MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new frac module- barton dual quantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author new frac module- barton dual quantizer
synthcube
we are bringing out the full line of michael barton circuits in frac format, and the first release is the barton dual quantizer-

from michael's build doc:
"The purpose of this circuit is to quantize control voltages to a musical mode for use with an oscillator using the 1v/oct standard.
Potentiometer R1 (marked B100k on the board) forms a voltage divider which creates a voltage which when inputted to pin 7 of IC1 selects a musical mode to be quantized to. The input is compared to all
acceptable voltages in that musical mode and the closest match is outputted to the chip's PWM (pulse width modulator). A 20khz pulse is then outputted to pin 5 with a pulse width corresponding to the desired output voltage. This pulse is then filtered by R2 and C7, and then buffered by IC2 and then outputted through the pad marked “OUT.”

The musical mode which the voltage is quantized to is selected by the position of the mode select potentiometer. There are two banks of musical modes available on each chip. When pin 4 of IC1
is connected to +5v the "standard" bank is selected, when connected to ground, the "octave" bank is selected.

hopefully a useful addition to some frac systems
Tubeampguy
Oh I want one of those, too!
synthcube
We thought you might smile
monstrinho
Excellent!! Yes, please!!
Rob_C
Help a noob out. Having not worked with a quantitizer before, I could use a bit more of an explanation. Am I correct in assuming that an analog sequencer voltage output fed into a quantitizer will produce notes that correspond to a musical scale? In other words, the quantitizer can "correct" an incoming voltage (that may produce an atonal VCO pitch) to the nearest standard scale note?

What is a "standard" bank vs "octave" bank, and what is the functionality of the front pot?
werock
Rob_C wrote:
Help a noob out. Having not worked with a quantitizer before, I could use a bit more of an explanation. Am I correct in assuming that an analog sequencer voltage output fed into a quantitizer will produce notes that correspond to a musical scale? In other words, the quantitizer can "correct" an incoming voltage (that may produce an atonal VCO pitch) to the nearest standard scale note?

What is a "standard" bank vs "octave" bank, and what is the functionality of the front pot?

That's exactly what a Quantiser does. I think the pot selects different scales to quantise too.
monstrinho
Rob_C wrote:

You've got it exactly right as far as the way a quantizer works goes. The knob is used to select which scale the module will quantize to. The differences between standard and octave are as follows:

STANDARD BANK
1.Bypass - Inputted voltage is outputted
2.Major - Root, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
3.Minor - Root, 2nd, flat 3rd, 4th, 5th, flat 6th, flat 7th
4.Major Pentatonic - Root, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th
5.Minor Pentatonic - Root, flat 3rd, 4th, 5th, flat 7th
6.Blues Scale Root, flat 3rd, 4th, flat 5th, 5th, flat 7th
7.Whole Tone - Root, 2nd, 3rd, flat 5th, flat 6th, flat 7th
8.Chromatic - All 12 notes

OCTAVE BANK
2.Octave - Root
3.Octave and Fifth - Root, 5th
4.Octave and Flat Fifth - Root, flat 5th
5.Major Arppegio - Root, 3rd, 5th
6.Minor Arppegio - Root, flat 3rd, 5th
7.Dominant Arppegio - Root, 3rd, 5th, flat 7th
8.Chromatic

There is a build thread for the Euro version here.
Norman_Phay
I sent a "notify me" email via the little box on the site for this.

If you used the same font as for "synthcube" for the name/title of the module on yr panels, that would look really nice.
Rob_C
Thanks for the info. The link to the Euro thread was quite helpful as there is a video demo.

Quite a handy module.
alesauskas
Nice to see the option of picking it up in banana jack too, thanks for this!
Rob_C
Purchased two of the PCB/chip sets.

On the first build, stupid here accidently swapped the PIC chip and the LM358, then powered it up and scratched his head trying to figure it out. When the chips were put in the right place, the darn thing still worked.

Second build went fine.

Hook it up to your VCO, feed the quant with a variable voltage source, like from a pot, an LFO or an AR, and listen to the discrete notes produced. As a control voltage modifier, it's a lot of functionality and an easy build. Thanks Mr. Barton.
synthcube
Congrats on the build... It's a great little module!
Enjoy...
Post some demos if you have the chance
bernd.wender
I built the 5U version (MOTM style) yesterday.
The build was pretty easy using the synthcube kit.
Wiring was a little bit tricky. The documentation at the barton site is based on a slightly older version of the PCB, but obviously there haven't been too man changes. A wiring diagram would have been helpful. I built basically two independent modules with two separate power plugs, sharing a common front panel. Tested with a signal coming out of an MOTM ADSR. Nice little circuit, I have to figure out yet how it can be employed in a 'musical' way.

dJ dAb
Currently building four that I'm going to mount in a Frac Rak panel. Can't wait to put' em to use!

synthcube
Nice!
toneburst
Silly question, but… does this have to be used in conjunction with a transposer, to get different scales? What's the root note of the scales it outputs? i.e., set to Major, what actual notes would it output?

a|x
synthcube
thought that copying this description from michael's site might help smile

The purpose of this circuit is to quantize control voltages to a musical mode for use with an
oscillator using the 1v/oct standard.
The incoming control voltage is routed through the pad marked “IN” to IC1 on pin 6.
Potentiometer R1 (marked B100k on the board) forms a voltage divider which creates a voltage which
when inputted to pin 7 of IC1 selects a musical mode to be quantized to. The input is compared to all
acceptable voltages in that musical mode and the closest match is outputted to the chip's PWM (pulse
width modulator). A 20khz pulse is then outputted to pin 5 with a pulse width corresponding to the
desired output voltage. This pulse is then filtered by R2 and C7, and then buffered by IC2 and then
outputted through the pad marked “OUT.â€ÂÂ
IC1 and it's accompanying circuitry has a separate ground from the other components which is
connected on the pad labeled “GND” on the board. Power for these parts is supplied either by either
an external +5Vdc supply attached to the pad labeled “+5V” on the board or from an on board 7805
voltage regulator (use one or the other, do not install the 7805 if using an external +5v supply). If
building multiples of this circuit you may use one on board 7805, then use the “+5V” pad to supply this
voltage to another board. C1, C2, C5 and C6 provide power supply filtering and decoupling for this
circuitry. C3, C4 and the 20mhz Crystal provides a timing pulse for IC1.
IC2 and it's accompanying circuitry is grounded through the pad labeled “AGND.† V+ for this
section should be applied to the pad labeled “+15v.† +15v is non-critical, the circuit has been tested
at voltages as low as +9v with no noticeable differences. C9 and C8 provide power supply filtering
and decoupling for this circuitry.
The musical mode which the voltage is quantized to is selected by the position of the mode
select potentiometer. There are two banks of musical modes available on each chip. When pin 4 of IC1
is connected to +5v the "standard" bank is selected, when connected to ground, the "octave" bank is
selected.
STANDARD BANK
2.Major - Root, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
3.Minor - Root, 2nd, flat 3rd, 4th, 5th, flat 6th, flat 7th
4.Major Pentatonic - Root, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th
5.Minor Pentatonic - Root, flat 3rd, 4th, 5th, flat 7th
6.Blues Scale Root, flat 3rd, 4th, flat 5th, 5th, flat 7th
7.Whole Tone - Root, 2nd, 3rd, flat 5th, flat 6th, flat 7th
8.Chromatic - All 12 notes
OCTAVE BANK
2.Octave - Root
3.Octave and Fifth - Root, 5th
4.Octave and Flat Fifth - Root, flat 5th5.Major Arppegio - Root, 3rd, 5th
6.Minor Arppegio - Root, flat 3rd, 5th
7.Dominant Arppegio - Root, 3rd, 5th, flat 7th
8.Chromatic
rezzn8r
toneburst wrote:
Silly question, but… does this have to be used in conjunction with a transposer, to get different scales? What's the root note of the scales it outputs? i.e., set to Major, what actual notes would it output?

a|x

The root note will be whatever note you tune your VCO to before applying quantized control voltage to the VCO's 1 V/Oct input.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1