MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ambient buchla noises
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author ambient buchla noises
divisionbyzero
off to space:

http://soundcloud.com/divisionbyzero
Reality Checkpoint
The track "Alone" is wonderful. 8_)
Roycie Roller
excellent stuff, thankyou for sharing This is fun!
felix
great stuff! I particularly liked "intercourse".
authorless
all quite awesome. primal is really cool, i dig the variation in it. any info on modules used, et cetera? looking forward to hearing more.
prscrptn
beautiful...

Rasta-nana Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!

please enlighten us with your set-up, patching, and process.
divisionbyzero
thanks everyone for the kind words.

the only non-buchla equipment on those recordings is a synthi a (on "intercourse"), one of cbm's pendulum modules, and a roland re-20 pedal.

my "go to" modules are the 222e, 259, 259e, and 297. i know the 259 and 259e have their fans already but the 297 is super slept on. it can create insane feedback with the resonance turned up and it can also add really subtle harmonics to anything run through it. i also just use it as an oscillator sometimes (again with the resonance cranked). using the barbershop mode with a really slow speed is nice for long droney sounds. and it's of course the coolest looking module with the lights off and the pole running. i guess the 222e is still sort of mysterious because of the relatively low number that have shipped out. i use the 222e in everything i do; it's the equivalent of a keyboard and mouse for my system. it took a while before i realized that turning knobs wasn't nearly as fun or intuitive as sliding my fingers around on a membrane or waving them around in the air. these are flowing out of b+a now so hopefully more people can have their own epiphanies about it.
science
Strange... I thought I had posted in here, but I guess not.

I really like Primal as well. Sounds great.
Lyonel
Controlling and jamming with a 222e must be terrific ; Very nice, divisionbyzero !
HexEnduction
Great tracks. I'm really fond of Primal as well.
Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
bar|none
Really great tracks. "Alone" is my favorite.
Roycie Roller
divisionbyzero wrote:
thanks everyone for the kind words.

the only non-buchla equipment on those recordings is a synthi a (on "intercourse"), one of cbm's pendulum modules, and a roland re-20 pedal.

my "go to" modules are the 222e, 259, 259e, and 297. i know the 259 and 259e have their fans already but the 297 is super slept on. it can create insane feedback with the resonance turned up and it can also add really subtle harmonics to anything run through it. i also just use it as an oscillator sometimes (again with the resonance cranked). using the barbershop mode with a really slow speed is nice for long droney sounds. and it's of course the coolest looking module with the lights off and the pole running. i guess the 222e is still sort of mysterious because of the relatively low number that have shipped out. i use the 222e in everything i do; it's the equivalent of a keyboard and mouse for my system. it took a while before i realized that turning knobs wasn't nearly as fun or intuitive as sliding my fingers around on a membrane or waving them around in the air. these are flowing out of b+a now so hopefully more people can have their own epiphanies about it.

I'm thinking of starting a small Buchla 200e system next year.
How complex would just a 259e & 222e be? Do you think it would be a good start?
Hopefully by then, Mark Verbos' delay module will be available, & i'd get that as the 3rd module.
cbm
Roycie Roller wrote:
Hopefully by then, Mark Verbos' delay module will be available, & i'd get that as the 3rd module.

I think that at the very least you would probably want to add a 292e low pass gate.

In general, I think that a bare minimum system is a complex waveform generator (259e or 261e), a 292e Dynamics manager, and a 281e function generator. In your system, the 222e input port will have to stand in for the function generator, but I would pick up a 281e asap.

I don't think that you really hit critical mass until you add two or three more modules (e.g. 266e SOU, maybe 291e filter, preset manager either in 225e MIDI interface or the 206e mixer.)
Roycie Roller
cbm wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:

I think that at the very least you would probably want to add a 292e low pass gate.

In general, I think that a bare minimum system is a complex waveform generator (259e or 261e), a 292e Dynamics manager, and a 281e function generator. In your system, the 222e input port will have to stand in for the function generator, but I would pick up a 281e asap.

I don't think that you really hit critical mass until you add two or three more modules (e.g. 266e SOU, maybe 291e filter, preset manager either in 225e MIDI interface or the 206e mixer.)

Thanks for the advice Chris!
I have built one of Thomas White's 292c clones, & i'm not a huge fan of the LPG sound- at the moment i think the 292e is something i'd leave until much later.
I'd need to study the modules again, but i'd be more inclined to add the 285e, SOU, 291e, 281e & keep building the instrument from there, although it would be slowly.
I was thinking i'd start out with the 259e/222e, and layer tracks..fun, but it's still a long way from an instrment.

Does the preset manager store settings of the 222e, or can the 222e store it's own settings? If the former is the case, then a 206e would be essential for me, as i'd like to explore many different tunings.
cbm
Roycie Roller wrote:
I have built one of Thomas White's 292c clones, & i'm not a huge fan of the LPG sound- at the moment i think the 292e is something i'd leave until much later.

But without something to control amplitude, you'd just have a sustaining drone out of the waveform generator.

Quote:
Does the preset manager store settings of the 222e, or can the 222e store it's own settings? If the former is the case, then a 206e would be essential for me, as i'd like to explore many different tunings.

Without a preset manager, the most modules can just store one preset.
science
Personally I think anyone looking to get into Buchla would be better off waiting until they have enough for a decent setup. In your case, you might want to consider replacing the 222e, which isn't cheap, with a couple more modules instead... and add the 222e later.

For the price of the 259e and 222e, you could have a 259e, 250e, and 292e... with a little money to spare.
Roycie Roller
cbm wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:

But without something to control amplitude, you'd just have a sustaining drone out of the waveform generator.

Yesterday, i spent time with my 292c using it on anything other than clocks, & was reminded how it can dramatically shape all kinds of sounds.
In light of that, i'll reconsider it's importance. I'll spend more time learning how my 292c works, & then i'll have a clearer picture of its uses.

cbm wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:

Without a preset manager, the most modules can just store one preset.

Thanks. in that case, a 206e will be integral.

science wrote:
Personally I think anyone looking to get into Buchla would be better off waiting until they have enough for a decent setup. In your case, you might want to consider replacing the 222e, which isn't cheap, with a couple more modules instead... and add the 222e later.

I can see where you're coming from, but for me, the 222e is one of the strongest drawcards of the Buchla. I imagine that it opens up the system exponentially. Whether it can do the same for 2 or 3 modules, i'm not sure, but i'd like to think it could.
Also, i'm fairly sure it can be used with other non-Buchla modules because it can be programmed to output varied voltages. If this is possible, then i'd also use it to control my DIY modules too.
mono-poly
Thx i really enjoyed these ones.
KNYST
Highly enjoyable!
'primal' is the yummiest thumbs up
divisionbyzero
in an attempt to justify spending the money on the pro account at soundcloud i put some more old recordings up at the same url. i think i've pretty much mined out my old recordings so i'm off to make some new ones.

quick question to the soundcloud users out there: wav or mp3? i chose soundcloud because i could upload wav files but they don't make it easy for people to download mp3 versions of tracks and i'd probably think twice before downloading a 100Mb song.
Lyonel
You should Upload Wave files.
They create an MP3 version for WEB listening,
so if you upload an MP3, they will create an MP3 from your MP3... sad
Downloading files is incredibly fast on Soundcloud.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1