MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Farewell PAIA, hello Synthesis Tech
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Farewell PAIA, hello Synthesis Tech
Samuron
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Synthesis Technology modules from Blacet; I had to move out my 9700 modules to make room.

I love these modules, but I have to admit I just didn't care for the knobs. I had some Makenoise ones I bought here on the forum, so I bored them out to make them press-fit; I think they blend better with the other modules:

These things sound incredible, but it's going to take me a while to explore their potential.
Tubeampguy
I have a Morphing Terrarium in my Euro set up and I just ordered One of John's FRAC panel versions. I like using mine for random LFO's in the mid amd low settings!
Its such a killer wavetable module. thumbs up
Kyhotay
Same modules I got last Summer. Supercool! BTW, what are you doing with your 9700 modules?
Samuron
Kyhotay wrote:
Same modules I got last Summer. Supercool! BTW, what are you doing with your 9700 modules?

Haven't decided yet; it was my first modular, so I hate to get rid of them, but, I somehow doubt I'll make use of anything except the midi2cv8.
Kyhotay
I have a couple of the VCO's & VCF's. I might be interested in the VCA/Mixer or if you had any of the newer modules.

Why don't you get another Frac Rack for your 9700 modules?
Samuron
Kyhotay wrote:
Why don't you get another Frac Rack for your 9700 modules?

Because I'm about at the limit at this point; I also have about 60 units of MU, a small euro setup, and a bunch of digital stuff. My other hobbies let me know they're gonna leave me if I keep this up.
Kyhotay
I am not about to ask you to forsake your other hobbies! I see you are in Mesa. If you ever get to Tucson let me know and I'll show you my setup including the infamous Rack o' Synths!
paults
I'm in Chandler, AZ. We need a local get-together! Guinness ftw!
Samuron
paults wrote:
I'm in Chandler, AZ. We need a local get-together! Guinness ftw!

Cool; I seriously agree.

I'm kicking myself; I just finished up an Electronics Technology degree at MCC. It would have been a perfect place to start a Modular club.
Kyhotay
Chandler...Mesa...Tucson. The Guy down south concedes to the Northern dudes as to choice of venue.
dogoftears
are the jacks board mounted on those? in other words, are they easy to 'nana or not...

also what does sync do on the dual LFO... does it just restart the cycle or actually sync the LFO rate to a division determined by the rate knob?
paults
The jack boards are on soldered right-angle connectors. You can unsolder them, and use discrete wires to other jacks.

SYNC restarts the cycle.
Bassmann
Nice thread!
speak_onion
I know this thread is a bit old, but it's relevant to my interests.

I have a PAiA 9700S that I picked up as a more modular replacement for my fatman, and as with the fatman, I don't really care for the filter. That's fine, I have other filters, but I'm wondering if I can easily switch the 9700 filter out for another frac sized module, specifically a Metalbox Wave Multiplier? I assume at the very least I'll need a different cable to connect the new module to the power supply? Will that work? I'm wondering if that's basically the situation you were in, Samuron, or if you just had the PAiA modules in a Blacet rack already.
Samuron
speak_onion wrote:
I know this thread is a bit old, but it's relevant to my interests.

I have a PAiA 9700S that I picked up as a more modular replacement for my fatman, and as with the fatman, I don't really care for the filter. That's fine, I have other filters, but I'm wondering if I can easily switch the 9700 filter out for another frac sized module, specifically a Metalbox Wave Multiplier? I assume at the very least I'll need a different cable to connect the new module to the power supply? Will that work? I'm wondering if that's basically the situation you were in, Samuron, or if you just had the PAiA modules in a Blacet rack already.

If you have the 15v power supply already, you can just make an adapter cable; you should have plenty of power available.

I was using the older configuration, where everything was powered off of the Midi2CV8 at 18v; I was going to build an 18v to 15v adapter, but then I found a good deal on a Blacet PSU here on the forum, and just sort of transitioned away from PAIA.
speak_onion
Ahh, gotcha. I'm also powering via the Midi2CV8. I don't have much use for the MIDI2CV8, either, so maybe I'll ditch that and the filter to make some more room for modules. Blacet power supply here I come.
Kyhotay
speak_onion wrote:
Ahh, gotcha. I'm also powering via the Midi2CV8. I don't have much use for the MIDI2CV8, either, so maybe I'll ditch that and the filter to make some more room for modules. Blacet power supply here I come.

Just a thought here, since the Blacet PS are now discontinued as a separate unit, PAiA has the 9771-15 Frac Rack PS: http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9771-15 It does take up a space unless you are handy with a drill...

I use it it with PAiA and Blacet/Metalbox et al modules.
Kyhotay
speak_onion wrote:
I don't have much use for the MIDI2CV8...
I would never give up a MIDI/CV regardless of who makes it. There's way too many uses for them.
Tubeampguy
Removed!
dJ dAb
LOL, a year later... I'm finally getting some Synthesis Technology / Blacet modules...

F340 Cloud Generator
F350 Morphing Terrarium
F560 Deflector Shield
rezzn8r
zombie hihi

A friend of mine has the 350 and 360 in his euro rig. I've messed about with them a couple times, and always enjoy the experience.
I have a F340 from the first run. It can sound beautiful, or bizzare.
I'm sure you will enjoy them all.
I have a Dual Morphing LFO coming from this run. hyper I can't wait to try it out.
dJ dAb
I was so close to just getting all 5 modules but heat is nice too lol
SkyWriter
My first Synthesizer was one built out of TV parts and erector sets from a Popular Electronics serialization of the PAiA module schematics. Of course, I needed Op Amps and Transistors, but was wild stuff :-) Looking at EuroRack to rekindle my modular fever.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1