MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sonic Potions LXR Drum Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Sonic Potions LXR Drum Synthesizer
brent
Oh I'm such a sucker for new drum synths. A bit daunted by the fact that it is DIY, but the instructions on the site look pretty clear and there aren't *that* many solders by the looks of it. Doesn't seem to be a release date or price yet.

http://www.sonic-potions.com/

thisoldhouse
Looks and sounds very cool!
markjamesriver
Nice find. I am a sucker for that aliasing/bit reduction sound. This looks like tons of fun.
markjamesriver
FM is bitchin too!
b3nsf
sounds good!!! 8_)
JayEm
brent wrote:
Oh I'm such a sucker for new drum synths. A bit daunted by the fact that it is DIY, but the instructions on the site look pretty clear and there aren't *that* many solders by the looks of it. Doesn't seem to be a release date or price yet.

http://www.sonic-potions.com/

Price on the faq is 280 euro's.
300 bucks for a kit and no enclosure included. As cool as it is, it'd make more sense to buy an electribe.
brent
Hmm, yeah that's a touch expensive, especially for something I'm liable to foul up during the build. But I like the individual outs... nice touch.

• Cortex M4 based
• 6 voices (VA and FM)
• 7 sequencer tracks (extra open HH channel)
• 44kHz / 16 bit audio
• 4 mono outputs
• 4 different instrument engines
• 1/128 step pattern resolution
• USB/Din Midi
• different lengths for each track
• 8 chainable patterns per preset
• Step probability
• SD-Card
• Cowbells!
• 39 buttons
• 6 LFOs routable to every voice parameter
• complete kit. comes with all needed parts for assembly
• No SMD soldering required
• open source
• All! actions possible without stopping the sequencer playback
h4ndcrafted
Sounds great, i'd love one.
MrJenkem
I think it sounds pretty good, and it's nice and small.
cr
this is probably the best demo of a drum machine i have ever seen. love
dan_p
woa, thats great
loderbast
i am having a kit shipped to me from the pioneer run right now nanners
i had the chance to play with it a bit already and even in the current beta state (still minor bugs / features missing) it is great fun to play with and has a great feature set.

@brent: the kit includes a mainboard with all smd stuff already there, so there is not much to mess up in the build.
the front pcb basically consists of a ton of switches, leds and resistors, some shift registers and the like to drive all those, 4 pots, display and a few jacks and opto for the midi in.

its a 2-3 hour build for a medium experienced diyer
loderbast

nanners
b3nsf
loderbast,

what kind of enclosure are you gonna do? I'm curious in this thing!! thumbs up
vasculator
this looks and sounds great! the kit does not look too bad to put together at all. i'll be hard pressed not to get one when it's available.
SpunRaddish
This drum synth sounds REALLY good and capable of a large variety of things, I want a kit! Any news when there will be more available?
loderbast
@h3nsf:

there will be official enclosures like the one in the video probably in half transparent black.
also user fcd72 at mutable instruments forum might be willing to do them with special engraving/ other colors. (maybe just ask him.)

i think i will go for another solution though.

just like this one:http://www.mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/comment/50947# Comment_50947
which was done by MacMoe for his mi ambika.

as word on the street is, that there are unused gpio pins at the drum maschines mainboard, it might be a good idea to have space in the enclosure for trigger outs... (one would have to mod hardware/firmware - i dont think those will be a official feature)

@vasculator&spunraddish:

i think official kits will be available right after the pioneer/bugfixing phase
clusterchord
daaaamn,,, this sounds fantastic.. i am impressed...

cant wait till it passes the bugfixin phase, someone will probably offer to build these like they are for mutable stuff..

first Tanzbar, now this... wow..

i wonder if controls are capable of trasnmitting/receiving MIDI CC... so one can automate these (amazing sounding) edits?
brent
Hah, do you actually get some pop rocks with the kit? hyper Sold to me!
loderbast
@clustercord:

about the cc transmitting/recieving:

a lot of the midi stuff is still quite "beta" in the firmware, but it already recieves all voice parameters.
the most usefukll ones as CC, everything else as NRPN (because there are only 127CCS, but this thing has more parameters..)

i am not sure about sending, though.

there are also 2 tracks for onboard automation in the sequencer that can be recorded live[edit: as seen at 01:10 in the video] or set manually for each step (and can have another destination for each step so that the limitation of only two tracks is not to bad.)
BugBrand
Trigger outs *would* be amazing!
Seems pretty cool.

PS - Price seems fair to me - talk of comparing price of this with electribe is (somewhat, mildly) offensive to the massive labour of love that must have gone into this - there is naturally quite some difference between some small open-source guy/team designing & producing something like this vs. the biggies like Korg. Just saying...
SpunRaddish
^ Couldn't agree more, trigger outs to trigger a modular sequencer would make this the Beezneez.

EDIT:
Actually, with an envelope follower type-circuit, a trigger shouldn't be difficult... though it would be really nice...
controlvoltage
whoa. I have not wanted something this badly in a while.

I have an XBase09 with XRom, this would cover every other missing drum voice in my life pretty nicely.

plus it's so n3rds3xy...
JayEm
BugBrand wrote:
Trigger outs *would* be amazing!
Seems pretty cool.

PS - Price seems fair to me - talk of comparing price of this with electribe is (somewhat, mildly) offensive to the massive labour of love that must have gone into this - there is naturally quite some difference between some small open-source guy/team designing & producing something like this vs. the biggies like Korg. Just saying...

I understand that,and certainly am not trying to quash what they've accomplished, but for what it is, without taking the person behind it into account I believe the electribe comparison stands. That being said, I also doubt this group is out to make big bucks off the kit. I suppose its more frustrating to me that things of this nature aren't more popular which I'm sure would drive the cost down.
Luap
You can buy the boards and source the rest yourself which might be marginally cheaper. But the small price difference won't outweigh the convenience of getting a complete kit in 1 go. You could certainly save a bit by making do without the OLED display and substituting it for a regular LCD though (But once you see an OLED, you wouldn't want anything else)

It uses a lot of parts, and the cost really starts to add up. Unless it was mass produced (and assembled) using surface mount parts instead of old fashioned through hole parts, then it doesn't matter if he makes 3 kits or 3000, the cost would change very little.

If these are still around when i've completed my other DIY projects, then i'll probably get one. It looks good to me thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10