plumbutter patch sharing thread :D

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, infradead, bartlebooth

Jaktmark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jaktmark » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:35 am

So I've just received my Plumbutter 2, haven't hade any time to sit with it yet so before I dive head first I though I should get some advice here!
Is there something I should be wary about before starting patching? Are there any big no-no's i.e. can you fry something if you accidentally patch it "wrong"? :hmm:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:53 pm

welcome, just avoid yellow connected to brown & all will go swimmingly well :tu:

Jaktmark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jaktmark » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Thank you very much! I'm very much looking forward to learn the ins and outs of this intriguing instrument!

But that's great, I will have that in mind :)
I was a bit unsure because of the "Blue bananas are strict control inputs", thought maybe you could only plug the orange cv outs to those jacks. Decided it was best to ask before getting any strange ideas hehe.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

p.s. do you still have the flower electronics i sold you? a year later i had to track down another set (little did i know they would stop making them). the flowers & ciat play nice :tu:

Jaktmark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jaktmark » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:26 pm

I still have both them! I think I've used them in almost all my recordings since I bought them from you, needless to say I love them!

Will definitely try them together with the Plumbutter when I feel comfortable enough with it

horaflora
Wiggling with Experience

Post by horaflora » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:09 pm

I have, at least for a little while, 2 plumbutters - v1 and v2... Aside from all the doubled (quadrupled!) sounds available, does anybody here have any doubleplumbutter patching tips, tricks, or suggestions? Very happy to try things out you may be curious about!

I had thought there would be some real compounded action available, but so far am finding that double voices might just be that - doubled polyphony - not necessarily more than the sum of their parts, as I had somewhat expected going in..

.. Don't get me wrong, it's great fun, and certainly nice to patch up 4 gongs in different tonal regions, but I keep thinking that there should be something extra cool to be done with the MWRS in particular, maybe with a matrix mixer, which is available as well... Well, I mean, when I add that to the equation, there's too many possibilities, but should mention it could be involved..

Cheers!

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:46 am

I patch the two MWRS together so the sequencing becomes much slower, also using one of the deer horns to trigger two gongs with gesture whilst the other two gongs are triggered from rollz or MWRS. The two extra ultrasounds is nice as two can be connected to sound from the rollz & two used for filtering other sounds. A four way av dog drone is really nice, you can get lots of action from unplugging & plugging in the inverso''s to the orange as you progress.

I find having two, everything is slowed down which for me is brilliant. It's worth holding onto both for a while seeing if they work for you.

horaflora
Wiggling with Experience

Post by horaflora » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I had read Peter's suggestion of using the man with red steam to slow everything down, but I haven't tried it yet, certainly will tonight!
I had gotten a little obsessed with the idea of using the shift registers with the matrix mixer to get a rungler like dynamics/randomness going, but my results have been less than stellar…
… I suppose if I give that up for a little while I can slow things down and see how that suits me!

This reminds me, I recently tried getting the special wave (gray banana) from each gone to trigger the other gongs, which had worked in one plum better, but when I extend it between the four of them, it seems that they get caught up and don't Trigger all the way around in an infinity handshake… A nice way to slow things down on one plum better though, just to set the delay times for the gongs real long and get their special outputs to trigger the man who read steam…

filmersam
asleep at lightspeed

Post by filmersam » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 am

patch a yellow out from triggered ultrasound to snare drum verso or inverso for metallic 'TINK'!

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:10 pm

filmersam wrote:patch a yellow out from triggered ultrasound to snare drum verso or inverso for metallic 'TINK'!
I tried this the other day. Thanks for the tip!

dlozanothornton
Common Wiggler

Post by dlozanothornton » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:49 pm

filmersam wrote:patch a yellow out from triggered ultrasound to snare drum verso or inverso for metallic 'TINK'!
I love this, i sometimes use both outs for verso and inverso
also yellow to mixer in has interesting results, and stacked both to either gong or both! is really cool.
Ive never dared the triple output stacked to one input though, not sure if thats safe..

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:45 am

I've done three orange and at least one roll to the FM ins of a gong before

both yellow outs into the other ultra's FM ins is a fun little chaotic whirlpool machine
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

dlozanothornton
Common Wiggler

Post by dlozanothornton » Wed May 04, 2016 8:37 am

wednesdayayay wrote:I've done three orange and at least one roll to the FM ins of a gong before

both yellow outs into the other ultra's FM ins is a fun little chaotic whirlpool machine
the triple stack has revitalized my patching, no issues whatsoever with stacking yellows and oranges together even into FM inputs, avoiding browns of course!
reds, grey from snare and other browns all seem to work together really well.

Also on pb2, brown to either (but not both) mixer CV in allow you to mute one side of each module

myecholalia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by myecholalia » Sun May 08, 2016 11:49 pm

as i just got a plumbutter2 recently, this thread has been a great way to get started.
for all other plumbutter2 owners, i've adapted the patch sheet to the slightly revised pb2 layout.
you can find the patch sheet in the attached zip file. it contains the sheet in pdf, jpg, and eps formats.
full credits to kozepts for the original ai file!
let me know if i messed up :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crystalsound8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crystalsound8 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi everyone

This is my first post on MW! I recently got a plumbutter2 because I love the sound I heard from the demos I watched. However, this is my introduction into patching gear so I'm a bit lost.

I followed the patches mentioned on this thread but I'm getting zero sound out of the plumbutter. feel like I'm overlooking something really silly but I have no idea.

Power supply is good and I have the audio cable plugged into the output that's on the opposite side of the 3 aux inputs.

Please help me out.

Thank you!

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm

crystalsound8 wrote:Hi everyone

This is my first post on MW! I recently got a plumbutter2 because I love the sound I heard from the demos I watched. However, this is my introduction into patching gear so I'm a bit lost.

I followed the patches mentioned on this thread but I'm getting zero sound out of the plumbutter. feel like I'm overlooking something really silly but I have no idea.

Power supply is good and I have the audio cable plugged into the output that's on the opposite side of the 3 aux inputs.

Please help me out.

Thank you!
The mixer is on the left, five knobs, turn left is off right is on. The output is stereo so make sure you have a stereo cable.
The deerhorn needs no patching, start here. Slowly move your hand around the green area, tune with the three knobs.
On each sound source there is a three way toggle switch, make sure none are in middle position.
Report back.

crystalsound8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crystalsound8 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 pm

knows wrote:
crystalsound8 wrote:Hi everyone

Please help me out.

Thank you!
The mixer is on the left, five knobs, turn left is off right is on. The output is stereo so make sure you have a stereo cable.
The deerhorn needs no patching, start here. Slowly move your hand around the green area, tune with the three knobs.
On each sound source there is a three way toggle switch, make sure none are in middle position.
Report back.
Thanks for the response. Reporting back... no sound! I'm using the 3.5mm jack in the middle of the unit next to the power supply for the stereo output. Mixer knobs are turned fully clockwise and no switches are in the middle position.

This is the stereo cable I'm using http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159

This is the power supply I'm using http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... _117479_-1

These are the banana cables I'm using http://www.testpath.com/Categories/Stan ... ePage=1_50

crystalsound8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crystalsound8 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:51 pm

I figured it out... I was using inputs 7 & 8 on my RME but I had them set to the front jacks in the RME preferences but had the cables plugged into the rear of the unit. After adjusting the preferences... I have sound! I knew it was something silly.

Geez, what a way to introduce myself to the forum :zombie:

Playing with deerhorn for 5 secs through a timeline and bigsky and I'm already excited!

Can't wait to contribute to this thread...

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:23 am

crystalsound8 wrote:I figured it out... I was using inputs 7 & 8 on my RME but I had them set to the front jacks in the RME preferences but had the cables plugged into the rear of the unit. After adjusting the preferences... I have sound! I knew it was something silly.
Shit happens, I think all of us had situations like that... :party:

crystalsound8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crystalsound8 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:08 pm

Yea I guess we do. Thanks for the help guys!

I'm gonna try these patches now to learn the PB2 signal flow.

ghrobbing_tristle
Common Wiggler

Post by ghrobbing_tristle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Hey, gang! I created a more low-contrast patch sheet for the Plumbutter 2 recently, with added sections to mark switch positions and blank knobs -- sharing here in case it's helpful to anyone!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

horaflora
Wiggling with Experience

Post by horaflora » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:10 pm

nice, thanks!!!

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:06 pm

alternative snare:

- trigger snare by something (say rolz)
- take grey output into a blue input(verso or inverso). gong works well. snare decay knob to change the tone of 'alto snare.'

now,
trigger snare and an avDog. take an orange out into ultrasound. dust out into one of blue pan input of ultrasound :nana:
Last edited by jimmie on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobaji
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobaji » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:01 am

great thanks for the updated patch sheets - really useful.

wily
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wily » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Necrobumping this post for more patch inspiration!

:banana:
wily

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”