MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rene touch plate sensitivity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 [all]
Author Rene touch plate sensitivity
Xtheunknown
I’m considering purchasing a used Rene version 1. I’m wondering if most of the units with touch plate issues have been fixed, or whether there is a big risk in the pool of those in circulation. I have a large Doepfer case and will have conditioned power, although I have very dry skin. Does anyone know if Make Noise still repairs units with faulty touch plates? Anyone still frustrated with touch plate issues that they haven’t been able to solve?

The alternative is a Voltage Block to complement my Mother 32 and Varigate 4+.
hlprmnky
Xtheunknown wrote:
I’m considering purchasing a used Rene version 1. I’m wondering if most of the units with touch plate issues have been fixed, or whether there is a big risk in the pool of those in circulation. I have a large Doepfer case and will have conditioned power, although I have very dry skin. Does anyone know if Make Noise still repairs units with faulty touch plates? Anyone still frustrated with touch plate issues that they haven’t been able to solve?

As someone who has had a VG4+/VB combo and now has a Rene2 instead, I would say that a key point of evaluation you can do right now is: try to do the sequencing you would want to do on the Rene with the VG4+. The sliders on the Voltage Block are going to give you essentially the same user experience in terms of ease of choosing a particular pitch, for example.
Xtheunknown
hlprmnky wrote:
Xtheunknown wrote:

As someone who has had a VG4+/VB combo and now has a Rene2 instead, I would say that a key point of evaluation you can do right now is: try to do the sequencing you would want to do on the Rene with the VG4+. The sliders on the Voltage Block are going to give you essentially the same user experience in terms of ease of choosing a particular pitch, for example.

Thanks so much for the response and for the advice! What led you to switch? What is your experience with the touch plate reliability?
nectarios
Rene mk1 user for 4-5 years here.
I really like it, its my most used sequencer overall, although about a year or two ago I kinda stopped using it because of the touch plate. Put it on sale along with Pressure Points.

Rene did not get sold, mainly because Rene mk2 came out and no one is touching the mk1 because of the touch plate issues and of course the added features of the mk2.

Luckily I found the alternative Rene mk1 panel and that saved the module for me. I started using it again and its my go to sequencer for main parts in tunes. So I am glad I didn't sell it. Not planning on getting the mk2 anyway.
hlprmnky
Xtheunknown wrote:
hlprmnky wrote:
Xtheunknown wrote:

Thanks so much for the response and for the advice! What led you to switch? What is your experience with the touch plate reliability?

I have had no complaints with the touch plates in the Rene, but I do have the mk2, not the mk1.

I really really liked the VG4+/VB combination in many ways, but what I didn’t like to the point where I went looking for a different sequencer was just the difficulty of hitting a desired quantized pitch with the sliders. It’s my experience that even in the VG4+’s “octave restrict” mode, moving the slider up or down to “the next note” is an exercise in overshooting, then overshooting back, then “why am I hearing a G# now, did it just ...not stop on F, F#, or G!?”.
It would be borderline acceptable if you wanted to always take the time to build and save your sequences “offline”, one note at a time, and then select among saved sequences while playing, but that’s only a small part of how I tend to want to work.
In fact, one of the very best things about the Malekko “school” of sequence design is the extremely deep control over randomization, both of gates and pitches. It’s really fun to either set a range of possible pitches for a step, or just set an entire sequence to random (quantized) pitches and then change it up a step at a time as you go, which makes it all the more painful when that change is a pain to dial in!
I don’t think this is anything Malekko did wrong, either - I have some experience with other modules (MI Stages, Xaoc Belgrad) with similar sliders and I just don’t think that a ~3cm slider throw with the precision to cleanly and reliably pick among 5 octaves of notes has been created by human industry.
With Rene, as with other sequencers like the Xaoc Moskwa or any of the pre-Eurorack sequencers in Rene’s design lineage, the precision afforded by a rotary control makes choosing a new note for a step much less of a hassle, even in a live context. Switching up access, gate, and snake modes goes a long way toward offering the same “flight envelope” as the Malekko school, but in a very different manner, and without any of the really powerful and fun probability control the Malekko modules offer.
Overall, I’m content with my decision, but if those darn sliders worked just a little better, I might never have been pushed to investigate other options at all. I hope you find the additional thoughts helpful.
Xtheunknown
Wow - thanks so much for the detailed explanation of your experience! It’s exceedingly helpful and a René is definitely in my future.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 [all]
Page 12 of 12