MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good warmer plugin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Good warmer plugin
astroschnautzer
I'm constantly in need of something that warms up a track, subtle harmonic distortion... any suggestions?
MrDys
Honestly, Guitar Rig.

I get a lot of mileage out of their amp simulations and tube compressor. The trick is to make it subtle. The presents have a habit of taking over the sound, but if you just put one or two components on an FX send, you're good.
polyroy
PSP Vintage Warmer is a really nice plug-in, as is the Waves Kramer Tape thing.
GeneralBigBag
If you're not ilok-averse, Kush UBK-1 or Soundtoys Decapitator.
fac
Check out Voxengo Tube Amp and Boogex. They are free:

http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/

Also free, Camel Audio CamelCrusher:

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

Not free: PSP VintageWarmer (I have version 1.x and it's cool).

As MrDys says, the trick is to make it subtle. It's very easy to overdo it and make it sound bad. Take advantage of the mix control.
tIB
I used this a bit: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/ferrictds-released-toda y-withi-the-kvr-dc09/ Also used the klanghem DC8 which has some saturation settings. Both were recommendations by babaluma I think.
bodo
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/saturn-multi-band-distortion-saturat ion-plug-in Saturn is pretty decent-sounding, GuitarRig used with caution can sound great on synths as well.
Hainbach
Vintage Warmer, Tritone Digital (everything), Airwindows 2-Buss and Vinyl.
minorscience
Really pleased with the Waves Kramer plugins. You don't have to push the compressor to hard to get nice breakup. If money is no object, push the Soundtoys Decapitator through it to get quasi-tunable sideband harmonics.
flts
in my experience, some (many) warmer / overdrive plugins can be really nasty - and not in a good "FUCKING HELL THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL" way but rather "aww, this sounds cheap". i don't know if it's about handling of aliasing in the distortion modelling or what that makes it so hard to get it right.

for example, vintagewarmer (both v1 and v2) tends to be a cool effect if used sparingly on one or two individual tracks but it somehow has a "cheap" sound if you use it on multiple tracks or even master buss. i used to use it extensively until i realized that as a side product of nice subtle saturation there's something that's really "off" in the sound, like the track was run through a crappy chinese made starved plate tube unit instead of an old heavy mixing board. it may be a matter of taste but really not for me anymore. it isn't even about making the effect too obvious / strong, the general effect on sound wasn't just to my liking.

camelcrusher i like a lot for spicing up individual tracks, similar warning applies to it though - easy to get a cumulative crappiness effect if used everywhere. guitar rig is great for individual tracks as well as long as you take it carefully.
rktic
Another vote for Decaptivator and the Variety of Sound plugin range (they're free, but PC only).
Hainbach
flts wrote:
in my experience, some (many) warmer / overdrive plugins can be really nasty - and not in a good "FUCKING HELL THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL" way but rather "aww, this sounds cheap". i don't know if it's about handling of aliasing in the distortion modelling or what that makes it so hard to get it right.

for example, vintagewarmer (both v1 and v2) tends to be a cool effect if used sparingly on one or two individual tracks but it somehow has a "cheap" sound if you use it on multiple tracks or even master buss. i used to use it extensively until i realized that as a side product of nice subtle saturation there's something that's really "off" in the sound, like the track was run through a crappy chinese made starved plate tube unit instead of an old heavy mixing board. it may be a matter of taste but really not for me anymore. it isn't even about making the effect too obvious / strong, the general effect on sound wasn't just to my liking.

camelcrusher i like a lot for spicing up individual tracks, similar warning applies to it though - easy to get a cumulative crappiness effect if used everywhere. guitar rig is great for individual tracks as well as long as you take it carefully.

Sounds like you would like the Airwindows Plugins - subtle but great. Accumulate really well.
thorncore
of all the warming saturation plugs I have tried this Wave Arts 'tube saturator' was most impressive

http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/tube/
jnlkrt
another vote for the Soundtoys Decapitator. if you are using an UAD-2, the Precision Maximizer is also great. Vintage Warmer is good as well, but i mainly use it as a compressor.
stk
Are you on Windows? If so, the Bootsy / Variety of Sound stuff is great, and free.

I also quite like the Waves NLS.

Cheers
polytoxicommander
Liking atm:
Soundtoys Devil Loc-Deluxe
Soundtoys Radiator
Kilohearts Faturator
doctorvague
Nomad factory Magnetic
Scuffham S-Gear amp simulator
PSP Vintagewarmer
DP's Diamond Drive (Sparkle Drive emulator)
astroschnautzer
I'm on mac, no ilok or uad.... thanks for the suggestions, the Wave Arts 'tube saturator' seems to be closest for what I'm after, a bit expensive but if its good its probably worth it, have to dl the demo...
poppinger
astroschnautzer wrote:
I'm on mac, no ilok or uad.... thanks for the suggestions, the Wave Arts 'tube saturator' seems to be closest for what I'm after, a bit expensive but if its good its probably worth it, have to dl the demo...

On Mac check out the Sknote stuff (Grasso and Roundtone mainly) I like Satson for basic subtle warming on everything. Airwindows as good stuff as well (I like their ToTape plug in particular.) All of those are under $50. Personally, I'd prefer a few different flavors to just Tube Saturator which didn't do too much for me when I tried it.

Additionally there's Cyanide 2 which you can do a lot with which is donationware.
haven
I to am on a similar quest. I have found running at 96k dramatically improves the sound of saturation/distortion plugins (and almost every other plugin). I tried some free ones, and have been downloading demos. So far what impresses me the most is Fabfilter Saturn. It is multiband with each band having its own saturation type if you want. You can also modulate everything with fabfilters standard modulators. So far I like it for both subtle and extreme. Can be used a lot more like a channel strip than just a warmer.

here is a very good demo of it
Soy Sos
Will be keeping an eye on this thread and trying out
some of the free and inexpensive mac able plugs.
Thanks!
Babaluma
second the bootsy/variety of sound stuff. pc only, but sounds excellent and all are free.
Soy Sos
Babaluma wrote:
second the bootsy/variety of sound stuff. pc only, but sounds excellent and all are free.

Would love to Babaluma, mac only over here. :-(
Aerond
Soundtoys decapitator has to be my favourite
Soy Sos
I bought the Roundtone and Pressence bundle today.
Need to download tomorrow morning and check them out.
Looks very cool, so I can't wait to hear how they sound.
Lots of good stuff in the free Airwindows plugs too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3