MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ebow Love!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Ebow Love!!!
Babaluma
Any other Ebow lovers on here? I love mine, on electric or acoustic guitar, or bass even. They take a while to get used to, and often seem to get forgotten about and put on the shelf to gather dust, but spend five minutes noodling around again and realise the awesomeness!

I recorded this live jam years ago, then added other effects and Valhalla Shimmer for a nice guitar/ebow/drone workout:

https://soundcloud.com/babaluma/shimmer-bow

Also found another one by searching on here:

www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59425
Vacancy Of Disco
Little known fact, ebow can be used on just about any metal object with a thin edge. Like cymbals or a garbage can. You will need a good microphone to pick it up as it is not as loud as a guitar string
Just me
I have had one since Heet first sold them in the 80's. Great drone device. (I couldn't afford a guitar synth and it filled the gap.)
Babaluma
Cool, yeah I've experimented with it on cymbals before, nice metallic drones! Also did some nice distorted drones with it on bass guitar running through a fuzz face!
stk
As you say, mine has been gathering dust on a shelf for years, but it used to get much love. And will again - I hereby promise to buy it a new battery and get it back into action!

Always wanted to try one of those polyphonic ebow-style pickups. Sustainer or somesuch? That's got to be awesome, right?
DonaldCrunk
Love mine!
Tronman
I've been considering sampling mine so I can play the samples with a keyboard. Chords could be interesting.
wyrtti
I love mine!
I often use my bass as an oscillator into the modular with the help of the ebow. Awesome, living sound!
mmelnick
I use one on 2 songs in my band. I had the original chrome one a long time ago but lost it. Now I have a black one. Love it.
polyslax
Great on piano strings as well. Sold my original back in the 90s but picked up a new one in January.
Demi Jon
If I didn't discover the ebow, I would've stopped playing guitar pretty quickly. I only play guitar with ebow (mind you, I don't play songs, I play 'angry young whale music' as my old flatmate once put it). Miss my mid-90s ebow (black with red LED) -- have the early-2000s grey one with the blue LED and two settings. Never thought it sounded as good.
a100user
Use one with my basses, lots of fun.

Never twigged that it would work with cymbals etc, must try with my singing bowls.
Babaluma
i have the grey one with blue led, but never tried any of the others! love the "harmonic" mode on it.
sduck
I used to have 3 - an original one, and 2 newer variations. Although I liked the idea of them, in actual practice I never used them. I ended up selling them all to fund an early module I think. Haven't missed them.
Vacancy Of Disco
Tronman wrote:
I've been considering sampling mine so I can play the samples with a keyboard. Chords could be interesting.

Just get a moog guitar Rockin' Banana!
Just me
Mine is the Black one with red LED. Still have the box, the velvet bag and yes, even the CASSETTE demo tape with it. I had to solder in a new battery clip a year or so back, but other than that, it has been working fine forever.
twincities
never tried them on cymbals! i'll have to go try that soon.

ebows can be cool but i usually default to using an actual bow when i want sustained guitar sounds. adds a nice additional grit to the sound.
pianoscope
...they can work well on piano.

Savage
I love mine! I always wanted one since the 70's when they were silver. I now have a metal-flake gray one with the blue LED and a dual-position slide switch for "normal" and "harmonic emphasis". An E-Bow and a Big Muff Pi and you're waxing early Robert Fripp all over the place! I like using it on electric guitar that is being processed by a synth. The resulting sound is totally far side of the universe. Only 'unusual' (non-electric guitar) uses I've done with it is using it on a steel guitar, which is very cool. Didn't get much luck with a steel-string acoustic guitar. I really must try some of these other ideas, though. Cymbals?! Never thought of that! I have some Tibetan cymbals that I must give it a try on.
Zon
I do love them, i just wished they made them cheaper. 100 bucks for a magnet has always seemed a bit rediculous.
Savage
Well, an eBow on the Tibetan cymbals I mentioned didn't work since they weren't magnetic. But using an eBow on piano strings gave me an idea to try it on my hammer dulcimer. Wow! Because of the strings angling in opposite directions, I was able to sit the eBow on top of a pair of strings such that they vibrated slightly against the eBow and created a continuous tambour effect that I could play the remainder of the strings over with the hammers. I may have to do something with that! Woo-hoo! Thanks for the idea!

@Zon Yes, they are expensive which is why it took more than thirty years before I got one. There are some cool 'field effect' things that you can do on strings with everything from TV remote controls (that I discovered by accident) to <ahem> 'battery-powered personal massagers' (an idea I got from Reeves Gabrels). But the effect of an eBow on an electric guitar is striking enough to be worth the price. It creates sustain like mad, and the harmonic switch position just drives it mad. And I think they used to be even more than just a hundred dollars! I was thinking they were closer to two hundred back in the late 70's, but I've been through a lot of brain cells since then. Besides, I think I got mine through an Amazon sale for about $60 or $70, I think?

EDIT: Actually, the TV remote control thing has an effect on magnetic pickups, not the strings themselves, just in case you want to try it.
Just me
Wow, I only paid around $70 for mine in the 70's. But that was a LOT of money then. I only paid $220 for my Gibson Bass new then.
chvad
Have one and love it. Use it all the time!
Savage
Just me wrote:
Wow, I only paid around $70 for mine in the 70's. But that was a LOT of money then. I only paid $220 for my Gibson Bass new then.

Yeah, I'm probably just remembering that $70 in the 70's was like $200 now. Like I said, a lot of brain cells under the bridge... I bought a very nice 1964 Tele for $75 in those days (which got stolen in 1981!), and bought a 1973 Rickenbacker 330/12 (yes, a 1973 330/12!) for $400, which I still have. But that was a lot of money to me back in those days.

My wife found the deal on the eBow I now have. She discovered it for sale on Amazon and asked me, "Would you want something called an 'eBow' for <whatever price it was on sale at>?" And I said, "Sure!", without even looking at it because I've always wanted one. It stays out beside of my studio amp all the time and gets used a lot. But like any effect, I make sure it doesn't get used all the time. Champagne ceases to be special when you drink it every day.

EDIT: I just read chvad's post and need to say I meant no disrespect by the "all the time" comment. Others are more than welcome to use whatever works for them as much as they like. This is merely a statement of my mileage.
Minimoog56
me luv too - grey/blue - wish I had a fernandes sustainer in one of my guitars - or even a moog guitar if one came along for the right price...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3