MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analogue Systems: Doepfer compatibility
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  

What's your opinion regarding Analogue Systems modules?
I would buy them if they would be fully Doepfer Eurorack compatible
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
I would buy them if the power plugs would be compatible to Doepfer
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I would buy them if the drill holes would be compatible to Doepfer (and use a converter cable for the power)
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
The modules are compatible enough for me
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
I would not buy them anyway
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Analogue Systems: Doepfer compatibility
sonicwarrior
I know that Analogue Systems and Doepfer began parallel with different Eurorack approaches concerning the power plugs of the modules and the placing of the drill holes.

But as time has gone we clearly see that the Doepfer approach has 'won'. I don't know a single Eurorack vendor which uses the Analogue Systems approach.

Based on personal interest I would like to know how many people are interested in Analogue Systems modules but won't buy them because of the incompatibility with the Doepfer Eurorack.
wetterberg
a few choices missing there... main one - the one I fit - is :
Quote:

I would buy from them but the incompatibility has to some extent lessened my interest.
Kent
Mine is:

I do buy them but I would like them to switch over to the Doepfer style power connector and I'm not too fussed by the panel width.
sonicwarrior
Damn, I can't change the poll anymore. very frustrating
dkcg
It would also be better if the doepfer power supply came with 5V standard since a lot of ASys modules need 5V.

Kind of a give n take.
KNYST
wetterberg wrote:
a few choices missing there... main one - the one I fit - is :
Quote:

I would buy from them but the incompatibility has to some extent lessened my interest.

I couldn't agree more. They make cool stuff but...
I'm lazy - that's it.
I don't have any euro right now, but I'm planning to buy some. If Asys would be fully compatible with the rest, they'd be higher up on my euro want-list.
richardm123uk
Since I got into Euro modulars a year ago I have gone through quite a few modules from many vendors but I have kept all my AS modules. I love them, they have a feel of quality and they do exactly what they say they will do with no BS. I love AS modules. With regards to the cable it does not bother me. Also (if the modules are close together in the rack) you can power 2 modules with one of the RS95 cables.
wetterberg
forgot to say: it's great to see that manufacturers like MonoRocket are doing buss boards with AS headers on them as well as Doepfer ones - and Monorocket does "sliding nut" cases, so it should be infinitely more compatible with Asys - it's great!
vav
Well, i had an Asys EMS Filter for a while, and i loved the sound of it. I hated that i had to buy a $20 connector for the power, and that it left an annoying gap in my system.

If i switch to a Monorocket case that can handle these issues, then i will re-buy that filter and, most likely, more of their stuff.

Until that point, though, i'm Asys free.
brandon daniel
I have enough ASys modules that I have whole rows of them with their own power busses in my monster case. This works out just fine. Would be nice to be able to acquire more of them without having to worry about installing new busses and the dreaded "gap".
ignatius
i own one Asys module and drilled out 2 of the holes so i could mount it in the doepfer rack. it wasn't too much of a pain but i can't say it was how i wanted to spend my time.

i voted for "drill the holes"... though if i want another Asys module the holes want stop me from buying it.
tIB
personally the fatness of their modules puts me off a little... they are pretty space hungry for a small setup. I would have gone with a few bits of theres if they were a few less hp wide.
ignatius
tIB wrote:
personally the fatness of their modules puts me off a little... they are pretty space hungry for a small setup. I would have gone with a few bits of theres if they were a few less hp wide.

so true. some of them are a bit wide.

but they do have some unique modules and 'standard' modules w/a little bit of a twist.
NV
My thoughts are around the middle. ASys makes some great modules and the compatibility issues don't stop me from buying them, but I certainly don't enjoy the time I spend filing out the holes and building adapter cables so they can get off their high horse and play nice with the rest of my system. Admittedly there have been times I was considering a standard utility module like a mixer and ruled out ASys due to this potential hassle.

The real shame is that it's no secret ASys (and consequently Big City Music) has lost sales due to such a minor thing. I don't fault the customers for this, as not everyone has the desire or means to alter a front panel, build an adapter cable, and in some cases add +5V to their supplies. I just don't understand why they feel they need to stick to their guns and keep alienating potential customers. If a current euro manufacturer all of a sudden decided to invent their own power cable orientation and adapter board and made their modules have offset mounting holes, the reaction would unanimously be "what the fuck are you doing?"

The solution would be so simple and cost effective that it's plain dumb he doesn't do it. Widen the mounting holes into ovals and provide a choice of either an ASys standard power cable or an ASys to Doepfer power cable with the module for the same price. It would take only a couple millimeters of extra drilling to do this and it boggles my mind that they have the nerve to sell adapter cables for $25 that cost less than $1 to build. I guarantee that the increase in sales would offset the extremely minute costs dramatically.
a100user
I have a number of ASys modules along side my other Euro modules.

Initially I made a vero buss board and have since purchased adapters from BCM.

So my poll choice would be the same as Kent's.

As for panel size I have no issue - just stick a Harvestman maodule in between or buy enough modules so they equal 84hp
ix
i have pondered a few modules from them like the harmonic osc but yeah this was an issue , having said that i would probably case the analogue systems stuff seperately if i was not happy, they should be following the euro norm or offer both really as it maks more sense to.

sonicwarrior wrote:
I know that Analogue Systems and Doepfer began parallel with different Eurorack approaches concerning the power plugs of the modules and the placing of the drill holes.

But as time has gone we clearly see that the Doepfer approach has 'won'. I don't know a single Eurorack vendor which uses the Analogue Systems approach.

Based on personal interest I would like to know how many people are interested in Analogue Systems modules but won't buy them because of the incompatibility with the Doepfer Eurorack.
os
Another option missing on the poll:

I own an Asys case and wish the Doepfer modules would fit into it better.

razz

I couldn't say exactly why I went Asys (and this is only in the last few months, so I'm not an early adopter or anything). It just seemed higher quality than the Doepfer stuff. Possibly a bit of patriotism in there too. British businesses need my money in these troubled times!
Karl Jeffers
I got 2 AS cases with Doepfer busboards.
Compatibility problem solved. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1