MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quadraphonic Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Quadraphonic Modular
southphillysynths
I don't know a lot about Quadraphonic sound but is this possible with a modular? As far as I know stereo is to the left and right of you, and quadraphonic is left, right, in front, and behind you. Is there a way to do this with a modular with panning to all four points etc?
fireclown
yep. quadrature oscillators are literally made for that function I believe.
loopt
Don Buchla has more than three decades of history with quadrophonic synths.
I'm no Buchla historian, so correct me if it's been even longer.
And he's keeping at it.
authorless
Buchla 227 or 227e. razz
numan7
Intellijel planar joystick is really nice for quad panning.

cheers
sduck
southphillysynths wrote:
As far as I know stereo is to the left and right of you, and quadraphonic is left, right, in front, and behind you.

Classic quadraphonic sound - the kind that popped up and had a brief bit of popularity in the 70's - was FL/FR and RL/RR. No center speakers. Cinema systems started using center speakers around then, so that confused the history a little. To further muddy the waters there were several versions of it, and it's quite likely that your speaker arrangement was one of those. I don't know what they're calling quadraphonic these days - maybe your speaker arrangement is the current thing? All I know is that 5.1 is what everything is now, which is a combination of your speaker arrangement and the old classic one.

I had a quad system back in the middle 70's - it was really fiddly to get it all working correctly and sounding good, and then there was the problem of nothing decent to play on it. My main sound source was a quad reel to reel deck, and unless you wanted fleetwood mac or the like there wasn't much and it was expensive. I had a quad receiver but there were no quad stations where I was at the time.

Yes's Tales of Topographic Oceans was one of the few quad releases that was fairly decent. And they even toured with a quadraphonic system, which I saw in Ithaca, New York, and I'm sure it sounded fantastic, although I couldn't afford the seats in the actual quad section.

fireclown wrote:

That's pretty funny. d'oh!
misa
I do a lot of shows with octaphonic and quadraphonic sound systems. It's really no big magic -- just everything x2 (or x4 for octa).

My modular isn't (yet) quadraphonic though. I use a Max patch for spatialization and control the monophonic live input signals from a mic and the synth with TouchOSC on the iPad.

Only yesterday I learned about Planar by intellijel, mentioned already above which seems like an incredible tool.

Of course there are a lot of aesthetic and artistic and practical considerations. what should be on the speakers, should the sounds move around and if yes, how?, where to place the audience vs. the speakers and much much more....

I have done both: shows where my concept didn't work at all and the audience didn't really make the connection to the sound around them, somehow missing my elaborate setup. But at other occasions I was able to really entrance the audience and put them into that immersive space that surround can be...

I'm happy to answer your questions!
misa
and you should check out this thread with pictures and video to show you what else can be done with the other above-mentioned module Buchla's 204:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83731
DonKartofflo
Deffo possible, addac system make an amazing quadraphonic spatializing module with panning and all bells and whistles:

http://addacsystem.com/product/addac800-series/addac803-quadraphonic-s patializer
soundwave106
sduck wrote:
I don't know what they're calling quadraphonic these days - maybe your speaker arrangement is the current thing? All I know is that 5.1 is what everything is now, which is a combination of your speaker arrangement and the old classic one.

I never hear "quadraphonic" outside the context of the modular world these days. As far as I'm concerned, quadraphonic can be anything you want. FL, FR, RL, RR is classic placement, but as this is the modular world, I assume that there would be much experimentation in speaker placement, as environment recreation may not necessarily be the goal.

I assume modular manufacturers chose quad because the interface mechanisms (like joysticks) naturally tend to lead themselves to an X/Y plane. Because it's modular, however, it is possible to go well beyond quad or even the extended quad of 5.1 or 7.1. Adding channels is possible (a crossfader on the audio before two quad panners would create an interesting 8 channel spatializer, for a start) and concepts like top to bottom panning could be realized.
daverj
Multi-channel sound (stereo, quad, 5, 7, etc...) with a modular is mostly just a matter of generating enough sounds and taking multiple outputs from the system. Except for panning mono sounds to all the channels. That takes a bit of planning, or modules designed for that.

The classic Quadraphonic speaker placement in the 70s was front L/R and rear (or side) L/R. You didn't sit in the center of a living room so the rear speakers were actually beside you instead of behind you. On a dance floor or concert you could place the speakers in the rear.

Pink Floyd did Quad sound at their concerts in the 70s, and it was front center/rear center and left/right, instead of the four corners. When I saw them in Detroit in March 1973 at Cobo Arena, there were two balconies. They had speakers placed at all three levels. I remember as they were setting up, somebody on the sound board, which was set up in the middle of the ground floor, was making sounds in a mic and panning the sounds around the arena. It sounded like they were panning in a spiral, going around the room and then up from level to level. But that might just have been the "organic enhancement" that so many at that concert consumed.
fireclown
[quote="sduck"]
southphillysynths wrote:
As far as I know...

fireclown wrote:

That's pretty funny. d'oh!

is it?
cool.
effortless humor.
seemed like the question was about quad panning and that seems to be a commonly suggested application.
Jaspo
A151 + Quadra + 2xuVCA + Planar make a great 4 channel combo for cascading arpeggios and general spacial fuckery. My conversions to Dolby 4.0 haven't been successful. I will probably have to invest in some better encoding software. Maybe DTS.

During the 70's I had a quad system. There were two main types of Quad DC(Discrete), and SQ(Matrix) and mine did both. I remember "Switched on Bach" and "Snowflakes Are Dancing" as being very impressive. It was a great format, just too far ahead of it's time.

I have always dreamed of hearing "A Wizard, A True Star" on 4 a channel system.
brandonlogic
posted this in the euro thread too, but thought id share here;

Doing a quadrophonic performance in about a month.
This will be the plan for the core of my patch.
Four separate quadraphonic voices. Er301 mixing three external quad voices and internal fourth one.
Voice one- Planar - mono voice in, manual and cv controlled smooth quad panning
Voice two - ryo paths. one to four voices in, for outs, stepped trigger or cv controlled panning/switching
Voice three - make noise QPAS. Mono or Stereo input- quad filtering out (band pass L, band pass R, high pass rear R, high pass rear L)
Voice Four - internal granulized samples. Different samples in each quad channel or same sample with different granular processing in each channel.

ersatzplanet
brandonlogic wrote:

Four separate quadraphonic voices. Er301 mixing three external quad voices and internal fourth one.
Voice two - ryo paths. one to four voices in, for outs, stepped trigger or cv controlled panning/switching
Voice three - make noise QPAS. Mono or Stereo input- quad filtering out (band pass L, band pass R, high pass rear R, high pass rear L)
Voice Four - internal granulized samples. Different samples in each quad channel or same sample with different granular processing in each channel.

You really should get your hands on a 4ms VCAMatrix. Those things are almost designed with quad in mind. They can be chained or stacked too so you can send 8 signals to four destinations or four signals to 8 destinations.
brandonlogic
ersatzplanet wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

You really should get your hands on a 4ms VCAMatrix. Those things are almost designed with quad in mind. They can be chained or stacked too so you can send 8 signals to four destinations or four signals to 8 destinations.

ahh yeah thats cool. the er301 is amazing for quad though too
ersatzplanet
brandonlogic wrote:

ahh yeah thats cool. the er301 is amazing for quad though too

No doubt it is. It is a lot more than a VCA too. It has the advantage of having the controllers built in for the VCAs too, whereas you would need to add the controllers to the VCAMatrix. The ER-301 can make the sounds and pan them around also. For those that can't afford a ER-301, the VCAM is a great alternative for just the quad panning and VCA duties. It works great for faking Vector synthesis too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1