MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

plumbutter patch sharing thread :D
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author plumbutter patch sharing thread :D
windspirit
So since the plumbutter is the most patch-able CL instrument, since there is a picture of the layout on the website, and since it is quite a beast to tangle with, I thought that maybe we could share some patches digitally for some sorts of inspiratorial cross-modulation.

Heres the template that I grabbed from the website. I filled in the alpha channel to improve readability. Kozepz shared an adobe illustrator file https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58821&start=300 to help make these patches prettier but as I am running linux, I just felt like doing the patches by hand in GIMP.

Thanks for the awesome idea kozepz!

Here are the patches that I have made so far. Instead of putting together an entire patch, which would be probably unreadable, I try to strip down the patch to the "essence" of what's going on. Therefore wherever you see a module being driven by a rolz that has nothing connected to it, feel free to color in the empty spaces. Same goes if there is a patch that involves only rolz and is connected to nothing. In these patches I use red cords to indicate triggers, green for slow modulation CVs and pink for audio. I chose those colors to contrast from the colors that are already there but feel free to use your own color scheme.

This patch only deals with audio. Higher energy (ie high Q and high speeds etc) yields more conventional feedback but once you pull back on the throttle a little bit the feedback decays into crazy FM screeches that fade in and out.

This patch only deals with triggers. The noise is modulated by triggers and so it just jumps in every once in awhile. I think you can tell that I like circular feedback loops (being someone ho got into noise with the whole guitar pedal feedback thing.)

This patch only uses one trigger but uses cross-triggering to make synchronized generative burbles. Very rhythmic nonsense can arise from this one.

This is just a fun deerhorn cross-modulation patch

Lets see what you've been doing with your plumbutter This is fun!
Arcade Sinusoid
8_) Gonna try these patches now. Thanks
pugix
Great patch ideas! Thanks for posting. I use cross-modulation patching a great deal and I can't wait to try out yours.

I've documented some P.B. patches by printing out non-color copies of the graphic and drawing on them. I'll have to see what I can use for drawing on these as graphics with the Macbook.
wednesdayayay
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

you could also use gimp I believe
windspirit
made a few more patches.

This one has a really nice pitched hand drum type of sound resulting from the gong cycle position being fed back into its pitch input. You may have to play with the verso/ inverso inputs and try each one as I have noticed sometimes the filters wont open up when these are modulated.

So i really like using the snare module as a CV source / modulator but I dont know about using it for sound simply because there isn't much that you can do with it besides feed it triggers. Someone prove me wrong please. This patch can go all kinds of places but I generally just put the Q all the way up on both gongs so they self oscillate and then play with the FM knobs and quantum dust knob.

This one makes some wonderful, gutteral thick bass glitches. For something more straight-forward rhythmic get rid of the green grey plug to blue plug connection. That modulates the wait time for the gong counter.

This is an adaptation of my earlier circular feedback patch (which one haha) that basically takes all of the rhythmic operation of each module and has them cross modulate in both directions. The audio cross modulation is optional but it sounds pretty good.

So I think you can see my style by now. Plug something into something else and then back into the first thing. Its more interesting to me to have CV feedback rather than audio feedback because audio feedback can yield stable results and CV feedback just makes wacko crazy behaviors. This might seem repetitive but Peter puts this into many of his designs ala "chaos" knob. Plus it really stretches the capabilities of pretty much any synth/ guitar pedal/ heart rate monitor you are playing with. There Im done have fun with these patches

Rockin' Banana!
kozepz
Thanks Windspirit for the patches and descriptions!
Gonna try them out now...

Edit:
Real fun patches, it really helped and inspired me!
kozepz
Inspired by some of windspirit's patches
rollz into ultra
avdog xmod avdog
gong xmod gong

[s]http://soundcloud.com/k-o-z-z/hlw-scene1[/s]

And here's the patch 8_)

windspirit
Yay! Thank you for sharing looking forwards to trying this out. Gonna post a video of the most recent circular rhythmic modulation patch soon.
kozepz
Here's another one...
The symbols with the white circles are the stripped bananas for touch.
Adjust knob settings to your liking hihi

wednesdayayay
stripped bananas on the snare and gongs when I tried it were so much fun

it made me want a permanent touch breakout box again
windspirit
love the vid, also watched the wspa1 vid and there are some lovely sounds in that one. I do however think that patch could have used a few more patch cords wink
kozepz
Lol...wsp1a stands for wind spirit patch 1a hihi
I had it real nice running untill I decided to make a patch video, things were not reproducable....but thats the beauty of it

@wednesday
Did you have a breakout box?
wednesdayayay
no I just forgot that I did with all the shnth haze around the last several days lol

sorry to mislead
kozepz
hahaha no props...but looking at the duosk with all its possibilities love

another patch to start with.
rollz feeding clock to mwrs
alternating on/off manual input
naked banana on the fm from the ultrasound

and here how it sounded

[s]http://soundcloud.com/k-o-z-z/pb-patch-3[/s]

hope you like it!
windspirit

heres a demo of the most recent circular rhythmic feedback modulation patch that I uploaded. I was maybe 2 patch cords short of having the feedback go in both directions.
kozepz
Lovely sounds! 8_)
and I like your setup!

Did you make the cables yourself? I have very thick ones and is not easy wiggling when stacked around in the rolls
windspirit
yeah man, most of the cables are pomona, which are 1$ for each plug. Its cool because you can change the length/ color wire. Its also very easy.
kozepz
thanks!
I've checked mouser, they charge the double...have to look further but I like the smaller cables.
windspirit
this one came out of a thought experiment of me trying to make a wobble bass :p
kozepz
hihi and on and on
windspirit
I really wish the thing hadnodes for thw raw outputs of the sah module (forgetting the lonbardization of that right now.) I can think of a lot of uses for it
Arcade Sinusoid
kozepz wrote:
hihi and on and on

S&H???
Great we're not worthy
kozepz
I don't know if it is sample and hold, but its the basic beat from this track:
http://soundcloud.com/k-o-z-z/ongdu-basic-dub

You have to play with the rate knob of the rolls a little, because when I turned PB off and on the next morning the heartbeat was gone.
Arcade Sinusoid
Cool
Thanks Rasta-nana
kozepz
Playing audio out of d'horn through rollz into u'sound.

Actually found by mistake. I wanted to see the difference between the red and white outputs of the d'horn on the blue ones from the rollz, but hey I got sound with some rhytmic variation.

This is the basic idea.

[/img]
windspirit
that is an awesome idea I would have never thought of putting audio rate voltages in there
wednesdayayay
this also works with the snare...

thank you so much for pointing it out!
kozepz
thumbs up
more to explore everyday
Krispy
kozepz I really like the dub track thumbs up
kozepz
Thanks Krispy!

Here's an example of the audio deerhorn trough the blues via the orange back to the green of d'horn.
The gated effect has a nice influence on the delay.

prscrptn
^ absolutely beautiful! thumbs up
kozepz
Thanks prscrptn!
Its gonna take a while to make some other dubs as Imac decided to give me the white-screen-of-death, and I have no hardware fx.
windspirit

okay new patch, i call this one the "Psuedoklee" since it is adding together the voltages of all of the states which are on in the sequencer to get changing CVs rather than just on/off. Noise is added for clock randomness, and the internal oscillator of the SAH is used for a continuous tone.

This one uses the gongs for a more dynamic feel, also syncs them to the sequencer.

Keep in mind that since all of these nodes are connected into one node it is easy to avoid stacking 3 bananas by just finding another node inside of the "supernode" to connect to, even if they arent next to eachother on the patching diagram. Also I suggest experimenting with where the noise is patched into the clock.

ALSO this last patch is dependent on keeping a certain amount of feedback in the loop, so if you dont hear anything just raise the Q on the gong that is plugged into the redsteam sequencer input until it makes a steady tone, then the sequencer will have some on positions and you can lower the Q gradually to find a good point.
kozepz
Nice!
Just tried out the patches!

Although obvious I never patched mwrs with itself, thanks! thumbs up
windspirit
Im not sure its being patched with itself, more just being added together grin thanks though!
kozepz
Patch:
Quantum dust modulates the fm of the 4/4 gong, when signal enters the comparator, and the gong fm itself.
The same signal has influence on the decay of the snare/hh.

I think its a nice way to throw in some variation in 4/4 rhythms.

In the last part its get controlled by the other gong via the response time.
I've alse tried it via mwrs to make to the duration time longer but I couldnt get that to work.

blue_lu
kozeps - amazing music and video. really, really cool! makes me think about picking one of these plumbutters up. keep it up, really inspirational!
windspirit
plumbutter dance party! no diagram on this one?
kozepz
@blue_li, thanks...dont hessitate, they might be gone before you know it hihi

@windspirit, here's the diagram, very simple patch.
The red cable is connected in the end of the video to give a snare sound.

EDIT:
wrong patch image, belongs to the dancing song
I'll have to make it...will upload it this evening

EDIT2:
here's the patch from the video above
phisynth
really cool kozepz thumbs up

yeah, I had some fun 4/4 moments with the PB too wink

may I ask what program do you use to draw these nice patch cables with shadows ?

ph
kozepz
Thanks Phi!
Would love to hear your 4/4 moments hyper

I use Illustrator for this, or iDraw on the iPad.
Drop me a note if you need the Illustrator file!
Oldstench
Clicky, snare shuffle doo-dad.

The yellow lines indicate approximate knob positions.
windspirit
Yay! Welcome to the butter grin
kozepz
Warning: 4/4 monotonous groove w00t
Patch along smile

jdev
kozepz, thanks again for another great PB video and sounds! Nice grooves.

And, will be checking out that new album as well. thumbs up
kozepz
Thanks jdev!
kozepz
What I use a lot to lower avdogs pitch:

patch an unlit orange output from an unclocked mwrs into avdogs purple fm and play with the fm knob
I like the low frequencies, really good for low-droning...

Don't know the theory behind it, but it works!
wednesdayayay
nice! I never even thought of that
I like using the ground on the gongs FM inputs to get some nice low tones

would you mind patching them both up and seeing if they are any different?

Should be getting my coco in a couple weeks
and then I will buy me a pb2 (maybe a dual if I can sell my soundplane)

although I must say if the soundplane doesn't sell before then playing it through the coco will be pretty fun
kozepz
Sure no problem!
What is the ground? I dont have a black nana on mine hmmm.....

Guess I am following you.
I was getting a eurorack together, but money wise it would take a long time. Gonna sell all and go totally CL..
wednesdayayay
can you imagine the fun to be had with a dual plumbutter a nice small room and 4 speakers

i was thinking it would be fun to setup the outputs in an X pattern

let us say that the L and R side of the dual plumbutter have outputs numbered 1, 2 (for L) and 3, 4 (for R)

1 4
-X
3 2

you have a pb2 right? I don't think peter installed ground jacks standard on them. The process to add a ground to the cocoquantus is very trivial so hopefully the same would be the case here

CL all the way
are you located in the US if you don't mind me asking?
windspirit
STOP making me want to spend all my money! evil
wednesdayayay
Dead Banana sorry

I amm starting to feel the same about myself

I thought I would be selling my soundplane but I just got this response from randy (creator, madrona labs) about the possibility of using the aleph (new stand alone device from monome) with the soundplane for standalone CV generation. I thought for sure it would only work with something like the monome, manta, or shnth as they don't need much as far as translation goes but the soundplane requires an extra application to run in the background.

"I don’t want to give anything away. I’ll just say it can't hurt to wait a week."

the week wait is in reference to the decibel festival
this is their block to talk
"4:00-6:30 – New Media Hardware platforms and communities with Brian Crabtree, Randy Jones and Peter Nyboer.

Monome, Livid, Madrona Labs present thoughts on Open Platforms, DIY hardware and New Media interfaces."

and here I thought I was on a clear path very frustrating
kozepz
I'd rather imagine two naked ladies in my bed... Guinness ftw!
just can't handle four hihi

My location is The Netherlands.

wednesdayayay wrote:
can you imagine the fun to be had with a dual plumbutter a nice small room and 4 speakers

i was thinking it would be fun to setup the outputs in an X pattern

let us say that the L and R side of the dual plumbutter have outputs numbered 1, 2 (for L) and 3, 4 (for R)

1 4
-X
3 2

you have a pb2 right? I don't think peter installed ground jacks standard on them. The process to add a ground to the cocoquantus is very trivial so hopefully the same would be the case here

CL all the way
are you located in the US if you don't mind me asking?
kozepz
New laboratory information

I've always wandered how to get both deerhorn's outputs simultaneously.
Sometimes it works when very carefully waving.
Today by mistake somekind of interference seemed to do the trick.

Cable from the orange out touching a screw on the pcb, and its output in the white out of avdog....and perhaps something else
When the cable was not touching the screw, deerhorn went back to left right

I gonna try to reproduce this, but does anyone have a clue?

kozepz
just found a simple way, but you need to touch the screw with your finger in this one

wednesdayayay
I was playing around with my new plumbutter2 today

Has anyone else sent cv modulations through the gongs?

I was using the triangle outs from the CQ through the gongs today

Then fm modulating the gongs to sweep their response
kozepz
If for some reason you like to have all the outs of mwrs lid and some control over it.

Patch output ultrasound A into trigger in mwrs, patch the other ultrasound B out into the purple of mwrs.
The base frequency of B controls now the on/of state of mwrs.

You can modulate this by patching an orange roll out into the fm of the ultrasound B.

Krispy
I've tried a few of these patches thanks.

I wonder if some of you could help me understand things a little better. I've studied the text on the plumbutter site, but I'm still struggling to figure out the basics. I realise the very nature of this machine is it's randomness, but I'd love to know where to bloody start lol. seriously, i just don't get it

Any guidance would be much appreciated. At the moment I can't seem to even get the snare to make a sound arghh! very frustrating

I can obviously take the random approach and plug the bananas in wherever, but it would be good to have some sort of understanding....

Thanks
kozepz
In this thread Pugix wrote some very interesting stuff:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58821&start=all

Quote:
Quote:
AVDog and Gongue clarified.

Peter's descriptions of these modules on the web page and the schematics are, as usual, light on simplification, but rich in philosophy. I really enjoy reading them. Makes me think and it's fun to figure stuff out. Yesterday, as I ate lunch at work, I read over the AVDog schematic yet again and got more insight into how it works.

AVDOG

AVDog is essentially a VCO followed by a pair of VCAs. The two knobs inside the 'dog body' outline are the main frequency and FM CV attenuator of the VCO. The VCO goes right into a pair of VCAs, the outputs of which are the white and red jacks. Note that the VCO is unheard except by way of the VCAs. (Aux inputs also go into the VCAs.) The unique part of AVDog is the use of a state-variable VCF as an envelope generator. You all know that a filter can be made to ring by sending a pulse to its input. That is exactly what INPULS is, the green jack. It's the VCF input. But think of it rather as the trigger input to the EG. The filter runs at sub-audio frequencies to make an envelope for the VCAs. (This envelope is available on the orange jack.) Unlike a normal EG, this one has a response rate and a Q control (the knobs outside the dog body). These vary how it responds to trigger inputs. The blue VER and INV are CV inputs for the EG response rate. That's it. When you send external input to AVDog, you are using it as a EG/VCA and the VCO is deactivated by setting the TRAD/GONZ switch to the middle.

GONGUE

It's a bit confusing that AVDog and Gongue have the same panel layout. They are different beasts. Gongue is essentially a VCF, but it only acts in a normal VCF manner when using the Aux input. It's primary use is as a filter that rings in the audio range. The filter center frequency, CV input, and Q controls are inside the body outline. It makes the bongo sound by being run by another part of its circuit, that I'll call the Trigger part (Theta on the schematic). Theta is an envelope generator, but a very strange one. It's triggered by INPULS (green), but the triggers are delayed by a voltage controlled section. The rate pot for that is outside the Gongue body outline (in the same location as the frequency pot for AVDog). The blue VER and INV CV inputs affect the Trigger section. The result of delaying of the INPULS goes to the filter input to ring it, resulting in bongos. This is simple, right. lol I have a harder time explaining Gongue, because the Trigger part isn't like any ordinary synthesizer module. It also outputs its envelope on the orange and gray jacks. Orange is normal and gray is inverted (and also AC-coupled for some reason).

More information, gleaned last night.

Trigger inputs (green banana jack, except for the ultrasound inputs, which are audio inputs) can be driven by a brown jack from a rolls lfo. This includes the AVDog, Gongue, Man with Red Steam clock, and Snare Hit trigger.

You can patch anything together without fear. I found that the red pulse outputs from the shifter (Man with Red Steam) can be patched together to get a kind of 'wire-or' function. Stack two of those into snare hit trigger and you get a snare hit on both.

In case it wasn't clear, the Red button overrides the data input on Man with Red Steam and sets it on. The White button overrides it and sets it off. White button does nothing unless there's a clock input patched.

Quote:
I've found this about the triggering. A falling pulse into the green jack initiates the action. After this "INPULS" there is a delayed response. In AVDog it takes the form of a subsonic filter ringing. In Gong it's a secondary, delayed trigger. The delay times are voltage controllable via the blue jacks.

Quote:
I don't think that strongly synching events in plumbutter is a design goal. (Though you can make the two 4-rolz go in lockstep by patching between their brown jacks). Rather, the rhythmic events are temporally correlated without being strictly synchronized. There is always some delay in AVDog and Gong between between the trigger and the effect it produces. You can shorten or lengthen the delay time, but not make it zero.

Are you using a walmart or batteries? I read it could make a difference in response.
Krispy
Ah man Kozepz, thanks for this!
I'm using a battery at the moment. Maybe thats why the snare isn't responding...it did cross my mind hmm
It was working before
wednesdayayay
I had trouble getting batteries to work consistently or for very long
was it brand new? That certainly helped me out before but your best ticket is a power adapter

the plumbutter is such a fun puzzlebox
Krispy
Yes it was a new battery...but maybe its running out of juice. Everything else seems to be working fine though

Puzzlebox yep I agree haha Dead Banana
bunkerspreckles
So this is not strictly a patching related question, buuuuut
Has anyone here has messed with the tuning capacitors on their deerhorn? I ask bc when i turned on pb recently, the bottom screw antenna seems to have stopped participating in the radio field. The top screw still works as it should, but the bottom one only triggers the oscillator if the screw itself is actually being touched. All the other inputs/outputs and controls are working. I'm wondering if tweaking the tuning cap(s) might bring the response back?
I will prob try this out when i get back from holiday travels, but thought I'd put it out there in case anybody has advice Tinfoil Hat thx!
wednesdayayay
I never have messed with mine
sorry I'm not any help
some clarification would be nice
you may have to ask shoot peter an email
bartlebooth
yeah occasionally it will get out of whack, tweaking the tuning cap will do the trick. its easy to do, just find a small flat-head screwdriver and put the top cross tuning knob near to the center. then turn the trimmer just a little bit at a time while putting your hand over the antenna until you get a good balance between the two oscillators. you can use the leds as a guide too
bunkerspreckles
coola thanks for the info bartlebooth, i'll give it a shot when i return next week and let ye know what happens.

btw is there anything fun/interesting going on this weekend?
Im in baltimore visiting the fam, and have sunday free to roam...
windspirit
Has anyone found a way to have the top oscillator ring out for a shorter time? I find that this is the main reason that I don't use the deer horn as much as I would like to.
bartlebooth
not sure if this is what you're after but if you flick your wrists so your hand quickly passes in and out of the radio field you should be able to get very short percussive hits. peter once explained to me that the deerhorn is designed to respond to the energy of your gesture, similar to a sidrassi bar.
windspirit
Hmmm its usually the lower oscillator that reacts proportionally to my gestures but the top oscillator, as soon as I pull my hand away it just rings out for about 10-15 seconds. Its not like the pressure bar where one output is triggered only when going down and the other is triggered only when going up.
wednesdayayay
has anyone else tried selfcycling the gongs?

it takes a quick cable change but plug a cable into the green input of a gong
then trigger it and unplug the trigger source then plug the cable into the white output of the same gong

now this is all well and good and you can set your time by the response time knob but if you then take the same gongs grey output and insert it into the blue verso/inverso of the gong you can create little patterns by varying the response time rather than just tempo changes.
kozepz
If you like to increase the tempo in a stable way for your techno gongues

windspirit
Bringing this thread back!

I've been trying to plug things in the PB "where they shouldn't go" more recently to coax even wierder sounds out of it. This sound is not the most compelling but it is still pretty cool. The gong feedback is mostly to provide rhythmic variation to the rollz, interestingly enough modulating verso and inverso using the same gong does not cancel out. I am pretty sure that these two outputs are different kinds of signals, hence the different colors.

Anyways the interesting sound comes out of the Ultrasound, AVDOG doesn't really make any sounds (that I have noticed). You will mostly hear the effect with both the speed and Q of the AVDOG all the way CW and the bottom "quantum" knob of the MWTRS snare drum all the way CCW. The largest change in the sound then obviously comes from messing with the base frequency and FM knobs of the ultrasound. Then of course speed of the rollz and division of the gong create rhythmic variations. You really just have to mess around with it to get what is going on.
Dirty_Bill
Thanks for reviving this - I patched up BOTh of the last patches, and then mixed them together, it seems that my PB Dearborn likes having two more 'friends' on the coco-deer.
windspirit
Quit bragging about having a cocodeer and just upload a video already! :p
Dirty_Bill
windspirit wrote:
Quit bragging about having a cocodeer and just upload a video already! :p

I desperately tried tonight, but the technology of a v capture railed against me waah
Jaktmark
So I've just received my Plumbutter 2, haven't hade any time to sit with it yet so before I dive head first I though I should get some advice here!
Is there something I should be wary about before starting patching? Are there any big no-no's i.e. can you fry something if you accidentally patch it "wrong"? hmmm.....
mrbloor
welcome, just avoid yellow connected to brown & all will go swimmingly well thumbs up
Jaktmark
Thank you very much! I'm very much looking forward to learn the ins and outs of this intriguing instrument!

But that's great, I will have that in mind smile
I was a bit unsure because of the "Blue bananas are strict control inputs", thought maybe you could only plug the orange cv outs to those jacks. Decided it was best to ask before getting any strange ideas hehe.
mrbloor
p.s. do you still have the flower electronics i sold you? a year later i had to track down another set (little did i know they would stop making them). the flowers & ciat play nice thumbs up
Jaktmark
I still have both them! I think I've used them in almost all my recordings since I bought them from you, needless to say I love them!

Will definitely try them together with the Plumbutter when I feel comfortable enough with it
horaflora
I have, at least for a little while, 2 plumbutters - v1 and v2... Aside from all the doubled (quadrupled!) sounds available, does anybody here have any doubleplumbutter patching tips, tricks, or suggestions? Very happy to try things out you may be curious about!

I had thought there would be some real compounded action available, but so far am finding that double voices might just be that - doubled polyphony - not necessarily more than the sum of their parts, as I had somewhat expected going in..

.. Don't get me wrong, it's great fun, and certainly nice to patch up 4 gongs in different tonal regions, but I keep thinking that there should be something extra cool to be done with the MWRS in particular, maybe with a matrix mixer, which is available as well... Well, I mean, when I add that to the equation, there's too many possibilities, but should mention it could be involved..

Cheers!
mrbloor
I patch the two MWRS together so the sequencing becomes much slower, also using one of the deer horns to trigger two gongs with gesture whilst the other two gongs are triggered from rollz or MWRS. The two extra ultrasounds is nice as two can be connected to sound from the rollz & two used for filtering other sounds. A four way av dog drone is really nice, you can get lots of action from unplugging & plugging in the inverso''s to the orange as you progress.

I find having two, everything is slowed down which for me is brilliant. It's worth holding onto both for a while seeing if they work for you.
horaflora
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I had read Peter's suggestion of using the man with red steam to slow everything down, but I haven't tried it yet, certainly will tonight!
I had gotten a little obsessed with the idea of using the shift registers with the matrix mixer to get a rungler like dynamics/randomness going, but my results have been less than stellar…
… I suppose if I give that up for a little while I can slow things down and see how that suits me!

This reminds me, I recently tried getting the special wave (gray banana) from each gone to trigger the other gongs, which had worked in one plum better, but when I extend it between the four of them, it seems that they get caught up and don't Trigger all the way around in an infinity handshake… A nice way to slow things down on one plum better though, just to set the delay times for the gongs real long and get their special outputs to trigger the man who read steam…
filmersam
patch a yellow out from triggered ultrasound to snare drum verso or inverso for metallic 'TINK'!
Mashmore
filmersam wrote:
patch a yellow out from triggered ultrasound to snare drum verso or inverso for metallic 'TINK'!

I tried this the other day. Thanks for the tip!
dlozanothornton
filmersam wrote:

I love this, i sometimes use both outs for verso and inverso
also yellow to mixer in has interesting results, and stacked both to either gong or both! is really cool.
Ive never dared the triple output stacked to one input though, not sure if thats safe..
wednesdayayay
I've done three orange and at least one roll to the FM ins of a gong before

both yellow outs into the other ultra's FM ins is a fun little chaotic whirlpool machine
dlozanothornton
wednesdayayay wrote:
I've done three orange and at least one roll to the FM ins of a gong before

both yellow outs into the other ultra's FM ins is a fun little chaotic whirlpool machine

the triple stack has revitalized my patching, no issues whatsoever with stacking yellows and oranges together even into FM inputs, avoiding browns of course!
reds, grey from snare and other browns all seem to work together really well.

Also on pb2, brown to either (but not both) mixer CV in allow you to mute one side of each module
myecholalia
as i just got a plumbutter2 recently, this thread has been a great way to get started.
for all other plumbutter2 owners, i've adapted the patch sheet to the slightly revised pb2 layout.
you can find the patch sheet in the attached zip file. it contains the sheet in pdf, jpg, and eps formats.
full credits to kozepts for the original ai file!
let me know if i messed up hihi
crystalsound8
Hi everyone

This is my first post on MW! I recently got a plumbutter2 because I love the sound I heard from the demos I watched. However, this is my introduction into patching gear so I'm a bit lost.

I followed the patches mentioned on this thread but I'm getting zero sound out of the plumbutter. feel like I'm overlooking something really silly but I have no idea.

Power supply is good and I have the audio cable plugged into the output that's on the opposite side of the 3 aux inputs.

Please help me out.

Thank you!
knows
crystalsound8 wrote:
Hi everyone

This is my first post on MW! I recently got a plumbutter2 because I love the sound I heard from the demos I watched. However, this is my introduction into patching gear so I'm a bit lost.

I followed the patches mentioned on this thread but I'm getting zero sound out of the plumbutter. feel like I'm overlooking something really silly but I have no idea.

Power supply is good and I have the audio cable plugged into the output that's on the opposite side of the 3 aux inputs.

Please help me out.

Thank you!

The mixer is on the left, five knobs, turn left is off right is on. The output is stereo so make sure you have a stereo cable.
The deerhorn needs no patching, start here. Slowly move your hand around the green area, tune with the three knobs.
On each sound source there is a three way toggle switch, make sure none are in middle position.
Report back.
crystalsound8
knows wrote:
crystalsound8 wrote:
Hi everyone

Please help me out.

Thank you!

The mixer is on the left, five knobs, turn left is off right is on. The output is stereo so make sure you have a stereo cable.
The deerhorn needs no patching, start here. Slowly move your hand around the green area, tune with the three knobs.
On each sound source there is a three way toggle switch, make sure none are in middle position.
Report back.

Thanks for the response. Reporting back... no sound! I'm using the 3.5mm jack in the middle of the unit next to the power supply for the stereo output. Mixer knobs are turned fully clockwise and no switches are in the middle position.

This is the stereo cable I'm using http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159

This is the power supply I'm using http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_11 7479_-1

These are the banana cables I'm using http://www.testpath.com/Categories/Standard-4mm-Banana-Cables-1823.htm  ?kw=&ctl00_MainContent_Results_ProductListChangePage=1_50
crystalsound8
I figured it out... I was using inputs 7 & 8 on my RME but I had them set to the front jacks in the RME preferences but had the cables plugged into the rear of the unit. After adjusting the preferences... I have sound! I knew it was something silly.

Geez, what a way to introduce myself to the forum zombie

Playing with deerhorn for 5 secs through a timeline and bigsky and I'm already excited!

Can't wait to contribute to this thread...
ClausF
crystalsound8 wrote:
I figured it out... I was using inputs 7 & 8 on my RME but I had them set to the front jacks in the RME preferences but had the cables plugged into the rear of the unit. After adjusting the preferences... I have sound! I knew it was something silly.

Shit happens, I think all of us had situations like that... w00t
crystalsound8
Yea I guess we do. Thanks for the help guys!

I'm gonna try these patches now to learn the PB2 signal flow.
ghrobbing_tristle
Hey, gang! I created a more low-contrast patch sheet for the Plumbutter 2 recently, with added sections to mark switch positions and blank knobs -- sharing here in case it's helpful to anyone!

horaflora
nice, thanks!!!
jimmie
alternative snare:

- trigger snare by something (say rolz)
- take grey output into a blue input(verso or inverso). gong works well. snare decay knob to change the tone of 'alto snare.'

now,
trigger snare and an avDog. take an orange out into ultrasound. dust out into one of blue pan input of ultrasound nanners
Bobaji
great thanks for the updated patch sheets - really useful.
wily
Necrobumping this post for more patch inspiration!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
mysticsusieq
Hi! I'm a newbie here and this is my first post! hyper I got a Plumbutter a few months ago after I saw Hainbach's videos on YouTube and was so amazed that I decided to get one, too!

I have no previous experience with using patch cables and barely have an inkling of what I'm doing, but I really liked how this patch turned out. I didn't want to unplug anything for weeks because I liked it so much but I finally sat down and tried to make a record of it using one of the templates here (thanks!). This is all one patch but I needed to use three images to keep all of the wires from getting too confusing.

I hope others will find it fun and interesting!

rmro
I’ve been re-watching this video of PeterB with the Plumbutter and trying to generate the ultrasound noise that starts to be generated (around 11:10). I get similar sounds but not the feeling that it’s generating the noise like on the vid. More an accumulation of clicks, bleeding into each other.

I suspect I’m being too analytical but if there’s tips for generating this kind of sound using I’d be keen to hear.

https://youtu.be/A1vuzw9Stk8
jimmie
If you're after the 'noise' kind of sound you may get similar sound by connecting a 3 roll to ultrasound (try browns), and the roll needs to be modulated by other 4 (and 3) rollz somewhat complicated way. I get that kind of sound much easier with rolz5 whose rolls are not voltage controlled.
rmro
This is how I'm generating the noise as per previous posts.

The 4 is at slowest and the 3 is just enough to let the noise sound. I've found it a a good starting point for lots of interesting patches. e.g Creating a mirror on the other Rollz and getting more modulation

The noise can be drawn out longer going 3 Roll Orange out into 4 Roll Verso/Inverso (not sure which one but the Blue to slow the Roll down)

What I found from deep-diving on this is it's easy to patch too many things then it all becomes a rapid drill of pulses. In fact, it's what I've really grown to like about the PB, I requires space and balancing feedback to dig out the nuggets.

Also, if you have a Sidrax I’ve had interesting results patching the Orange outs into the PB Verso/Imverso rather than from the Rollz. Pressing the Barres gives a different playable effect

jimmie
Very nice patch thumbs up thumbs up Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I'm still after Plumbutter official page's example sound. Those are the sound made me to get a PB, bestest of PB for me. I can't get really the same sound no matter what. I think they were made by first version of PB and suppose that's the reason. I prefer PB2 formfactor, tho..
Lewis#
... wanted to share the following patch which sounds cool when adding some delay: avdog contributing a constant tone, gongz a bongo-bass and ultrasound some vibes up to a very cool steamy sound (depending on turning the fm knob completely counterclock-wise) ... hope you like it:
jimmie
It's so often the same patch doesn't yield the same result. It's not because of the subtle knob position; more likely the caps' condition etc. So to replicate something exactly, even chord patching order needs to be in mind, or even more is that sometimes plugged some jack and then umplugged it (to make some condition to the cap etc - my guess). That's where PB is very interesting and at the same time frustrating (hard reproducibility) and makes making truly working patch book so hard Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 5