MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My Prof's Modular from 1973 - one of a kind proto doepfer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author My Prof's Modular from 1973 - one of a kind proto doepfer
modularland
You will never see a modular like this again, earthlings!

Built by Peter Elsea in 1973... made from kits, magazine articles, self-designs, and just about everything else. Its not functioning now but Peter will restore it after he retires in June

http://www.modularland.com/public_html/modularland/images/elsea/

Bonus picture of his Emu modular at the end...

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/ems/music/PQE/About_Peter_Elsea.html

One of the last original professors of electronic music!
He was 40 years ahead of his time building something like this! A maker before there were makers!
JohnLRice
Cool! thumbs up
KnobHell
That is awesome. Is he on muffs? If not you should let him know about us. I would love to follow the restoration.
CJ Miller
What a beautiful system! And, if that wasn't enough, possibly the best module names ever! lol
daverj
Looks great. I like the names he gave the modules too.
paults
I'll take 2 Fudgers, please.
jeswa
Absolutely amazing and beautiful to boot. I would stick close to him if I were you.
modularland
I have always been close to him...

To answer: no he isn't on muffs- its probably not his kind of thing given that he interacts with students all day- we'll see if maybe in retirement its his kind of thing- esp the DIY section.

He has some recordings of his modular but yeah I can't wait till its restored.

He is the master of the perf board module to be sure.

But when was the last time you saw a homebrew with emu submodules?!?! crazy!

I am very lucky to have come up through the learning process with one of the original masters.
southphillysynths
those knobs love
KnobHell
modularland wrote:

To answer: no he isn't on muffs- its probably not his kind of thing given that he interacts with students all day- we'll see if maybe in retirement its his kind of thing- esp the DIY section.

I realize we're not worthy of greatness such as his, especially sice he is obviously greater than the collective at muffs.

But it might be worth a mention, you never know when he may crave more followers druling at his god like feet....

we're not worthy

P.s. be careful you don't underestimate some of the participants on muffs

applause
DonKartofflo
two 19.95$ VCOs cracked me up lolspew
CZ Rider
modularland wrote:
But when was the last time you saw a homebrew with emu submodules?!?! crazy!

Nice looking system!
I remember the old Emu "Roll Your Own" ads from the 70's. There were a few manufactures offering kit and sub module options in the 70's. There was Emu, EML, Aries, Tau and a few others that offered DIY boards and modules to help build your own.
frijitz
I love his one-pager "WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR SYNTHESIZER". Couldn't be a better introduction.
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/ems/music/equipment/synthesizers/Synthesizing  /usesynth.html

Ian
fireclown
KnobHell wrote:
modularland wrote:

I realize we're not worthy of greatness such as his, especially sice he is obviously greater than the collective at muffs.

But it might be worth a mention, you never know when he may crave more followers druling at his god like feet....

we're not worthy

P.s. be careful you don't underestimate some of the participants on muffs

applause

i know youre just kidding, but please appreciate the demands that he meets so well in his career. He is one heck of a swell fellow and anyone else would have tossed me out in a heartbeat. In fact I think someone tried. Peter Elsea is the man. Muffs is the best thing on the internets, but some people have been here and done this for decades. cant be that appetizing to look for leftovers when you live breath and eat the real deal all day at work. He is a class act. thats a good place to start learning from him, given the chance.
fireclown
also, does everyone realize the serial number on that emu is as low as you can get? not that they didnt stamp out two #1 emulators back when. damn stupid of me not to pick one of them up when it was in front of me for $85.
Stooopid.
numan7
modularland wrote:
A maker before there were makers!

confused http://www.wavemakers-synth.com ?

cheers
frijitz
The OP, I must say is pretty laughable.

One of a kind? Never see a modular like this again? 40 years ahead of his time building something like this? A maker before there were makers?

In fact, there were hundreds of us making our own synthesizers in the '70s. All one of a kind, and more than a few still working.

lol lol lol meh meh meh

Ian
fireclown
frijitz wrote:

One of a kind? Never see a modular like this again? 40 years ahead of his time building something like this? A maker before there were makers?

In fact, there were hundreds of us making our own synthesizers in the '70s. All one of a kind, and more than a few still working.

lol lol lol meh meh meh

Ian

really having a hard time sourcing your quotes.
how many of us have programmed an RCA?
modularland
Pics of yours or it didn't happen :-)
This was built in 1973! Not 'the 70s'... How many perfboard modulars from 1973 do you think were really built? How many survive? How many of them made by someone who spent the next 40 years teaching people how to do it?

Have some respect for the grey bearded masters...

frijitz wrote:

lol lol lol meh meh meh

Ian
frijitz
modularland wrote:

My website has a photo. You don't want to know what the insides look like.

Quote:
This was built in 1973! Not 'the 70s'...

His writeup says it was completed in 1978. Several of the modules shown didn't exist in 1973, such as the Ares VCO.

Quote:
How many perfboard modulars from 1973 do you think were really built?

Electronotes had around 1000 subscribers. I assume at least 10% did some building. I don't know how many folks subscribed to Polyphony, Elektor, etc., where there were many other building projects.

Quote:
Have some respect for the grey bearded masters...

Same to you! Besides, I was obviously refering to your post, not to him.

Ian
Revok
That breadboard module is a pretty nifty idea.
CZ Rider
modularland wrote:
This was built in 1973! Not 'the 70s'... How many perfboard modulars from 1973 do you think were really built? How many survive?

Total respect for one who made that modular! The module names are great, shows a sense of humor. But the timeline is a little off. I'm sure it was started in 1973, and like any of us, these things take some years to complete. The Aries VCO is no older than 1976, and more likely 1977/78. The Emu sub modules the same. These were not available in 1973. Was more like the later 70's with the Tau, Aries, Emu modules in there. The only module kits available other than just DIY were PAIA. Just plain IC's like the 741 op-amp were expensive in 1973 and were usually in those round can packages.
To be honest by 1975/76 custom synthesizers was all the rage in some circles, with so many artist of the time using custom rigs. And I was playing and customizing back then along with everyone else.
Here is my 1976 original custom Moog 1150 ribbon controller, still works today, as does the 1969 Moog behind it. Many 1967 Moogs had perfboard circuits and still play today.

My rebuilt 1977/78 Aries still works today too.

Many early 1972 era would be synth builders were introduced to the idea of making your own via PAIA. They ran a series of monthly articles in an electronics magizine on how to build the 2700. This was my introduction to DIY.
My circa 1973 PAIA 2700 still works today too. So there might be more of this early DIY around still working today.
modularland
Nice work guys! I was playing an Arp 2600 in the 70s and circuit bending effects, but was not building modulars.

The 1973 date was spoken to me by him obviously much of what was in there is later 70s... but still to start a modular in 1973... very rare...

I am very aware of Paia, Aries (I've owned both), Electronotes, etc etc etc

The perfboard module is also pretty cool at that scale
frijitz
CZ Rider wrote:
modularland wrote:
This was built in 1973! Not 'the 70s'... How many perfboard modulars from 1973 do you think were really built? How many survive?

Total respect for one who made that modular! The module names are great, shows a sense of humor.

Absolutely! And anyone starting a DIY modular in 1973 was definitely at the bleeding edge.

Quote:
Here is my 1976 original custom Moog 1150 ribbon controller, still works today, as does the 1969 Moog behind it.

That ribbon controller is beautiful. I'm working on scratch-built ribbon controllers right now, following on to the Scott Stites Appendage project:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-55720.html
Some problems just never go away!

Quote:
Many early 1972 era would be synth builders were introduced to the idea of making your own via PAIA. They ran a series of monthly articles in an electronics magizine on how to build the 2700. This was my introduction to DIY.

Yep, same here. I bought most of the manuals to study the circuit designs, but I didn't start building until I discovered Electronotes, and decent ICs could be had at a reasonable price.

Since it's due for a tuneup, I just pulled my 36-channel fixed-frequency filter bank out of its rack. An example of a large, working perfboard project surviving from the seventies. The frequencies are set by capacitors connected in parallel, which you can see. Many came from old TV sets. Behind it you can see part of my original DIY panel. On top, two VCAs, and next to them the original ultrasonic Double Deka VCO (black rectangles are the sliders). I was flabbergasted when I was recently given the opportunity to commercialize it and totally amazed to see how popular it has become. Some things just don't go away -- even from the seventies.

Ian
fireclown
I miss the Kludgephone. Back when there wasnt much Emu beyond the Emax and I believe a voltage controlled clock with jitter that was part of the kludgephone had either Emu or Serge roots? Not only did PQE assemble, reassemble and maintain the three studios at the time, he taught half the EMS classes, sometimes more. Gordon Mumma was the other instructor, and the two of them moved a lot of very interested students through there.
I think his real legacy is how many people he gave time and technique to.
An amazing job, well done.
and all this right in the very heart of polyphonic analog synthesizer development history. A very hot spot.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2