MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What was your first synth?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Author What was your first synth?
Northbest
What the topic says. I'm curious what people got as their first synth? And did you keep it or get rid of it?

I got a Korg Wavestation WS-1 keyboard at a pawn shop a few years back, and it was my introduction to hardware synths. Though I never got around to actually getting deep into the WS-1 because ahahah it's bad if you've got a newer computer. I've flirted with trading it a few times, the WS-1 isn't that valuable, but I doubt I'd find a decent keyboard for anywhere near as cheap as I got the WS-1.

Plus, I'm kind of attached to it! smile
stepwriterun
My first was a Wavestation EX (1992). In retrospect that was big mistake since it was too complex for me to get at the time, though I didn't want a M1 or a Roland JV, which were also available. I should have just bought a sampler ( like an ASR-10) instead.
wednesday
When I was 13 I bought an MS2000 that had been sitting out on the floor of a Guitar Center for probably way too long. Walked in and picked the knobbiest thing I could find. The wooden sides and the angled front panel... love taught me a lot about synthesis.

Still have it and probably won't ever sell it, cause I won't get much and it has a lot of sentimental value. I don't use it too often though...geen meaning to get it repaired for forever, it has a really finicky power supply that has to be positioned jusssst right or it turns off. It's happened many times, especially in the middle of making a patch cry
whitewulfe
Eerily enough, the first synth I actually owned was my modular >.>;;;
JILT
My first synth was a Moog Voyager fire select mahogany sweet water exclusive that I got when I worked at Guitar Center back in 2008. I went from having Orange amps and at one point 4 ESP Kamikazes (one custom with Cyndi Crawford on the front) to selling them all after buying that Moog. I no longer have that keyboard because I traded it for a mint Hartmann Neuron. I did end up missing my first board and sold the Neuron and got a Moog Voyager XL and had an extra $1300 which I spent of Moogerfoogers. I get GAS real bad sometimes btw. Guinness ftw!
thesnow
casio sk-1 when I was little if that counts as a synth
Popski
I had a loaner Mono/Poly when I was young and it hooked me. First synth I bought was a Korg Poly61. I actually kept it until about 3 years ago.

Shortly after I bought the Poly61 I found a cheap Mono/Poly of my own, which I still own and use, a lot.
Northbest
I'm only recently starting to fall in love with the Mono/Poly, but I'm a while away from too much new gear. :(
Samuron
This one:

acidbob
My first synth was actually two synths.
2x matrix 1000 in the same deal, still part of my setup today
widdly
Korg poly800

It was rad!! At least that was what I thought at the time
Stereotactixxx
Evolution EVS-1.
Bought it used in -92 I think.

It was multitimbral, included drum sounds and was fairly cheap.
Too bad it had to be edited using an Atari editor, as I didn't own an Atari.
It was also quite thin and cheesy sounding, so it wasn't long before I moved on to other synths.
Today it's dead, as are so many other of it's kind.
consumed
hardly a synth, although i thought it so back then -- roland u20
my first synth was a juno 106
andrewF
Roland SH-3a
$60 from the junk markets
Sold it for enough to fund a trip to India for 6 months MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Roland JX-3P it was OK but the Alpha that came later was better.
haesslich
a kawai k1m, in 1996 or so.
for 150 DM. i still have it, locked away in some cupboard in my parent's house.

then a poly800, a microwave 2 and a juno6. then modular. the rest is history.
senecio
Moog Micromoog, got it around '98 I think, still have it. It's in better shape now than when I got it. Great synth.
a100user
This was my very first synth, given to me by a friends day who did house clearances. Made by Hammond. I was 12years old.

[/img]
Enda Grennan
My first synth was probably a soft synth but in hardware terms - Nord Modular G2.

Sold it eventually on ebay as I moved away from virtual analog.
Haddock
consumed wrote:

Cheers ! Guinness ftw! My first "electronic gear" (hardly a synth indeed) was the U-220 expander (a rack version U-20) I bought from a friend. smile
sonicwarrior
Korg MS-10 I got as a present from friends of my parent when I was around 12. Didn't make much use of it at that time though. oops
studio1dk
My first synth was a Korg MS-20 - think it was the last Korg had in stock in Denmark in 1985. Sold it to buy a Doepfer A-100. And sold the Doepfer to buy a synthesizers.com.....

Keld
widdly
Haddock wrote:
consumed wrote:

Cheers ! Guinness ftw! My first "electronic gear" (hardly a synth indeed) was the U-220 expander (a rack version U-20) I bought from a friend. smile

I have one of those somewhere. Truly awful.
Christopher Winkels
My first was a Korg DW-6000.

I saved up my birthday money and bought one in 1988 for $200 from a friend in high school. It was a funny thing; even though all 64 memory locations were in RAM (not a combination or RAM and ROM like most were back then) Korg decided to silkscreen all the patch names on the front panel in the assumption that most probably wouldn't be overwritten.

I'm not one of those people who likes most factory presets though. I have vivid memories of using a Uniball Onyx Micro (the thinnest pen nib I could find), writing on the sticky part of 3M Post-It notes and then cutting them up into tiny rectangles and placing those over the patches I'd modified and saved.

Continuing with the overall theme of the thread though: my second synth was a Wavestation.
stk
Casio SK-1. Set me up for the rest of my creative life.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next [all]
Page 1 of 24