MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I'm Buchling about it....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I'm Buchling about it....
Mr White
I feared so much the moment I would have started to write here but I dont know a better place to ask such a question:

can I start a system with only these modules?

261e
227e
281e
292e
225e

201e 4u
201e 4

all is about 6600$, quite a bit but I can at least think on that...

or please, can you suggest me the most compact starting point to begin with?
..that can at least make sounds! hihi

Andrea
xart
Mr White (Mr Yellow) wrote:
I feared so much the moment I would have started to write here but I dont know a better place to ask such a question:

can I start a system with only these modules?

261e
227e
281e
292e
225e

201e 4u
201e 4

all is about 6600$, quite a bit but I can at least think on that...

or please, can you suggest me the most compact starting point to begin with?
..that can at least make sounds! hihi

Andrea

Ditch the 227e and go with the 207e + 291e. End of game! w00t
IMO the 227e does not sound (as good) as the 206e/207e series. The 227e uses vactrols (I don't like them in the 227e) and the 206e/207e use solid state high linearity multipliers. Fukc'in Hi Fi Bongo's! thumbs up
ndkent
Yes you can start with those. Nothing missing you have to have. Actually the 227e is the sort of module that's more ideal in a bigger system. That's sort of why the 207e came out. Not that you can't do something with it but you would probably have more sonic potential if you say connected the 292e to a regular mixer and had two other modules fill the 227e's space.

If it's something smaller you want then skip the 227e for now, get the other 4 and a 4 module rack
felix
I'm thinking about something like this as a starting point for myself:

xart
With the compact system I am working on now, I do not use MIDI - I dumped the 225e for the 250e + Eardrill Pendulum/Ratchet BUT if I were to get a small system without a 250e I would get the 225e *for sure* so I could use MAX or a hardware midibox like the genoqs stuff!
Mr White
I'm just explorig the potential of Buchla with this little system, that's my feticist arrival point, nothing beyond Buchla...

ndkent wrote:

If it's something smaller you want then skip the 227e for now, get the other 4 and a 4 module rack

for sure I will expand a little in the future but then you say that with these 4 modules:
261e
281e
292e
225e
I can make som noise? just with this starting point?
sorry for the noob questions, I'm new to Buchla concept, but slowly I'm starting to undestand things and I think they're truly exciting...
Mr White
felix wrote:

you can use the 256 for a sort of LFO or something?
ndkent
Felix's quad voltage processor seems a bit much for a small system right away, again not that it's useless but say a second 281e or a 291e might get you more immediate use.

The 206e 207e vactrol comment makes little sense in context since those modules have very limited voltage control versus the serious voltage control mixing on the 227e's 4 main channels as well as the cool eq/spectral tilt function as well as a more limited submixer type unit.

The point of not needing it on a small system is aside from the automatic quad spinning you have 4 channels with voltage control and not much left to control them with or generate signals to pipe into them. I could see it on a small-ish system for someone really big into external sound though. Still you'd need some CV sources to get the most out of it.

I happen to really like 227e's sound by the way. If you are going to pay a lot of money then why not get something that sounds special... unless you have a little boat or a second cabinet with one already.
xart

Its MORE than just a starting point! You have a full-on BongoBox! Your system looks good! w00t
Mr White
so you are saying that I can start to melt my ass with less than 5K$?
that's scary....
really..

xart wrote:

Its MORE than just a starting point! You have a full-on BongoBox! Your system looks good! w00t

I dont figure out at all what kind of sounds such a system can do..
really!
xart
ndkent wrote:
The 206e 207e vactrol comment makes little sense in context since those modules have very limited voltage control versus the serious voltage control on the 227e's

I will challenge this with my user experience. The calibration of the 227e's I have played with / used (3 of them) were all over the place. (due to the vactrols). With the 206e, I use now . . .its always calibrated, always spot on and LOUD.

I think SCIENCE has my specific hand written notes / findings on this . . .

Do other 227e users find the mixer channels to each sound and behave differently? seriously, i just don't get it
science
xart wrote:
I think SCIENCE has my specific hand written notes / findings on this . . .

hihi

Quote:

Do other 227e users find the mixer channels to each sound and behave differently? seriously, i just don't get it

Yes.

Did you get my e-mail the other night RE: Moisturizer PS?
xpander
felix wrote:

(image)

that is an outstanding selection. i wouldn't change it. as you know, i dig cv processing.
dougcl
Uh oh, it's happening again... razz

Are you using Rack Planner? PM me if you need help.

How about these ideas? In each case I think the filter and/or SOU is optional if these seem too big.

Mr White
what kind of workflow with this system?

I mean, what kind of connections to have what kind of sounds? (for example..)
hmmm.....

try to understand what I mean, sometimes it's so hard to explain myself! razz

and:
261e or 259e?

ps:

Quote:
Uh oh, it's happening again...

Are you using Rack Planner? PM me if you need help.

for sure I will dougcl!
science
U PLOG TAH CABOLZ IN AND MAEK SOUNDS SUMTIMS U PRAS A BUTTAN OR TURN NOBS
Mr White
science wrote:
U PLOG TAH CABOLZ IN AND MAEK SOUNDS SUMTIMS U PRAS A BUTTAN OR TURN NOBS

always this scary!?

hope is not! smile

with 9U of euro this Buchla will fall like an hummer on my shoulder...
dougcl
xpander wrote:

that is an outstanding selection. i wouldn't change it. as you know, i dig cv processing.

Yeah me too. I am completely sucked in by that 256e.
xpander
xart wrote:

i find the main channel volume knobs have a non-linear response which i understand has to do with the use of vactrols. that's about it, nothing to make me want to ditch it.

however, the choice to put additional 1/8" Main Out jacks on the front panel of the 227e that are visually identical to the Tini-Jax found everywhere else in the system has already cost me a future jack repair.
science
xpander wrote:
however, the choice to put additional 1/8" Main Out jacks on the front panel of the 227e that are visually identical to the Tini-Jax found everywhere else in the system has already cost me a future jack repair.

I haven't used anything besides the main outs on the rear of my system, and there isn't any mention of this in the "manual". Which jacks are they? All of the main outs?
xpander
science wrote:
xpander wrote:

I haven't used anything besides the main outs on the rear of my system, and there isn't any mention of this in the "manual". Which jacks are they? All of the main outs?

it is in the manual- beware!

the Main Outputs on the 227e front panel are 1/8". plugging a standard Buchla Tini-Jax cord into them can destroy them.
science
I guess I didn't really read the manual lol

Ahh well, I haven't used them anyway. Now I know.
science
what kind of workflow with this system?

I mean, what kind of connections to have what kind of sounds? (for example..)
hmmm.....

Are you asking how to use the system?

Plug the output of an oscillator into the input of a 227e. Turn the volume up. You will hear an oscillator.
hmmm.....

Quote:

and:
261e or 259e?

Nobody but you can answer that for you.
xpander
i've thought about putting together a little "read-me first" page for new Buchla users. that would be the first one. the second part would be a more elaborate description of restoring firmware.
Mr White
I dont think there are 200e systems here in Italy.
so it's kind of a "blind jump" for me, a pricy one indeed. then I would like to be able at least to figure out what the most compact system can do, if it's worth the money now, with a9U euro. (I know it's worth, it's the euro thing...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2