MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

any alternative to vector rails ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author any alternative to vector rails ?
tony d
Just curious if anyone is using different rails than vector? I don't know much about the vector's or have anything against them just wondering if there is alternatives ?
I was interested in what randal was offering but have to wait on that purchase at the moment.
Does doepfer have there's made for them ? i got some of those when i purchased there kit and was hoping to find something similiar.
bubblesound
there are some rails by schroff. i believe they are what doepfer uses on the low cost cases. they have predrilled holes and i think they are threaded so you don't need a nut.
if you're shying away from vector rails because of the insane prices for the square nuts they think you need don't worry. you can use regular hex nuts. it's a little tough to find the exact right size, but you can do it and get a couple of hundred for the price of 20 vector nuts.
Adam-V
The Schroff rails use threaded inserts just like the Proma rails Doepfer use. They will also accept sliding nuts.

If you're not planning on moving your modules around too often you can of course just screw them into wooden rails with self tapping screws.

Cheers,
Adam-V
dougcl
You can get Schroff rails. The threaded strips are separate.

Sometimes you can find boxes of Schroff rails on ebay. I have a box of 20 that I need to get rid of.
tony d
Thanks for the info guys.
The nut thing is why i have been hesitant to order vector rails so that info really helps bubblesound and i also have a hardware store in town that carries about every size screw/nut/bolt imaginable (usually 2-3 employees working just that section)
I think I'll pm doug.
Thanks for the help
dougcl
You can get the threaded strips from Schroff. Seems like they are pretty reasonable as I recall.
ndkent
I just tried to put an order with in for the threaded strips with schroff.us (pentair) for the threaded strips. Unfortunately while they sent me a preliminary e-mail saying they got my request for a price quote (the site has no prices and there are unstated minimums on quantity) but they never sent me a quote so now I'm back to square two (I have some rails but need the strips and metal sides since I need to rack these (so wood sides are not an answer).

It's worth noting that there are at least two kinds of strips. There are shiny ones that just guide the screw, larger holes and are not threaded and there are the actual threaded strips which is obviously what one needs.

I've used the nuts and it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's worth noting that at least the Doepfer rails I've seen with the nuts and the threaded rails I've seen are not compatible if you want to switch methods. I'm guessing it's a Schroff vs Proma thing.

As for screws. I think most everything is M2.5 or M3 though the length varies... I've had to cut down a batch of too long screws I bought based on net info. I never figured out if it was my ordering error or not. I've had too short screws too
moogyboy
Adam-V wrote:
The Schroff rails use threaded inserts just like the Proma rails Doepfer use. They will also accept sliding nuts.

If you're not planning on moving your modules around too often you can of course just screw them into wooden rails with self tapping screws.

Cheers,
Adam-V

hey all

First post here in a while...

I was thinking about wooden rails, a'la Roger's DIY cabinet instructions at synthesizers.com. It makes a lot of sense, considering what a pain it seems to be to locate proper metal rails, it seems like it'd be a hell of a lot easier/cheaper for a DIY cabinet. My question is, do the metal rails serve any electrical function, ie to ground the modules, or is a nonconductive rail okay to use? I was thinking that if the rail did need to be conductive I could cover it with metal tape or something. But wooden rails and wood screws seems like a good alternative. I guess by self-tapping you meant something like sheet metal screws?

cheers

Billy S.
moogyboy
That reminds me: how much "lip" is there in general on Eurorack modules, ie the amount of clearance top and bottom for the rails? (Sorry to make my newbness so obvious; I'm trying to plan a Eurorack system without yet having any modules.) I suppose I wouldn't really care if there was a gap between rows of modules, but it would be nice to know what size of wooden trim stock to buy for rails.

cheers

Billy S.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1