MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

sympleSEQ 2 power header
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author sympleSEQ 2 power header
jmcecil
Just reading through the instructions without the kit. Is the Install Header step the power connector?

Will the power header work with dotCom supply/connector? The instructions say tested between 9v to 12v. dotCom is 15v right?
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
Just reading through the instructions without the kit. Is the Install Header step the power connector?

Will the power header work with dotCom supply/connector? The instructions say tested between 9v to 12v. dotCom is 15v right?

Hiya,

I think you are thinking of the step where the two boards (logic and control) are connected together via the header.

sympleSEQ will work on any voltage from 9 to 15V! smile
jmcecil
hexinverter wrote:

awesome, but I don't see a step for installing the power header or where it goes? Is that one of the parts that you source yourself?
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

awesome, but I don't see a step for installing the power header or where it goes? Is that one of the parts that you source yourself?

Yes, it is one of the parts you source yourself (or not -- it's perfectly fine to use a couple of wires and just put your connector of choice on the other end to plug into your busboard)!

It is mixed into Step 6: Install Headers with the other headers, and is highlighted by outline just like the other steps in the manual smile

jmcecil
hexinverter wrote:
jmcecil wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

Yes, it is one of the parts you source yourself (or not -- it's perfectly fine to use a couple of wires and just put your connector of choice on the other end to plug into your busboard)!

It is mixed into Step 6: Install Headers with the other headers, and is highlighted by outline just like the other steps in the manual smile

Yeah, that's the step I was referencing in my original post. So, that shows a 4 pin connector in the diagram and wasn't sure how I would deal with the 5pin dotcom style header. I'm not to sure about just poking wires out the back.
jmcecil
Quote:
Install the female 12 pin header on the OTHER side of the board (ie: if you are looking at the
board from the component side, the header should be facing away from you on the other side).
This will mean that the Logic Board can “plug-in” from the back.

And step 6 doesn't talk about power at all that I can find.
jmcecil
double post very frustrating
hexinverter
Ah yes, it's easy to miss! I just briefly identify the power connector here in Step 6 of the logic board:

Here is a doodle of how you use this with a power connector that does not fit on the PCB.

There was not enough room for a 5pin MOTM connector the way I laid it out, so, I went with a 4pin MU one on this PCB.

jmcecil
lol, holy crap ... I can't read!

Thanks for that. I think I can use the 4 pin header and get an adapter from dotcom if I remember right.

Sorry man, I have no doubt that I can "assemble". But I don't "understand" yet. I'm working on the understanding part. Powering stuff seems to be the most under-explained part of DIY for me so far. I'm sure it's just I don't have the eyes to see it yet and it will be d'oh! once it clicks.

I plan a couple of your projects and a couple of MOTM in MU format. Hopefully it will start to jell.
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
lol, holy crap ... I can't read!

Thanks for that. I think I can use the 4 pin header and get an adapter from dotcom if I remember right.

Sorry man, I have no doubt that I can "assemble". But I don't "understand" yet. I'm working on the understanding part. Powering stuff seems to be the most under-explained part of DIY for me so far. I'm sure it's just I don't have the eyes to see it yet and it will be d'oh! once it clicks.

I plan a couple of your projects and a couple of MOTM in MU format. Hopefully it will start to jell.

Hehe right on! Well in hindsight I probably should have just made the PCB bigger and put a bunch of power connectors on it! smile

Well, if you're into doing more DIY, you will probably encounter a lot of project PCBs that either have the wrong power header for your format, or sometimes even none at all!

So, it might be wise to get comfortable with just running wire leads to whatever power connector you want on the other end.

For what it's worth, I don't waste my time with power connectors on PCBs when it comes to my modular! I just run flying wires. There's no PCB that you cannot adapt to your own format that way grin
jmcecil
Hey, I went to buy 2 kits and it looks like you are not selling the kits, just the PCBs. I've not sourced a project before. You wouldn't happen to have a mouser project for the simpleSEQ would you? I didn't see one on the project page (although we have established my reading skills may not be perfect).
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
Hey, I went to buy 2 kits and it looks like you are not selling the kits, just the PCBs. I've not sourced a project before. You wouldn't happen to have a mouser project for the simpleSEQ would you? I didn't see one on the project page (although we have established my reading skills may not be perfect).

Are you looking for the universal kits or the dual eurorack kits? smile I do have some dual eurorack kits but no universal right now. Sorry about that!

There is no Mouser project for the v2.0 one yet. Though, I do give Mouser numbers for the stuff that is not basic resistors/capacitors/etc. in the Google Docs BoM, so, you should be able to find the other stuff fairly easily: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dFEtTVN2S0pzW ks4UUFmcTBzMmxJVHc

Sourcing parts at Mouser seems intimidating at first, but, it's really just a matter of sorting the categories until you have what you want! I recommend becoming able to find parts on Mouser (or whatever site you like to use). It will make your DIY life a lot more enjoyable grin

Making a Mouser cart for this project (sympleSEQ v2) is one of the many things on my backlog actually. I just haven't got time to do it right now! Dead Banana
jmcecil
lol, time is the enemy! Jedi

MU format unfortunately (in context of desiring the kit)

I guess I was going to have to figure out mouser eventually.
jmcecil
hey, also was going to get the seqsquared universal board. Will you be sourcing those again any time soon?
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
lol, time is the enemy! Jedi

MU format unfortunately (in context of desiring the kit)

I guess I was going to have to figure out mouser eventually.

Hehe, yes, yes it is! I do make some sympleSEQ kits up every once and awhile. Perhaps I can get another batch made soon! Time is the enemy for me too, though, so it's hard finding time to spend packing up kits.

If you want to put your email on my mailing list, I will dispatch an email whenever I do have more in stock! http://eepurl.com/pDf_5

jmcecil wrote:
hey, also was going to get the seqsquared universal board. Will you be sourcing those again any time soon?

I will have some more PCB/microcontroller sets as well as eurorack kits in stock pretty soon (a few weeks -- the PCBs are on their way) but I will not be making any more universal kits for awhile. This project does however have a Mouser cart, so you shouldn't have any problem grabbing the parts yourself. thumbs up
jmcecil
hexinverter wrote:

I will have some more PCB/microcontroller sets as well as eurorack kits in stock pretty soon (a few weeks -- the PCBs are on their way) but I will not be making any more universal kits for awhile. This project does however have a Mouser cart, so you shouldn't have any problem grabbing the parts yourself. thumbs up

Ok, I'll keep my eye out for those. I'm more on the MU side of things right now. That's enough to keep me busy for awhile.

Thanks for the info. It's freakin amazing what you guys have accomplished in this niche world.
jmcecil
Oh, and I'm building the Mouser project for the simpleSEQ. Will it do you any good if I share it out to you when I get it populated?
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

Ok, I'll keep my eye out for those. I'm more on the MU side of things right now. That's enough to keep me busy for awhile.

Thanks for the info. It's freakin amazing what you guys have accomplished in this niche world.

No problemo! Haha yes, it is certainly a labour of love for most of the designers that I know of applause

Sure, feel free to share the sympleSEQ cart when it's done. thumbs up
jmcecil
I've about finished the cart. I have some parts that I either don't understand the results, or it doesn't seem like I'm getting what I thought I would get from the search.

CD4093 Quad NAND Gate
Most of these look surface mount even though they say through hole.
595-CD4093BE Would this one be correct?

10uF Electrolytic Capacitor
Couldn't find 2.54 ... only 2.5mm spacing
647-USA1V100MDD1TP Would this work?

1N914 Small Signal Diode
Couldn't find any Radial type or anything that said small signal. Everything was 100V, which seemed high to me. So I'm assuming I'm barking up the wrong tree with something like 78-1N914-TAP. Any suggestions?

40 pin .1" male breakaway header
12 pin .1" female header
I don't know how to filter this list for the headers in a meaningful way.

Hope you don't mind me asking for pointers on these.
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
I've about finished the cart. I have some parts that I either don't understand the results, or it doesn't seem like I'm getting what I thought I would get from the search.

CD4093 Quad NAND Gate
Most of these look surface mount even though they say through hole.
595-CD4093BE Would this one be correct?

10uF Electrolytic Capacitor
Couldn't find 2.54 ... only 2.5mm spacing
647-USA1V100MDD1TP Would this work?

1N914 Small Signal Diode
Couldn't find any Radial type or anything that said small signal. Everything was 100V, which seemed high to me. So I'm assuming I'm barking up the wrong tree with something like 78-1N914-TAP. Any suggestions?

40 pin .1" male breakaway header
12 pin .1" female header
I don't know how to filter this list for the headers in a meaningful way.

Hope you don't mind me asking for pointers on these.

Sure thing --

Those CD4093 should be fine yes!

2.5mm spacing for the electrolytics is fine!

Here are 1N4148 diodes which are what I use (they're effectively the same as 1N914): 771-1N4148,133

Don't bother with headers at Mouser. They are too expensive and hard to find with their search. I get mine a hundred or so at a time from smaller shops like this, since they are used in loads of DIY projects it's a great idea to stock up smile You'll always use them! http://www.dipmicro.ca/store/index.php?searchStr=.1+header&act=viewCat &Submit=Search
jmcecil
Mouser sympleSEQv2_U

Ok, I didn't add the headers. I didn't add Jacks. I didn't add LEDs as I read (I believe your comment) that it was cheaper just to get them off ebay.

One last set of questions (hopefully)

There is an "SPDT toggle switch (panel mount)" and a "Momentary ON push button (or toggle) switch (panel mount)"at the end of the BOM.
I only see the 1 position at the top left for another switch and it is a 3 position (run,hold,rst). Can that be the same as the other 8 SPDT? Or do you really need both a momentary and a different panel mount SPDT?

"M3 machine screw, nut + PCB standoff"
Screws no problem ... do you know which PCB standoff bracket would work with the MU panel?

Also, it looks like the 8 SPDT and 1/4 jacks will be the only expensive items (relatively speaking of course, as it's still cheap). I'll shop around for those.

Thanks a million! Can't wait to get started.
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
Mouser sympleSEQv2_U

Ok, I didn't add the headers. I didn't add Jacks. I didn't add LEDs as I read (I believe your comment) that it was cheaper just to get them off ebay.

One last set of questions (hopefully)

There is an "SPDT toggle switch (panel mount)" and a "Momentary ON push button (or toggle) switch (panel mount)"at the end of the BOM.
I only see the 1 position at the top left for another switch and it is a 3 position (run,hold,rst). Can that be the same as the other 8 SPDT? Or do you really need both a momentary and a different panel mount SPDT?

"M3 machine screw, nut + PCB standoff"
Screws no problem ... do you know which PCB standoff bracket would work with the MU panel?

Also, it looks like the 8 SPDT and 1/4 jacks will be the only expensive items (relatively speaking of course, as it's still cheap). I'll shop around for those.

Thanks a million! Can't wait to get started.

Woot! Looking good smile

Okay, so to answer your queries:

Mmm, no, it is not the same type of switch for the run/hold/reset one! What panel are you planning to build with? Some of the ones from Re:Synthesis have switches/wiring that I don't explain (since I have not had a panel to wire one and figure it out myself with). Basically, the MU panels are without any sort of support documentation from me, is what I'm saying! That run/hold/reset switch would have to be an ON-OFF-ON double pole switch.

The PCB standoffs are to mount the logic board to the control board, actually. You shouldn't need to use panel screws with it since the right toggle switches will mount it up nicely to the panel with the nuts. You will need 12mm long spacers. I just use plastic tubing cut to size, or vinyl hose. You can buy ready-made spacers, though I don't have a part number for one! Sorry!

Yes, the step switches are the most expensive part. I recommend you NOT to cheap out (too much) on these though. Also, be VERY VERY careful when selecting alternatives as the footprints for these switches vary across manufacturers smile Compare the datasheets to make sure. Make sure they are ON-OFF-ON switches if you do substitute.

Let me know if you need anything else! Just heading to the post office now to ship your boards by the way (I think that was your order? smile )
jmcecil
Yes, those are my orders! I figure I'll build two just to get my feet wet in understanding their operation, the switch the parts to a quad panel (it looks like he's using the same kits) and run it to a seqSquared. Seems like a good way to get my feet wet.

lol d'oh! of course I'm MU and using a panel from re:synthesis. It makes perfect sense to do your first project ever, by selecting the one combination that doesn't have complete documentation. So of course that's what I've managed to do. That seems to be how I role since as long as I can remember MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Anyhow, I've read the instructions a few times and I think I have most of it figured out, although the wiring for the DPDT ON-ON-ON switch (run,hold,reset is what he has listed as a part on his site) I can hopefully get one of you two to help me with. I'll have no idea how to wire it.

I won't need the toggle or button for the reset or pause as I think he has that going to the DPDT at the top of the board.

I'm contemplating taking that last little bit of space and either adding the reset in jack, or a toggle for 5V/10V/Vcc wired to the CV Out.

To be honest, I'm not sure how the 5V/10V/Vcc option affects the operation? I also don't understand Vcc other than Voltage collector notation. Which after reading an explanation about 40 times still doesn't correlate to what it means for modular synthesis in my head yet.

Anyhow, I appreciate the responses you've provided. I'll give it a rest until my kits and parts get in and I'm ready to give it a go.
jmcecil
sorry to bug you again, but I'm having a hard time finding the female 12 pin header.

Will this work?

futurlec female header
hexinverter
jmcecil wrote:
sorry to bug you again, but I'm having a hard time finding the female 12 pin header.

Will this work?

futurlec female header

Hey man! That should work just fine yes smile Don't go out of your way to get a 12pin though. You can always buy a more commonly available 40pin one and clip off the excess!

As for your other queries, I will get back to you soon smile thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2