MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metasonix mixer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Metasonix mixer?
numan7
has Metasonix! ever considered offering a big (42hp) yellow tube mixer module (say with 4 inputs with offset, attenuation and pan controls with voltage control over attenuation and pan amounts, 2 return/link inputs, 2 main outputs with voltage control over level and 2 send/link outputs) as a future addition to the R-series module lineup?

cheers
Kent
Boom!

burnn_out!
yeah lets make that but a euro version SlayerBadger!
metasonix
numan7 wrote:
has Metasonix! ever considered offering a big (42hp) yellow tube mixer module (say with 4 inputs with offset, attenuation and pan controls with voltage control over attenuation and pan amounts, 2 return/link inputs, 2 main outputs with voltage control over level and 2 send/link outputs)

That would require at least 6 tubes (bare minimum for line level inputs), cost over $1000 and be a lot bigger than 42hp. Send-return is a real problem with tube electronics, because there have to be solid-state buffers or tube buffers (cathode followers) so it can be connected to solid-state outboard gear. Then you're talking 10 tubes, $1500 and won't fit in a Euro rack at all.

Still want it? Loan me $20k to get panels and PCBs made. thumbs up
numan7
metasonix wrote:
numan7 wrote:
has Metasonix! ever considered offering a big (42hp) yellow tube mixer module (say with 4 inputs with offset, attenuation and pan controls with voltage control over attenuation and pan amounts, 2 return/link inputs, 2 main outputs with voltage control over level and 2 send/link outputs)

That would require at least 6 tubes (bare minimum for line level inputs), cost over $1000 and be a lot bigger than 42hp. Send-return is a real problem with tube electronics, because there have to be solid-state buffers or tube buffers (cathode followers) so it can be connected to solid-state outboard gear. Then you're talking 10 tubes, $1500 and won't fit in a Euro rack at all.

Still want it? Loan me $20k to get panels and PCBs made. thumbs up

twisted why yes, absolutely (and at $1500 i think can afford 2 units, which i hope will be possible to link into an 8 x 4 mixer configuration of some sort)!

hmmm..... now it will take me at least several months to save up the funds to lend for initial production costs.. but i kind of like this sort of challenge. so we'll see... although, if you think it would be better to start sooner on this than next year, i can't imagine there not being at least a dozen wigglers besides myself whose desire for an M2000 (or whatever it gets called) would burn intensely enough to justify loaning you the asking price for their places in line.

i know you have previously written off kickstarter-campaign-type schemes as sucky and miserable... but.just the tbought of mixing all the diverse and ecelctic instrument audio from my studio into glowing clouds of gaseous electrons inside glass bottles for the final stage is like pure love to me (or something or whatever... i suppose.. it's late! Dead Banana)... i know i would be patient and willing to bear with production delays, should any occur, and the like, so long as you came through in the end which i have not doubts you would.

smile why heck, i think i might even get the agonizer-lady (The Agonizer!) tatooed on my butt for this! hyper

cheers
FatRocky
just make the TM5 Euro version please!
sensanalog
I also would be into a M2000 of some sorts. I would be happy to pay up front. Way to get the ball rolling numan7. SlayerBadger!
decaying.sine
Kent wrote:
Boom!

Wow. Nice Kent. Do you have of the TS line to go with that beauty?
Cat-A-Tonic
FatRocky wrote:

^ Yes, please!!!
digital_steve
I dunno why... but I feel like I need that mixer in my rack.
Fuck a euro version!
Kent
decaying.sine wrote:

Wow. Nice Kent. Do you have of the TS line to go with that beauty?

I do wish that I had something like that. It belongs to Michael Weeks.
equalpyramid
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

^ Yes, please!!!

+2. If more than one unit could be linked it would eliminate the need for a complete mixer unit. Something to think about.

If you guys really get desperate, I know it's not Metasonix, but it's all-tube and all-American: http://www.busbyelectronics.com/BE62.html
wavehead
why not just do solid-state send/return to make it way more affordable? it's still coming back to main tube channels and will sound great.

definitely makes a lot more sense outside of euro... i'm sure plenty of people would be interested in it that have no interest in modulars.

the drive/saturation/distortion on this on a mix probably sounds so good. would love to hear audio of kent's unit. are the channels similar to the R-51?
metasonix
a) Because Kent failed to mention it, I will: that "M-1000" was custom made in 2007 for Mike Weeks as a favor. It uses TM-5 boards as channels, and thus has massive distortion (that's what he wanted). It was VERY costly to build.

b) How costly? The only tube mixers on the market right now are the ones that Thermionic Culture, TL Audio and Manley makes. The Thermionic "Fat Bustard" costs $5899. The most basic TL model, the M1-F (recently discontinued), is more solid-state than tube, and costs about the same. The Manleys are basic line-level mixers, and cost more than $8000.

Then there's this nut on Indiegogo, trying to raise money to make tube studio electronics. And failing.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/busby-tube-audio-modular-mixers
(He's in Canada, you twit.)

Conclusion: there is almost NO MARKET for tube mixers.

If you want a tube mixer with all the "usual features", those are the sort of prices you will have to pay. Even from Metasonix. (Sorry.)
slow_riot
i met someone in UK who's starting to run a "business" buying and selling valve amps... he had piles and piles of stuff that he's got for very cheap, such as tube PA equipment that no one wants.

Surely that kind of thing is worth looking into if you want to do it for cheap. DIY or some other kind of one off salvage based job.

Wasn't there someone posting here who did that?
numan7
:shrug: ah well, so it goes.... i guess i can just patch 4x r51s into a passive mult for tube-mixing duties (or 8x r51s and a pair of mults for stereo).

still, a yellow-on-black front panel for it (a'la s2000's) would be damn booty wiggler !

cheers
wavehead
i figured this was at the very least a 5K and up price, which is why i thought it would make no sense as something in euro (and i guess makes no sense at all for that matter).

probably the best way to go (without getting into human trafficking business) is just using metasonix for preamp and/or buss mix. still not even sure what would be best for this as there are a lot of options. TM-5 for raw and blown out, R51 for "cleaner" duties..?
endmusik
this mixer is very good. I like it alot. I make the techno music with it that I play for my wife and she hasn't divorced me yet so it must be good.
equalpyramid
metasonix wrote:
(He's in Canada, you twit.)

Chill out. He mentioned something in his videos about all-American parts, and I naturally assumed he was from the states. (Only shitheads resort to name-calling.) hihi
digital_steve
endmusik wrote:
this mixer is very good. I like it alot. I make the techno music with it that I play for my wife and she hasn't divorced me yet so it must be good.

Fuck the mixer! I'd be happy with a Wretch Machine wink

The mixer looks damn nice though.
endmusik
digital_steve wrote:
endmusik wrote:

Fuck the mixer! I'd be happy with a Wretch Machine wink

The mixer looks damn nice though.

Fucking the mixer is not advisable screaming goo yo
digital_steve
I'll do whatever it takes to initiate myself to the yellow lord...
blz
Ok am I crazy or was there someone on the forum aside from Mr. Metasonix whom was authorized to build more of the mixer units that Mr. The Wretch owns?

I may be crazy?

But if i'm not is that still an option because I may in the market for a Metasonix mixer around Juneishy time.

Or does Mr. Metasonix still have the will to build one of these awesome mixers.
burnn_out!
blz wrote:
Ok am I crazy or was there someone on the forum aside from Mr. Metasonix whom was authorized to build more of the mixer units that Mr. The Wretch owns?

I may be crazy?

But if i'm not is that still an option because I may in the market for a Metasonix mixer around Juneishy time.

Or does Mr. Metasonix still have the will to build one of these awesome mixers.

Eric did it as a one off. Zerosum was willing to build a clone quite some time ago
askthedust
Zerosum (with a little help from Eric) built me a TM-500 stereo preamp a few years ago. Basically two TM-5 with single control for both channels in a 2U rack. I love it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2