MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quicksilver 606
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Quicksilver 606
igormpc
i just bought a 606, really in love and on my 2nd week with it...
a new TR-606 CPU upgrade from Social Entropy is released!

and

what do you think?
(i really like the idea of ROLLS, MUTE (GLOBAL MUTING ALSO), INDIV ACCENTS, or CONTROLLING EXT MIDI GEAR WITH IT!)
moog55
i think the Social Entropy guys are doing great work. i'm definitely going to upgrade my 606.
ThinLazy
I'm a big 606 user too and am interested in this upgrade.
Its a little pricey at $275, so I'll have to figure out if the added stuff
are things I'm actually going to use.
shady smiles
ThinLazy wrote:
I'm a big 606 user too and am interested in this upgrade.
Its a little pricey at $275, so I'll have to figure out if the added stuff
are things I'm actually going to use.

I'm in the same boat. I *love* my 606 and I've got my eye on these guys. Hoping someone with personal experiences can chime in...
GrantB
Looks cool, wish it added swing for $275 though
acidbob
Hmm at first it seemed like a great idea, but as ThinLazy says, don't know if I am actually going to use the features..

And more important does it change the way the 606 plays.. I mean it has kind of a funny cool feel to it as it is, not 100% tight but just right hihi
Northbest
Guys, don't do this to me. I just bought a 606 and was going to get the QS-303 mod. I don't have this money!

As an aside, the guys doing the mods live near me and said I could just drop it off rather than ship it in and pick it up a couple of hours later, sounds like a seriously decent guy to work with. There shouldn't be any conflict between the QS mod and the Geoff Waterson mods, should there?
shady smiles
acidbob wrote:
Hmm at first it seemed like a great idea, but as ThinLazy says, don't know if I am actually going to use the features..

And more important does it change the way the 606 plays.. I mean it has kind of a funny cool feel to it as it is, not 100% tight but just right hihi

+1. After thinking about this on my ride into work I've talked myself out of it.

FWIW: if you want to eke more out of your 606, you might consider some of the other mods (e.g., individual outs, tone-shaping, etc.). Many are easy to do if you're a DIYer. Back in the day you could send your 606 off to be modded too but I'm not sure if that's still a booming business. (Maybe Analog Solutions in the UK?)
BugBrand
Very excited if it may be able to help resurrect a dead 606...
(though not cheap to test!)
I think these sort of upgrades (thinking KiwiTechnics) are pretty amazing &, given the amount of time that must be spent (also bearing in mind the typically limited setup that they have to play with - ie. limitations imposed by the very nature of the old instruments), they do seem reasonably priced.
CF3
Wow those are some pretty amazing upgrades. applause Great work.
Still kicking myself for selling my 606 I bought for $40!!! very frustrating dumbass d'oh!
authorless
Individual accents are pretty cool. I wonder how they work with overlapping open and closed high hats? 32 step patterns... meh! You can already chain four patterns in pattern mode. Mutes are kind of cool, but I would probably rarely use them. Roll... meh. Copy and paste are pretty cool. Rotate is pretty cool. Randomize... I can basically do that by unplugging and not having batteries in it for a little bit, hahaha. Reverse, i don't know how much use I would get out of that. Midi... meh.
emdot_ambient
hyper Love me my 606!

I like to use the 606's trigger outputs as the clock source for my JX-3P's sequencer. The roll function on this mod could add some interesting rhythmic elements to it .
Northbest
Ooooh, does the roll roll the CV out as well?
emdot_ambient
They don't have CV out, just audio and trigger.
Northbest
Right, I'm overly tired. I've got to admit, the QS-303 is massively compelling and I'll probably do it, but this just doesn't speak to me in the same way. It looks fun, but the QS-303 fixes the fact that a 303 isn't fun to program, and this adds some features but not necessarily enough to justify the price compared to the QS-303.

Still, I'm tempted. I need to do some other mods to my 606 first.
Limey
I could use the mutes and the rolls but it's a bit to pricey.
If it added shuffle/flam i'd get it without no further questions.
ripe909
Hey guys, this is John from Social Entropy.

I just wanted to respond to a couple of questions, etc.

* regarding swing/shuffle: The Quicksilver 606 uses the internal analog clock generator of the original CPU (basically DIN sync). This limits the amount of timing manipulation that can happen with the CPU. We like the "funny cool" feel of the original, and wanted to keep this feeling, rather than going with internal clock generation to add timing features. Although there are external boxes that can be used to manipulate the incoming DIN sync.

* pricing: Well, not that we can change anyone's mind about it... but this CPU project is much more than a simple MIDI input modification. We couldn't even find a MIDI kit that did what we wanted, so we decided to do it ourselves. It took about a year of development, and it really brings the 606 to another level, hopefully as people get to try it, they will love it!

The price does include free installation or free shipping worldwide, which brings the cost in line with most other simple MIDI mods when you look at the total cost.

* resurrecting a dead machine: Yes definitely! The only machine we haven't been able to bring back to life had a crack running all the way across the main PCB!

cheers
ripe
Northbest
Hi John! Any chance of a discount if I do both the QS-303 and QS-606 mods at the same time?
BHC303
I think the mod is sweet! defiantly having second thoughts about selling 606 now hmmm.....

Kinda turns a 606 into a machinedrum (no parameter locks though)

I would love a combo of this and the exfade mod (with midi controlled pots) just to squeeze a bit more sound diversity out of it...

ripe909 Would you do this to a exfade modded unit?

Parameter locks would be freaking awesome too if above could be done MY ASS IS BLEEDING
ripe909
Hi all,

I just wanted to give a sneak peek of something...

We went back and rewrote some of the clocking code for Quicksilver 606 and added SHUFFLE! This will work exactly as on a TR-909.

Video: Quicksilver 606 shuffle test

We still have a little work to do on it, but it should make it into the next version of the Quicksilver 606 OS!

cheers
ripe
GrantB
Ooh that swing is calling my name. You got me seriously considering hacking up my baby.
Northbest
Hey, ripe909, does this interact negatively with any other other mods that a 606 might have? I'm really interested in the features this adds, but I'm looking at doing some of the Waterson mods on it and those take priority to me. smile
Limey
ripe909 wrote:

We went back and rewrote some of the clocking code for Quicksilver 606 and added SHUFFLE! This will work exactly as on a TR-909.

Video: Quicksilver 606 shuffle test
cheers
ripe

Marvelous SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
where do i sign?
meatcliff
bump on the 303 CPU thread reminded me...

anyone have this? i'm about to get around to fixing my 3rd 606 and figure i should mod it (unit #1 very beat up but sentimental value, #2 is mint, #3 for modding)...

I was in the mood for a x0x style midi sequencer and was about to build a standalone version of the midibox mb808 sequencer when I got a new shell for my naked 3rd 606 on ebay, was reminded of the quicksilver CPU by a friend and with the midi out + other sequencing features it's a lot more desirable, so I'm thinking of going in that direction. I had already wanted to integrate a trigger to midi converter into the 606 so the quicksilver is a step in that direction already. the fill/roll, easy 32 step patterns, and accent per track are other things I liked.

so anyway I'm wondering who's got this and how you like it!
Paranormal Patroler
ripe909 wrote:
The price does include free installation or free shipping worldwide, which brings the cost in line with most other simple MIDI mods when you look at the total cost.

Is this still valid? I'm really curious about this modification as I just got a 606.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2