MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?
wmbb
I haven't examined the whole thread but was surprised to see all the kind of heavy metal and other non-electronic stuff that folks were listening to. I like a lot of that myself but wanted to let you guys know, if you don't already, that the most electronic non-electronic music you'll ever hear if by Phillip Glass and Steve Reich (try anything before 1978 first - like Music for 17 Musicians by SR or Einstein of the Beach by PG).

In much of this music the note to note content and the overall structure seem to be determined by the same "processes" Back in the day, in addition to "minimalist" this music was called "process music," "trance music," or even "solid-state." If you don't pay attention or only pay attention to the most obvious "layer" of this music, it may sound repetitive, but if you listen closely and pay attention to its overall structure, it is certainly not only repetitive, it is not at all "minimalist" in any pejorative sense. You will hear something different every time you listen to it.

I can't recommend this stuff strongly enough. I still listen to it all the time
Tombola
Me too! My Random Looping Sequencer was partly inspired by reading 'Music as a gradual process'
Opus110
Can't stand Glass, but I'm a big fan of Steve Reich. Heard New York Counterpoint and the Mallet Quartet in concert last summer and loved both! I have many of his works on my iPod (Music for 18 musicians being played quite often). I do use his music as an inspiration when working with sequences, but without trying to imitate the sound or style in any way.
lessavyfav
I like a lot of Philip Glass in spite of its annoying qualities. Particularly Glass:dance (1-5) I think it's called. Made with Michael Reisman (sp?) The first track on the Einstein on the beach record is the song I use to snooze my kids down on long car rides. They call it the "hypnotize song"

But Stevie R is the one ;-)
odecahedron
i recently started a thread on Reich after dicovering his awesomeness:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80021&highlight=stev e+reich

i never thought id ever find myself wanting a set of marimbas so badly

hihi
Minimoog56
saw Einstein at Entermedia Center and Music for 18 at the Whitney both around 1978 in NYC. Reich > Glass IMHO but I dig both - mostly everything pre-1980. Just before leaving SF for DC I went and saw Music in Changing Parts - all five+ hours at Davies with Glass and his ensemble - great stuff.
Hainbach
Heard the subharmonic ghosts of Steve Reich's Drumming live. Hellhounds, I say!
valis
Yup, minimalism is the shit. Reich, Riley, Glass classic. Check out Nico Muhly for a modern approach.

I'm a big glass fan. I've been listening to fog of war a lot ever since I saw that damn commercial with it in it. Ah glass, so immediately identifiable.
amnesia
I use to listen to PG and Reich in the mid 90s but havent listened to them in ages.
markjamesriver
I do appreciate some Phillip Glass. The most moving work I ever heard of his was the score for The Thin Blue Line. Fits that documentary like a glove.
Pdm1138
Listening to Glass's "Floe" is a religious experience. If you're into minimal, repetitive, loop-based music, listen and take notes.
richard
I think there is really no such genre as minimalism and I find these two composers have nothing in common and actually shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same breath. I really like Music for 18 Musicians and many of Reich's pieces. But I once made the mistake of going to see a Glass opera - seriously one of the most depressing evenings of my life.

The only Glass I really like is Koyaanisqatsi because his sad, hopeless, depressing music fits exactly with the sad, hopeless, depressing imagery of the film, which is an amazing achievement in its way.
senecio
I'm more a fan of the Charlemange Palestine, Tony Conrad, La Monte Young, zone, when it comes to minimal compositions.
mhtones
Glass fan here. thumbs up
xclark
I've always obsessively loved much of Glass' work and when I dove into electronic music a couple years I was surprised to find his influence so pervasive.

I'd even have to say that his music is what drove me to modulars as much as anything else. The fact that you can get polyrhythmic patterns going while you modulate/transpose/etc. reminds me of what I first fell in love with when I heard The Grid from Glass' Koyaanisqaatsi at 13 years old.

If you like synths and Glass and Reich, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you haven't checked out Laurie Piegel, specifically The Expanding Universe, as well as Oneohtrix Point Never's older stuff.

Someone mentioned Nico Muhly, who I discovered hearing his arrangements on Grizzly Bear and Sam Amidon's records. You might be as surprised as I was to find that he is indeed Philip Glass' right-hand man as far as getting his compositions into a DAW to hear/arrange. I've got the good fortune to be seeing him play here on LA on Monday night in a special show at the Griffith Park Planetarium, supporting Sufjan Stevens.
Umcorps
Minimalist virtuosity. we're not worthy

dude
love em both
dude
terry riley john adams etcetc
hydrophilos
Glass and Reich--one can call it minimalism or not but the primary driver is the phasing of musical phrases which was heavily influenced by Terry Riley who gives the nod to La Monte Young as the composer who "discovered" phasing ("tuning is a function of time") And even this hierarchy has been challenged, in court I might add, by Tony Conrad who claims to share that discovery along with the dream syndicate...FWIW
odecahedron
minimalism?

i found everything ive heard (so far) by Reich to be fairly playful/busy, largely what drew me to listen to more

or is this a semantics issue thats flying over my head?
Tombola
odecahedron wrote:
minimalism?

i found everything ive heard (so far) by Reich to be fairly playful/busy, largely what drew me to listen to more

or is this a semantics issue thats flying over my head?

60s NYC minimalism 1 = pulse music = repeating phrases, traditional harmonic structures (ie tunes you can hum) = Glass / Reich / Riley

60s NYC minimalism 2 = drone music = very very long tones, complicated harmonic relationships = La Monte Young & friends.

The word also seems to apply to some kinds of ambient music which are just, like, really quiet.
hollowman
Having not listened to anything by either of these guys, or read the thread, I found Philip glass - Heroes symphony (Bowie) at a charity shop today and scored it for a listen.
Brought me into the thread for a read, and glad of it.
xpander
i vividly remember hearing my brother play "Glassworks" on the stereo one weekend morning when i was in high school, i connected with it immediately. since then i've seen him perform and lecture. i dig Reich, too, but to a lesser extent.

VinceL
Tombola wrote:

60s NYC minimalism 1 = pulse music = repeating phrases, traditional harmonic structures (ie tunes you can hum) = Glass / Reich / Riley

60s NYC minimalism 2 = drone music = very very long tones, complicated harmonic relationships = La Monte Young & friends.

I think you've described the minimalisms well...but I can't agree that the Glass/Reich/Riley stuff is "tunes you can hum." I've never tried to hum Music in 12 Parts. lol
Savage
VinceL wrote:
Tombola wrote:

I think you've described the minimalisms well...but I can't agree that the Glass/Reich/Riley stuff is "tunes you can hum." I've never tried to hum Music in 12 Parts. lol

Oh, sure you can! Just hum, "Doodlie-diddlie, doodlie-diddlie, diddlie-diddlie-diddlie-diddlie, doodlie-diddlie, doodlie-diddlie, diddlie-diddlie-diddlie-diddlie..." hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3