MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend Stomp Box Compressor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Recommend Stomp Box Compressor
Pdm1138
I'm in the market for a compressor, probably in pedal format. I run my modular through a chain of pedals, but often get harsh spikes here and there (due to my wonky wiggling, no doubt). I've looked at the few tube compressors on the market (EHX, TREX) and they get decent reviews, but most people say the tubes don't make much difference.

Thought or suggestions are appreciated.
dkcg
I got a Diamond Compressor I like a lot, I also have a Keeley, but it's not nearly as transparent as the Diamond.

I've wanted the Effectrode and the Empress compressors, but I think 2 is enough for me.

I don't know how well these take line/modular levels. I have a Urei LA-22 and a RNC Leveling amp for the modular. You might look at the RNC stuff, 2 channels and a great value. There's better, but not much (if any) for the price or the RNC gear. Maybe the Overstayer if you want to loosen up the wallet a little.
EMwhite
Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter very good also.
Pdm1138
Thanks for the suggestions. Need to spend some time listening to demos this evening.
NU
dkcg wrote:
You might look at the RNC stuff, 2 channels and a great value. There's better, but not much (if any) for the price or the RNC gear.

+1. Pedal size and price but the RNC is much better than any pedals I've used.
Chrome Dinette
I had heard great things about the Celmo Sardine Can, but was not really into it once I got it.

I never use a compressor live, but I plug right into a DBX163x if I want a compressor at home.

there are tons of compressor reviews here:

http://www.ovnilab.com/
flo
The RNC is indeed very nice for its size and prize. Can only recommend it.

Out of the pedals, I have and like the Boss CS 3 for some dirty drum machine actions. hihi
Pdm1138
Ovnilabs is a great resource. thanks. The RNC is moving up to the top of the list. A friend of mine has a keeley that I'm going to try out too.

When I'm doing rhythmic stuff with my modular, I really like to squash it. I like the swell you get after peaks.
NU
Pdm1138 wrote:
When I'm doing rhythmic stuff with my modular, I really like to squash it. I like the swell you get after peaks.

One more reason to try the RNC; 2 channels means you can double up for ultrasquash. Plus it has sidechain in for further trix.
jksuperstar
The MXR Bass Compressor is clean and great for deep sounds. Pedal format, mono, but has all the knobs and gain reduction display. (attack, release, input gain, output gain, and ratio). Best comp pedal I've used. Not an effect comp though, more of a clean good studio-like comp.
Pdm1138
Thanks jk. I was just looking at that one. Wonder what the difference is between a "regular" compressor and a "bass" compressor. Doesn't a compressor just deal with amplitude, not frequency?

Anyway, I'll probably invest in a nicer, studio quality comp and also buy some used pedals and try them out. I want a good one, maybe the RNC, and a funky "that sounds like ass....but good ass" one.
richard
can anyone comment on the Carl Martin?

I wouldn't think the RNC is so robust for gigging, though I have used it in that way myself
Vorg
All in for Barber's Tone Press, also Telenordia TK-23 works great and +1 for Diamond's and RNC's.
visible cow
I use a diamond comp for my guitars (before my amp) and an fmr pbc-6a for synths/processing. There's a pbc-6a on the BST right now (actually, it just got moved to ebay)....it's a very nice sounding unit!
tuj
RNC is crap on the low end in regular mode. It distorts bass badly.

I like the MI compressor pedal, it sounds really good and has flexible controls. I also like the Jacques Fat Burner.

If you want a good rack compressors, the Chameleon labs 7720 is where its at.
Demi Jon
I love my Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone. Couldn't ebow my guitar without it. Don't know if it's what you're looking for, but it really gives incredible sustain and brings up the quietest bits to the same level as the loudest.
C A S B A H
Can't go wrong with an MXR Dynacomp.. They're not that expensive and if you want to go even cheaper you can score the Behringer clone for 20 bucks used.

Just one of those pedals that I always have to have on in my chain.
Crowyote
for years in my rig. I loved the clarity and transparency; however, I sold it. I just didn't find it to be vital to my tone . . . It just didn't bring it to the table for me.

Now I'm going to acquire a Black Finger to partner with my LPB-2ube.

I know some of the reviews are sketchy, but most of them are raves and praise of the tone quality.

Oh yeah, and hi guys! I'm relatively new here. I mostly posted at the Metasonix forum, but I got rid of all that stuff too. :p

I play PVCE Moog Guitar btw, and use a Fishman Performer (new model) as my main amp.
minorscience
I actually use an Xotic Effects EP Booster to fatten up the signal. Circuitry is based on the Echoplex's gain stage.
seamonkeyman
The Retro-Sonic Ross clone is pretty good, I had it on my board for a while and still use it in the studio.

http://www.retro-sonic.com/pedals

I then moved to the Malekko Omnicron comp, for my pedalbaord, due to trying to squeeze a Meatwad on too.

Of the two the Retro-Sonic is the better I think, but the Omnicron is fine for me as I use it only on a coulple of tracks when gigging.

http://malekkoheavyindustry.com/products/effects/#comp
deadbob166
+1 for the Barber Tone Press
alien8
Empress Effects Compressor. Absolutely my favourite compressor. Sidechain! Mix! Input and output level! Meters! Transparent!

Always on in my rig.
slovo
Barber Tone Press has probably my favorite guitar sound in it, the Diamond is real clean and handles line level signals better; not sure about modular levels tho.
noisefield
the diamond is a good one
i use it even in studio configuration and it sound great
aen
I've always hated compressors, because they make guitars sound funny, and basses sound bassless...
until I tried the Earthquaker Warden. Yummmmmmmm.
Granted, I only tried it with a bass guitar, so as far as modulars go, I don't know. But it's awesome for bass!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3