MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Convulsion Generator REDESIGN (skiff friendly, acrylics)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Future Sound Systems  
Author Convulsion Generator REDESIGN (skiff friendly, acrylics)
futuresoundsystems
A slight physical redesign of the Convulsion Generator FIL1 is now available with acrylic panels:

This new design ensures skiff-friendliness (the depth behind the front panel is kept within 27mm), and, with the acrylic front panel, a slightly cheaper price of £50 (as opposed to the £60 aluminium version).

Note that the acrylic panels are currently 3mm in thickness - 1mm more than standard aluminium Eurorack panels. I'm trying to get some batches made up in 2mm, but I'm slightly concerned they may be too flexible. We'll see. For the time being, the 3mm acrylic is nice and sturdy.

For those alu-lovers, this redesign WILL be available with an alu front panel, as well as a few additions to the circuitry, mainly in terms of normalling.

For more photos, see the FSS Facebook page.

Cheers!
Fin
thorncore
new design looking nice and skinny..
The circuitry changes you refer to are they significant,and are they implemented on this new acrylic version or only on the forthccoming aluminium.
futuresoundsystems
thorncore wrote:
The circuitry changes you refer to are they significant,and are they implemented on this new acrylic version or only on the forthccoming aluminium.

They aren't at all significant really. They're going to be introduced with the next run of PCBs, so hopefully quite soon. All they will introduce is a set of jumpers on the PCB to choose how you want to normal the Input connection.

The "classic" FIL1 has its Input floating, which causes the output to stay negative with no input.

This latest PCB for the next few acrylic builds has its Input normalled to ground, so the output is at 0V with no input.

The next PCB will have jumpers to allow the user whether to normal the Input to floating, 0V or the + Output (this causes the FIL1 to turn into a "chaotic" oscillator, but only at certain settings).
xpando
chaotic oscillator.. nice. hope to see this new version soon. frac-naner me one so it can play with the bugs! nanners BugBrand!
futuresoundsystems
For sure! Was looking at the board earlier today and it really shouldn't be difficult at all Guinness ftw!
xpando
futuresoundsystems wrote:
For sure! Was looking at the board earlier today and it really shouldn't be difficult at all

sweet! im looking forward to seeing/hearing some bugs convulse.
dan_k

The next PCB will have jumpers to allow the user whether to normal the Input to floating, 0V or the + Output (this causes the FIL1 to turn into a "chaotic" oscillator, but only at certain settings).

Have the new set with the jumpers been made? The chaotic oscillator function really interests me so I'd like to hold out for that.
futuresoundsystems
dan_k wrote:

Have the new set with the jumpers been made? The chaotic oscillator function really interests me so I'd like to hold out for that.

They have, but funnily enough it's very difficult to get it to oscillate without an external stimulus, so you're better off mixing one of the outputs back in with the input stimulus.
dan_k

They have, but funnily enough it's very difficult to get it to oscillate without an external stimulus, so you're better off mixing one of the outputs back in with the input stimulus.

Sorry just to clarify, would the older revision oscillate by patching it as well or you need the new version with the jumper in addition to patching it? hmmm.....
futuresoundsystems
dan_k wrote:

Sorry just to clarify, would the older revision oscillate by patching it as well or you need the new version with the jumper in addition to patching it? hmmm.....

Either will oscillate with external patching (+ mixing if you want extra input excitation stuff) smile
dan_k
ok thanks for clarifying.

This one is definitely on my radar and I'll be picking one up soon! Guinness ftw!
dan_k
Based on my previous post to this thread I wasn't that quick.

What was quick however was your ship time, made it here yesterday after I ordered it last week! SlayerBadger!
futuresoundsystems
dan_k wrote:
Based on my previous post to this thread I wasn't that quick.

What was quick however was your ship time, made it here yesterday after I ordered it last week! SlayerBadger!

Great to hear Dan! Hope you're enjoying it w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Future Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1