MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

First modular performance – karimba + 9U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author First modular performance – karimba + 9U
shortsleeves
Hi guys,

I wanted to share the experience of my first modular performance.

Two days ago I was a part of the line up for the Noise Waste 14 concert in Eufemia club in Warsaw, Poland (my hometown). There were five sets, mine was the second one. I had a very nice patch prepared for that gig, but after purchasing a karimba two weeks ago, I decided to include it in my set up, and it ended with karimba being dominant, and the modular sort of in the background (with a completely new patch). 8_) The patch was prepared earlier, but everything else (including knob twisting) was improvised.

The experience was great, the crowd (well, not too crowdy, but it was a small place, so it didn't feel empty) response also very positive (even the sound guy thanked me for the set – hopefully not for finally finishing). hihi

Now I know what I'll do differently the next time – like e.g. check the contact mike's placement on the karimba after I drop it on the floor at the end of the rehersal, so the higher pitched notes are at least audible (unfortunately not so in the recording…).

I'm glad I recorded the whole thing, as it makes this much needed learning experience fuller. It sounded much better and interesing to my ears when I was playing hmmm.....

Here's the sound (as heard by my audio interface – video with less than perfect audio from the room, via built in microphone, at the end of this post):

[s]http://soundcloud.com/shortsleeves/noise-waste-14-04-04-2013[/s]

Here's my set up (plus a karimba and EHX Deluxe Memory Boy):

And here's me (if anyone's interested in my focused facial expression): 8_)

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Cheers,
Lukasz
strettara
Not to get all philosophical about it, but it's fascinating what people get up to in performance. I think a combination of acoustic instrument/s and modular is hard to beat in terms of the performer's experience, because you're really banging two haptic worlds together at the hip and seeing what comes out. Great work.
shortsleeves
strettara – thanks, mate! Adding something acoustic, especially an instrument I had been using for only two weeks, made everything more difficult, and adventurous at the same time. SlayerBadger!
huron
Aye Karimba!

This is really great! we're not worthy
shortsleeves
huron wrote:
Aye Karimba!

This is really great! we're not worthy

Thanks, mate – I appreciate it.
authorless
Oh man! Oh man! Oh man! I want heat what that kalimba sounds like controlling the PLL. Sorry if you do this in the set and I haven't gotten that far into it yet. Sounds really good so far.
shortsleeves
authorless wrote:
Oh man! Oh man! Oh man! I want heat what that kalimba sounds like controlling the PLL. Sorry if you do this in the set and I haven't gotten that far into it yet. Sounds really good so far.

I haven't tried it with the PLL yet, though I'm sure it would sound very nice, as the signal from the karimba is very unstable, so it would be quite a challenge for the PLL to keep up with, and I'm sure some pretty crazy stuff could happen hyper Will definitely try soon!

My first plan was to play the karimba, and trigger a sequencer (XAOC Moskwa) through the A-119, but I still haven't found a proper setting of the A-119 sensitivity for it to work, as the karimba has quite a long decay, and notes overlap.

Thanks for the kind words!
daniu
very cool! always love to hear the exploration of acoustic and modular
endai
hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1