Koma Kommander Voltage offset.

Discussion and support for KOMA Elektronik effects pedals, eurorack gear and all the other stuff we do...

Moderators: Kent, osterchrisi

Madchiller
Wiggling with Experience

Koma Kommander Voltage offset.

Post by Madchiller » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey guys,

I just grabbed one of these from Control, and I noticed that it does not output 0 volts. It's has about a .2 to .3 volts when sitting idle. I could hear it as soon as I plugged it in. Is this normal? Can it be trimmed out? I didn't see anyone else mention this.

Thanks guys!

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 am

Have you tried adjusting the trimmers on the back?

Madchiller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Madchiller » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:52 am

I hadn't tried the trims yet as I was hoping someone else might be able to confirm whether this is normal or not.

Thanks guys!

Madchiller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Madchiller » Fri May 03, 2013 2:21 am

Does anyone from Koma actually look at their forum? Wtf?

archerofloaf
Common Wiggler

Post by archerofloaf » Fri May 03, 2013 9:59 am

I'd suggest sending an email to them.

tektoktiktak
Common Wiggler

Post by tektoktiktak » Sat May 04, 2013 3:17 am

Been busy here at our workspace, there has been a sickness wave here in Berlin, which meant we were heavily understaffed and had loads of pedals and modules to build. To be honest I didn't look here for the last 4 days... At this moment I have no definite answer to your question, but I sent it to my collegue and as soon as he is feeling good enough to look at a computerscreen he will post his answer.... He's feeling a bit better now, so I hope that will be soon!

Usually its best to send an email to support@koma-elektronik.com and we will answer as soon as possible!
http://www.koma-elektronik.com

~
~
.---.
`---'=.
| | |
| |='
`---'

osterchrisi
Common Wiggler

Post by osterchrisi » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm

madchiller, sorry for this long delay, I usually check the forum nearly daily as I am the technical wizard behind KOMA Elektronik. I was continously and heavily sick over the past four weeks and also in hospital twice for a few days, so I was totally absent from 99% of all internet activities. Usually, writing here in the forum is a good way to get an answer but also writing an e-mail to support@koma-elektronik.com is a good idea if you feel like you don't get a satisfying answer here.

So anyway, I am back to the living again and here's your answer: Yes, it is normal to have an offset of .2V to 0.3V on the Kommander. It cannot be trimmed out and I assume nobody else mentioned it yet because it doesn't really bother anyone. Since I am not anybody else I can only assume though...

I hope that helps!!

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:52 pm

I need to test this again, but I tried using the kommander to control my eventide timefactor - without much success!

Unfortunately the voltage offset means I cannot calibrate the range (and destination) of CV control. In order to do this you need to set the CV input to maximum, and then to 0V. But the kommander does not go to 0V.

Has anyone else tried this?

I hope I can find a way around this or it will be quite disappointing!

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Plug in through an attenuator maybe?

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:56 pm

scozbor wrote:I need to test this again, but I tried using the kommander to control my eventide timefactor - without much success!
I'd be very, very wary about doing that. The Kommander puts out as much as 8 volts which is way too much for the expression pedal input on the Timefactor.

Safest way to do what you want would be to use a VCA as an impromptu expression pedal and make a Y cable (or use a multiple) to run from the EP jack on the TF. Run the voltage from the EP output through the VCA and control that using the Kommander.

That way you can't fry anything.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Umcorps wrote: I'd be very, very wary about doing that. The Kommander puts out as much as 8 volts which is way too much for the expression pedal input on the Timefactor.

Safest way to do what you want would be to use a VCA as an impromptu expression pedal and make a Y cable (or use a multiple) to run from the EP jack on the TF. Run the voltage from the EP output through the VCA and control that using the Kommander.

That way you can't fry anything.
That's what the trimmers on the back of the kommander are for. So you can specify how much voltage it outputs!

Anyway it was working great. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time. Its a little bit fiddly assigning the cv to different controls.

Will be heaps of fun controlling 2 pedals :)

Return to “KOMA Elektronik”