MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tools of the trade
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Tools of the trade
Kwote
[ADMIN EDIT: THIS BLOG IS DEAD. check bf's post below for details]

new blog:

http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com/2008/04/tools-of-trade.html

had to do it. for all us newbs out there especially. lol
zerosum
grin
J.w.M.
It's all about the ducks in the pool.
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
It's all about the ducks in the pool.

oh fo sho mane.
Kwote
forgot i already linked up the tools list before so it's stickied from now on.

i can always take the list and paste it in here so no one has to be distracted by my own personal blah blah. lemme know.
shamann
Handy, thanks.
decaying.sine
I acquired a craft light for free. I was having a heck of a time identifying resistors since I was doing it in a poorly lighted basement. Getting the nice lamp works wonders and really improves my speed in identifying and stuffing components. This is the one I landed.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fa076 9
jfm3
OMFG Lead Benders!

Best hunk of plastic I ever owned.
Kwote
Just a fair warning to everyone that's come to depend on or yet to discover the initial post that made this blog what it was,

I'm going to dead my entire blog within the next week or so.

For anyone that would like to take the content of my initial blog post that's been stickied here send me a PM or email to kwotemusic at kwotemusic dot com and let me know your intentions. Should be all good. For everyone else who simply wants to copy it for their own private use that's cool too. And of course if someone wants to go to the trouble of moving all the content to this sticky that'd be awesome too. However you'll have to do it SOON.

Beers Guinness ftw!
Luka
maybe duplicate blog post to this thread kwote
bf
KwoteMusic.blogspot.com wrote:
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Tools Of The Trade
Here's a list of must have tools for DIY modular building courtesy of the homie Hans:

Items purchased from http://www.mouser.com/

5166-801 Lead Benders $2.94
DP-100 OK Industries Desoldering Tools High Vac Desold Pmp $20.80
5876-103S DES Tools WIRE STRIPPER W/SPR $8.04
GA54-J Xcelite Cutters ANG BLD FLUSH CUTR $24.69
NN54 Xcelite Pliers 5" SLIM NDL NOSE $17.780
PTA7 Weller Soldering Accessories .06" SCRDR TIP $6.26
24-6337-6401 (1 LB) Kester Solder 63/37 .020 1#SPL $20.79
24-6337-8800 (1 LB) Kester Solder 63/37 .031 1#SPL $14.07

Don't forget a Weller WTCPT(got mine at Fry's for cheap), a digital multimeter, a magnifying glass(atleast 2x), some calipers, a bright halogen desk lamp, a fan for blowing solder fumes away from your face and a toothbrush for washing the boards.

Pictures of most of the items listed are below:
bf
more pretty pictures
bf
KwoteMusic.blogspot.com wrote:
And now..... some ducks in a pool.

Consumed wrote:
nice ducks. looks like you're set up to fly south!

make sure you keep the sponge wet while you're soldering. if it starts to dry up and you wipe your tip, you'll burn it and it will stink. just an suggestion, YMMV.

oh yeah, one more thing: dont keep your iron on the pads for too long with single sided boards (like CGS), or your pad might 'lift' (get disconnected). try to keep your 'dwell time' around 3-4 seconds. you can guarantee short dwell times by putting a little dab of solder on the tip before you touch it to the intersection of the board and part (the heat flows really fast through the solder on the iron so you can get in and get out quick).

gl, hf!

one more thing: when the iron is in your hand, give it your complete attention, and you will not burn yourself.
April 11, 2008 7:29 AM
Kwote
bf you're a true pimp! Thanks for lookin out for all the diy wigglers.

Beers to you Guinness ftw!

8_)
bf
Thank you Kwote. That page has been a help to me on more than one occasion.
Neutron7
Anyone know a nice nut driver set that has sizes for all pots, jacks, switches etc? all the ones i can find, the nut driver is not deep enough to go over some switches or pot shafts.
daverj
I have a really old nutdriver set made by AIM where the shafts have a deep hollow area, which allows switch handles to go in. I don't know if the company still exists or if they still make them with the hollow parts.

For large pots I went to a car parts store and bought some deep well sockets (fit regular ratchet handles). The only problem is being careful not to tighten the nuts too tight since a ratchet handle can put a lot of pressure on the socket. I hold the handle right at the head to keep me from applying too much pressure. Those were for large pots and nuts. I don't know if the deep well sockets come small enough for some of the smaller pots being used on Euro.
Neutron7
Thank you, I had a look at the sockets I have and a couple of them would work, I just like to keep my metal/wood etc tools in the basement and my electronics tools in the electronics room, otherwise the thing i want is invariably in the wrong place smile

I Found a 1/4 screwdriver type handle, I will see if i can get individual sockets.
emergencyofstate
Kwote wrote:
new blog:

http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com/2008/04/tools-of-trade.html

had to do it. for all us newbs out there especially. lol

It's telling me it's not the blog i'm looking for. Boba Fett Chewbacca R2D2 Darth Vader
daverj
Please note: Kwote started that blog 7 years ago. Two years later, in a post half a page up from this post he said:

Kwote wrote:
Just a fair warning to everyone that's come to depend on or yet to discover the initial post that made this blog what it was,

I'm going to dead my entire blog within the next week or so.
Amer1231
so is there anything similar to what the blog had as information?
groove
another handy tool from another trade:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080502231304/http://kwotemusic.blogspot.c om/2008/04/tools-of-trade.html
kyleg500
A good soldering iron makes a huge difference. I've been very happy with my hakko 888D
GhostlyMostly
Could any of you lovely specimens recommend a decent multimeter?
I don't need to work for NASA quite yet but something nice that won't hurt my pocket (or make holes in my euro case hihi )

Thanks for the love thumbs up
tarandfeathers
GhostlyMostly wrote:
Could any of you lovely specimens recommend a decent multimeter?
I don't need to work for NASA quite yet but something nice that won't hurt my pocket (or make holes in my euro case :hihi: )

Thanks for the love :tu:

The Brymen BM257 (also available as the GreenLee DM-510A) is good value and very well made, I think they're very cheap for what you're getting.

If you really have no budget you could get a used Fluke 25 or 27 which can be had for next to nothing. They're outdated now and compared to the Brymen are missing frequency and capacitance measurements, and they are not true RMS, but they are extremely rugged and extremely cheap, a good meter to have a couple of kicking around.

Also the Brymen is 6000 count vs the Flukes 3200 count so you get a bit more resolution for certain measurements.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2