mini skiff with rene or PP running from a power bank (battery) is condemned to fail??? (Grounding)
Your mileage may vary. Some people have no problems whatsoever. But for those who do, we have made a panel for Rene with buttons. Still have a few available. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers, Rob
even though we have a mkii on its way i know so many people who want to do this and ive tried contacting you guys but with no response....
is this still available??
Hey James, sorry about being unreachable. Hadn't logged on to Muffs for a while. I've replied to your PM. Still a few available.

gliese
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 am
Location: Italy

Post by gliese » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Glad to know it wasn't just me..

boundsound
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:46 am

Post by boundsound » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:17 pm

tnktni wrote:Interesting to hear, I wonder what they modded to change its responsiveness?
In my case, i've sent my René to Schneider and Igor changed a few resistors. After the mod my rené responds way better, so it's worth a try if it's still the case. (I'm using a LC9 from Doepfer)

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”