MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sequential/Voltage-Controlled Swith in Serge-land?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Sequential/Voltage-Controlled Swith in Serge-land?
Madcap Labs
Hi, all - I was trying to put together a sequence on my rig (Animal, Quad Slope/Gator, TKB) *without* the TKB, and was really missing my beloved sequential and voltage-controlled switches. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make a patch with that functionality on my gear, or even, AFIK, via available Serge modules. I'm probably not the only one to encounter this "problem" - any Sergin' General out there with a solution? Eschewing the obvious "just use your A150/151, doofus" :-)

Peace and love,

Ed
Pockets McCoy
Well, switches are one of the things I've noticed a lack of, and I plan on DIY-ing a few utility panels with just such thing included as a result. If you want, I can come up with something specific, functional, efficient, and delicious with what you've got and post it tonight or tomorrow, but for the time being and because exploration and experimentation are fun, I'll just make a few open-ended suggestions until I get a chance to sit down and really work on it. Here's what comes to mind:

-Forget about switches. I can't think of any clever or efficient ways to create a switch with what you've got available (or any number of Serge function blocks, for that matter), but patch-programming a "crude" sequencer shouldn't be too daunting a task. For example:

-You've got Slopes for days and an SSG. The Doepfer A-151 manual suggests switching through 4 envelopes for sequencing. Instead of switching between 4 envelopes, get 2 Slopes cycling or triggered by your clock, whichever suits your fancy, and send one to the Stepped section of the SSG, with your clock patched to the Sample input. Set the rate somewhere in the lower end of the spectrum, and send the second Slope LFO to the VC Rate input. This may be sequencer enough, but now you've also got a bunch of CV's being generated, just begging to be used to inter-modulate each other in all sorts of naughty ways, and/or control whatever other parameters need controlling in the patch.

-Alternatively, patch the SSG's stepped section's Cycle jack to its Input and send your clock to the Sample input to get it generating a staircase with the rate knob set in the lower range, and VC the Rate with whatever CV you please. It might be fun to send the Coupler output to the Smooth section, set its rate low as well, and send the Stepped and Smooth outputs to each other's VC Rate inputs.

-Think about the essentially limitless possibilities of these (and all the rest of your) function blocks, and run with whatever you come up with. And have fun! screaming goo yo Dead Banana w00t
confusional
Redacted.
Madcap Labs
Hey, Pockets - *great* suggestions - I'm outta town, but I've copied your reply in my modular notes, and will try that stuff out when i return to the studio. Before I left, however, (and before I saw your reply) I realized there *is* a VC switch in the Serge arsenal - the VC Crossfade feature of the Active Processor. I don't have one, and don't have one on my short-term wishlist, but I figured out another way to create a sequence without the TKB - I wired up a DSG for a square wave, put it into the Pulse Divider of the Gator, and ran three outputs - 2, 5, and 7 - into the NTO (the two routed to 1v/Oct went into the scaling buffers first) which yielded a very cool sequence that took quite a while to repeat. It takes a little bit of tweaking to make the results even-tempered, but it's possible - if I did 2, 4 and 8, it'd be kinda like a Blacet Binary Zone. With a DC-coupled mixer, I could control the master pitch of the sequence with the TKB, but I'm quite happy just getting things to chug away right now, and I still have most of my slopes free to play around with the ideas you suggested!

Peace and love,

Ed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1