MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Considering a five module 300 system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Considering a five module 300 system
Babaluma
5 will fit in a regular 19" rack, right?

classic vco
borg filters
dual envelator
dual mixolator
sequantizer

will go for the bantam jacks, and probably buy them slowly in that order, powered by a single blacet ps550.

will 99% of the time be used for acid lines, trippy self-evolving stereo drones, and percussion synthesis.

not interested in woggle bug or waveform city (which is good as WC not available any more, right?), and not interested in more than one row.

sound like a good system? what else will i need? will each 300 module come with a lead to plug straight into the blacet ps550? how come there's no standard pink/white noise? (guess i would have to feed in pink noise from somewhere else for percussion synthesis).

just thinking out loud really, all tips from current users much appreciated. do wish the old 300 dual boogie was still available, way prefer that to the borgs...
chamomileshark
hi, it's 6 modules into a frame in a 19 inch rack.

yes, it sounds like a good system.

the modules come with a plug connector (din type thing) that goes into a socket in the back of the module - the other end is the blacet style connector. That's how they were anyway. Cary will be able to tell you if they've changed.

re the noise - I think Grant said somewhere he was less keen on having a dumb noise source. The random gets you a kind of noise (I've just been using it to create the sound of geiger counters).

You have a noise ring. yes? I tend to use that rather than the Blacet ID.

re the dual Boogie - don't feel bad - I think only two were made, Gary Chang had one and Muff the other (I think).

If you were thinking about another module to make the six - maybe another Classic - then you can do dynamic depth linear FM. Or maybe another Envelator.
slow_riot
Borg 1 in W300 is different to the Frac Borgs... you might feel more inspired from using it.... I like both for different reasons.

+1 on additional Classic VCO. The VCOs SHINE doing linear FM, and the VCOs on the Borg can jump around in pitch as things in the module change.

Also perhaps worth keeping an ear out for an Omni Filter.

You can't go wrong with anything really. If starting slow maybe it's a good opportunity to assess your needs by starting with definites and moving from there.

Best synthesizer system on the planet IMO.
Babaluma
thanks for the great info guys!

ok, 6 is great, i could add a second classic vco right at the end, wopuld have a better idea of things by then.

so i'd also need a 19" rack frame, who sells those?

no modular whatsoever, haven't played/used one in about 2 years, so would have to feed it digital pink noise from an external source.

no idea what the omni filter is like, again not made any more...

yeah, i would start slow and build slow, just 1 vco and ps550 to start with.

agree seems like the best system out there, definitely been calling me strongly for about 14 years now, and would definitely rather go with 300 than buchla or serge etc.

thanks again!
chamomileshark
hi, I think Graham Hinton sells frames now - agasin Cary can tell you.

I think I got one of the final pair of Omni's made. It's now my go to filter. Before that my usage was something like 1st Boogie, 2nd Borg 1 and 3rd Frac Borg2 - that may give you an idea of what sort of filters I favour.

The Omni has additionally the all pass mode, CV control over mode (I often use the sequantizer to dial up the modes I want), CV of resonance, 24db and 12 db out simultaneously and phase inverted outs.

I tend to think of the 300 Borg differently to the Frac Borg2 - of course with the Borg 1 you have alot of flexibility to create 24 db LP, BP and HP filters by ganging them together but there is something else that makes me use it more than the Borg2 - it maybe the location of the module but then as it's next to the Boogie.
thesnow
I'm glad Grant didn't incorporate a typical/obvious noise source. Use your imagination. Wiard
Babaluma
i dunno, i always found a pink or white noise source to be pretty necessary for accurate percussion synthesis. but as the 300 series was orignally designed as an "add on" for an arp 2600, i think i can forgive the omission, and feed it something digital from the pc. smile

thinking first module down should probably be the borg instead of the vco then, for processing external signals with its filters and lfos, what say you lot?
carygrace
Babaluma wrote:

so i'd also need a 19" rack frame, who sells those?

Hinton Instruments makes Wiard frames.

Babaluma wrote:

yeah, i would start slow and build slow, just 1 vco and ps550 to start with.

I would concur that the Classic VCO is the best way to start. And, eventually, planning to have two would make the system a lot more flexible. In addition to the VCO you also get an AR envelope and a VCA, so you can plug in a sequencer or keyboard and make music with just the one module (if you have something that puts out CV and gate).
Babaluma
Thanks for the input Carey!
eef
If you can get a WFC from somewhere, do it. Otherwise I agree with the plan.
revmutt
yeah, looks good. I think the #6 should be either a second VCO or a Wogglebug if you are looking for additional voltage sources, modulation and general Woggle. With option 2 that would actually be what my first tier was in my system.

I personally wouldn't do bantam just because I'd want the option of interfacing with the outside world. Obviously you could have a converter panel if you decided to add something from Malekko.
slow_riot
i use adapter cables with the ring tied to sleeve at the unbalanced end built by Hinton Instruments. Works perfectly... only one problem I had with this configuration was the Make Noise Echophon clock in.
Babaluma
eef wrote:

zero interest in the WFC, as i already stated. had a blacet/wiard miniwave as part of a 24u frac modular for 4 or 5 years, and never really liked it. not really into the crunchy 8 bit digital sounds, or even the advanced MARF and quantising functions. much rather have a second vco.
Babaluma
revmutt wrote:
I personally wouldn't do bantam just because I'd want the option of interfacing with the outside world. Obviously you could have a converter panel if you decided to add something from Malekko.

thanks for all the input! it will only ever be one row, and i will do all the interfacing with custom balanced XLR cables to/from external sources and the crookwood mastering console/converters.

not really interested in the woggle bug at all, bug music and bacon frying are out. although i guess it could be used very subtly to add slowly changing movement to drones? never really got into the noise ring, or the short time i spent with the euro woggle bug (and yes, i know they're different beasts).

malekko is definitely out, no jonesing whatsoever for a euro system.
slow_riot
woggle is essential for me.

eg LFO out to AR = nice triangle LFO giving envelator freedom for more 'difficult' shapes. Smooth and Woggle CV move in time with this.

Woggle and envelator are crucial for really organic subtle rhythm. e.g. LFO out to gate, envelator in repeat mode, gate from envelator clocks stepped voltage, and stepped voltage feeds Amod or Dmod. You've heard this in one of my tracks.

in a 12 module system I use 2 (=4 total) and they're always busy. only one generally does wierder stuff.
slow_riot
but having said that considering your needs it is hard to fit the Woggle in.

I would definitely try to get 2 VCOs in for dynamic depth linear FM. If you add a touch of the modulation oscillator in you can get a really big sound.
eef
Babaluma wrote:
eef wrote:

zero interest in the WFC, as i already stated. had a blacet/wiard miniwave as part of a 24u frac modular for 4 or 5 years, and never really liked it. not really into the crunchy 8 bit digital sounds, or even the advanced MARF and quantising functions. much rather have a second vco.

Far be it from me to get you excited about a discontinued module, but I have to say you can get a lot more than 8 bit crunch from a WFC. Seems like Babaluma knows what Babaluma wants, which is a good thing. It's motherfucking bacon yo
Babaluma
cheers dude, sounds like i'm set for starters, can always change my mind as i go along, but for now think will start with vco, then borg filters!
flts
i have kind of similar plans (already have a waveform city, starting to expand from there), but i'm starting to consider wogglebug an essential part of whatever setup i end up with.

thing is, i don't do too much of the purely bug / noise / stochastic variety of music - do love to listen to some of that - but i have one of the diy single wogglebugs in my current euro system, and i've found it superb for adding just a tiny bit of life and movement to quite a few parameters. i rarely use the audio coming out of it (well, except for raw material for percussion sounds) but the module always ends up modulating something to some degree in most patches i make. i can only imagine the awesomeness of having two similar units...

for classic bass/lead-type patches it may not be that useful, but for generating a ton of cool percussion sounds quickly and for those evolving drones i would consider it to be a huge advantage. sounds like you have a good idea of what you want and what the modules do though, this is just my 5c on the subject.
Babaluma
thanks, i guess i can decide if/when i have 5 modules, what the final one will be! should have a better idea of it all then...
flts
Babaluma wrote:
thanks, i guess i can decide if/when i have 5 modules, what the final one will be! should have a better idea of it all then...

that's my plan as well, i have 4 or 5 modules i'm _sure_ i want, the last one will be decided if i feel i need to expand to full rack after that.
jamb
babaluma getting back into it! sounds like it'll be a killer system. i'd like to have those same 5-6 modules together at some point.
flts
waveform city
classic vco
borg filters
dual envelator
wogglebug

how does that sound for a 5 module system? hihi
Babaluma
fine if you remove the waveform city and wogglebug, haha! lol

is that your system? how is it?
flts
i only have a waveform city and the power supply now, but just put in a deposit for the remaining four.

i knew i definitely want the classic vco + borg filters + envelator, and since some extra money surfaced from spring cleaning sales, i just added the wogglebug to the order... thing is, i sold my diy eurorack woggle a few days ago and immediately started missing it so i knew the fifth must-have module had to be the 300 wogglebug lol

i _think_ the final module in the rack will eventually be a mixolator because one can never have too many (super) vcas and i could see myself using a separate unit for sequencing & quantization duties, but we'll see after the system arrives some time this summer and i have a chance to play with it.
Babaluma
i'm jealous! i will hopefully put an order in for the vco or dual borg before the summer.
flts
yeah... i've basically sold everything from my home studio that i don't use daily / regularly and used that to fund a little upgrade to the basic setup plus the wiard order. hopefully that'll keep me focused for a while, still need to get some kind of nice cv/gate sequencer (almost decided against getting a sequantizer already, would love to have a cirklon but that's $$$ i don't have) and i'll be set. i have pretty much a middle class income right now so otherwise i could probably have been able to afford to buy a similar setup during a year or a bit more.

have my 30th birthday coming in the summer so i thought i'd selfishly treat myself to a big present lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 2