MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

looks pretty but would it work...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author looks pretty but would it work...
tIB
Work is very slow at the minute so Im spending a disproportionate amount of time daydreaming....

Came up with this in rackplanner... Im currently about half bought on a 9U that will become a 12U.

How about this for the 12U... Do I have enough utility? missed any obvious fun stuff? (Ive just discovered the Z8000, that will pronbably go in at the expense of the plague bearer/something else.

Sequenced externally, midi-cv also external in addition to what the flame provides...

Roll on next friday... I need holiday thumbs up
wetterberg
how much of this do you have already?
tIB
I have about half, counting the mfb order Im putting in at the end of October... Its definitely the cheap half though. lol MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I reckon Ill have just under 9U by April, the rest will take at least another year. I dont actually get to play with any of this until next April though as Im 8000 miles away from where Im building it.
wetterberg
ah, my point was : Which modules of these *do* you have? Because I don't want to be like "oh, don't get this or that" when you already have it, that kind of thing.

andreas
Jari Jokinen
You have two mixers (counting QMMG), two multiples and no module capable of inverting. In my same sized system I have much more utility modules. They get used too.

Of course, it depends on what you are going to do. I see you have two A-119:s...
tIB
@ wetterberg; Ive reloaded it with the things I have ticked off... told you it was the cheap half wink

@ jari: Im sure there are loads of useful things Ive missed out... Ive pretty much shoved in anything I find remotely cool SlayerBadger!

I do want to do a bit of external processing as Ill still be using my other gear heavily... My music is pretty experimental and I expect the modular will take it further in that direction. BTW whats the news with the A119's: shit or not?
dkcg
A frequency divider or sequential switch would be nice since it looks like you're after some rhythmic stuff.
tIB
^ cool, thanks dkcg Ill check those out...
dougcl
Top two rows are golden IMO.

One thing to consider is that given a bunch of rhythmic stuff you can derive a smooth cv using a slew and the CV is always in time. Conversely, you can use a comparator (A-167) to go from a smoothly varying cv to timed gates. You can use the A-165 to turn those gates into triggers. You can also use the A-156 for this and get quantization to boot. It's nice to go back and forth between discrete (gates and triggers) to smooth and retain the timing.

So don't forget the Doepfer A-16X series modules.
tIB
^ I was wondering about the 160 and 161... would they still be a need even with the clockwork? Thanks for the tips on the other 2, Ill check those out...

Glad you like the top 2... barring the model 10s that what I hope to have ready for when Im home (along with what I have already of course) w00t
dkcg
tIB wrote:
^ I was wondering about the 160 and 161... would they still be a need even with the clockwork? Thanks for the tips on the other 2, Ill check those out...

Glad you like the top 2... barring the model 10s that what I hope to have ready for when Im home (along with what I have already of course) w00t

Yes because you could do things like having your clockworks outputting a stream of 32nd notes. You could use the original signal to one envelope, for say a hihat sound, and every other trigger to a snare sound, and mix up some logic for some other division and send that to a kick sound and your drum patch won't be kick happy, but will stay in time based on a division of the original 32nd note from the clockworks. Then maybe add fills and stuff with the other channels on the clockworks. Not bad for 4HP eh? And the doepfer divider has reset, my ASys ones don't. waah
I think a must have for any system designed to do rhythmic patch, Two and some logic gates is even better.
tIB
Well since you put it like that I will re-add them then thumbs up

Looks like I might also look at the A165 and A166 which might make it difficult to fit the flame inside (which I would really like to do), or mean I lose out on the plague bearer...

Jari pointed out Im lacking a module to invert, any ideas for something narrow that to do that with would be most welcome... A138? thumbs up
dkcg
tIB wrote:
Jari pointed out Im lacking a module to invert, any ideas for something narrow that to do that with would be most welcome... A138? thumbs up

First one that comes to mind is the Analogue Systems Buffered Mult. It has inverted outputs and mults. Doepfer A133 can invert. Model 14 can invert. I forget the number but there's a bipolar mixer by doepfer that inverts too. ASys buffered mult is the smalles at 6hp, A133 has two channels. and CV inputs which is kinda cool.

I'm sure there has to be a 4HP solution that I don't know.
Blackened Justice
The Asol MX224 is 4hp, it takes 2 inputs, mults them to 6 buffered outputs, 2 of which are inverted.
tIB
^ Sold! lol Thanks for the shouts guys, Ill check those out and see which I fancy.

So, in theory Ive filled 12U... Im going to miss rackplanner hihi

(now comes the part where I totally change direction when I see all those lovely new tiptop/harvestman/makenoise/whoever modules, before finally convincing myself what I really need is another 6U w00t)
tIB
After reading Anselmi's thread and doing a bit more of my own research (and also realising I had forgotten my reverb in the last plan oops) I have added come up with this... though Ive realised once again I dont have an inverter in there.

Main additions are the logic/clock dividing stuff, slew limiter (though not read up on that yet) and the ASR, gone are the multiples which will have to float outside or be housed in a subrack (gah, unitdy- maybe I can fit something in the plan for the diy case...)

Main concerns along with the inverter are that I also dont have enough space for my A150 VCS; how useful would they be in there? I also havent included a preamp which Im advised Ill probably need for the MMF1...

The obvious thing to do would be to move the flame clockwork outside the case, though if possible Id like it to stay inside if and look at where I have too much of something else... perhaps I dont need the A117 and the zorlon cannon? (Having it planned inside also gives me a bit of leeway to bite on the z8000. MY ASS IS BLEEDING)

Feedback always welcome... thumbs up
tIB
so this thread is becomming more of a blog but at least I have a place to store my train of thought...

out go the model 10s, in go envelators... in goes an stg bam for purpose of inverting and diy case grows at leAst another 4hp along on each row, probably more I just need to check some dimensions...

I'm also starting to convince myself once again that I need the cwejman vca4mx... though not yet because I can't bloody afford it!
chimologic
Yes the only thing I see missing is some regular vca that can do both audio and dynamic attenuation of control signals (the doepfer dual vca is not that great for audio).

I have the Cwejman vca4mx and is the module I use the most.

And believe it or not there might be times when you don't want the low pass gate sounds on every single thing you output out of your system that needs a vca ont he final stage. Soapbox
loudone
tIB

just a side note, i wanna do things to my machinedrum that a man should not do with machines.... Lotsa Love

Back on to modulars.
I need to learn about more about the utility modules too.
I would say go easy on all the super awesome stuff, but i know your situation is different thumbs up
so go nanners
U can always trade, sell, what you want for what you decide you may need. And i bet the boutique models come and go so there will always be some one looking for that "wiard/ make noise" module that is out of production or that blah blah blah that was only in production for so long with a certain chip Cat Girl Synth
tIB
loudone I get that feeling all the time.

stillconfused by the VCA situation: could I make do with just the qmmg initially? maybe I could pick a 132-3 and/or Oakley VGA... still with those and the drum99 I could save a bit of hp getting the cwejman... I'd be losing some cash though!

I was going to order the MFB stuff at the end of the month but maybe I should wait until I know what I'm doing...
dkcg
tIB wrote:
loudone I get that feeling all the time.

stillconfused by the VCA situation: could I make do with just the qmmg initially? maybe I could pick a 132-3 and/or Oakley VGA... still with those and the drum99 I could save a bit of hp getting the cwejman... I'd be losing some cash though!

I was going to order the MFB stuff at the end of the month but maybe I should wait until I know what I'm doing...

The QMMG is enough to get you going, but enebtually as your system grows you will need standard VCAs too. Not only for sound, but more for control systems. Like haveing 16th notes only every 4 measures or something like that. That's where a second VCA could come in handy. A cwejman quad VCA and the QMMG would be the ideal sweet setup. But the Doepfer works very well too and would be not a big financial dent. But you get another mixer with teh Cwejman. Stuff to think about...
tIB
having done a bit of maths it seems the cwejman will probably be the way I go, though it will be a little while off as I want to get other stuff in place for April... I think I'll carry on with the plan for the drum99 too as it's pretty cheap and will solve a shorter term problem, ie I'll have a mixer! I can always sell it if the cwejman makes it redundant in the long term.

I have no budget in mind so getting the cwejman will just add to the overall time frame, which isn't really a problem.
wetterberg
tIB wrote:
having done a bit of maths it seems the cwejman will probably be the way I go, though it will be a little while off as I want to get other stuff in place for April... I think I'll carry on with the plan for the drum99 too as it's pretty cheap and will solve a shorter term problem, ie I'll have a mixer! I can always sell it if the cwejman makes it redundant in the long term.
I'd MUCH rather have a drum-99, a-132-3 and a QMMG than just the Cwejman.
tIB
^ well I'd have the qmmg, drum99, cwejman and there's a vca in the BAM... the A132-3 is what would make way for it.
wetterberg
tIB wrote:
^ well I'd have the qmmg, drum99, cwejman and there's a vca in the BAM... the A132-3 is what would make way for it.
eh?

there's vcas in the Cwejman, not in the BAM. If you're getting the qmmg, drum99 AND the cwejman, then that's THREE mixers and REALLY expensive. I guess I didn't get you right, I thought you were looking to reduce redundancy and price.

Sorry. seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2