MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noisering & Oscillator II Manuals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Noisering & Oscillator II Manuals
Geeklapeeno
Hi,
does anybody knows where to download the manuals of these modules?

I have the newest models and while the oscillator should be relatively simple, I cannot completely understand the logic behind the noisering.

Also I found the 3,5mm jacks a little bit "crappy", I have to hold the rack with one hand when plugging/unplugging the jacks to prevent it moving....

Thanks
e-grad
Geeklapeeno wrote:
Also I found the 3,5mm jacks a little bit "crappy", I have to hold the rack with one hand when plugging/unplugging the jacks to prevent it moving....

seriously, i just don't get it

My Wiard modules have Kobiconn jacks which use for my DIY projects as well. Never had any issues with them. Well, to be precise: 2 out of several hundreds lost one of their solder lugs but once installed they serve me for years without any troubles by now. You might have to tighten the nuts.
shady smiles
Geeklapeeno wrote:
Hi,
does anybody knows where to download the manuals of these modules?

I have the newest models and while the oscillator should be relatively simple, I cannot completely understand the logic behind the noisering.

Thanks

I'm guessing you mean the Malekko euro Oscillator and Noisering? In that case, there's been some talk on the Malekko sub forum about tight jacks. IME definitely not crappy but indeed a bit snugger than other modules. As for noisering details, a great jumping off point is the big 1200 info thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5306

More threads over on the Malekko sub forum too. (Hint: do an advanced search for noisering in the title only.)

FWIW: I have a noisering and love it. The mystery is half the fun. Embrace it! smile
infradead
malekko jacks are super tight. the more you use them the more they loosen up.
Geeklapeeno
Yes I mean the Malekko Euro module smile

The jacks are considerable supertight, and they will get better with use, but I prefer jacks ready to use, like those on Makenoise modules, just to name one wink

Thanks Shady, found lot of docs. 15+ years of internet & forums, but still unable to make a good search, sorry very frustrating

Anyway is incredible no one made a simple 2 page user guide/getting started on this popular module....
infradead
this is also relevant

Quote:
I prefer the Quickstart guides which cover the inputs, the outputs, and the knobs.

"Manuals" usually have examples of applications, but there is an inherent assumption that ALL applications are covered in the manual. This is impossible with synthesizer modules because they are experimental devices, and you can easily invent a new application that no one, including myself, has thought of.

I am going to set up a web site with application "examples", but don't think they are exhaustive in any way. You should not be able to break the module, no matter what you do, so experiment away. The music synthesizer is only 40 years old, so we are all novices. -grantrichter

from here
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48139&highlight=manu al
mheumann
The best manual I've ever seen is the one for the Anti-Oscillator--just a bunch of photos of the device with details about each pot and knob. That's all a manual needs to be. Why not do something similar for the Oscillator II and Noisering?
Geeklapeeno
Trying the clock output of the noisering I noticed it is very unstable, useless to clock a sequencer or similar modules.
I'm using the Function and it is almost perfect.

Is there something I should know to use the clock output of the noisering, or there is something to tune, or is it a bad module, or is it normal for this module to output an instable clock source??
Entrainer
Geeklapeeno wrote:
Trying the clock output of the noisering I noticed it is very unstable, useless to clock a sequencer or similar modules.
I'm using the Function and it is almost perfect.

Is there something I should know to use the clock output of the noisering, or there is something to tune, or is it a bad module, or is it normal for this module to output an instable clock source??

It's normal and meant to. If you want it "stable", sync it from the Function.
Or, try turning the EXT Rate knob 100% CCW.
chvad
The noisering is a fantastic clock... Just maybe not the clock you are looking for. Best not to 'expect' with the noisering. Better to accept and understand.
Geeklapeeno
I red many people use the noisering as a clock source and they are very happy with it. Probably I imagined very happy means very precision, but now I realise I was wrong smile

Also the change and the chance pots, seems useless from full CCW to 11 o' clock, then after about 3 o'clock to full CW they are insane, I imagine it should be normal but not very logical....

... but from an "illogical" module I think it is normal smile
thelizard
Geeklapeeno wrote:
I red many people use the noisering as a clock source and they are very happy with it. Probably I imagined very happy means very precision, but now I realise I was wrong smile

Also the change and the chance pots, seems useless from full CCW to 11 o' clock, then after about 3 o'clock to full CW they are insane, I imagine it should be normal but not very logical....

Mine is rock-solid for timing. Make sure the Ext. Rate knob is turned fully off (CCW), since the 1 output is normalled to the Ext. Rate in (meaning that the Noisering has the ability to turn itself into an unpredictable trigger source).
shady smiles
thelizard wrote:
Geeklapeeno wrote:

Mine is rock-solid for timing. Make sure the Ext. Rate knob is turned fully off (CCW), since the 1 output is normalled to the Ext. Rate in (meaning that the Noisering has the ability to turn itself into an unpredictable trigger source).

^THIS.

No bearing on the OP but I'm curious: I thought it was normaled to the 2 output. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Cheers!
thelizard
shady smiles wrote:
thelizard wrote:
Geeklapeeno wrote:

^THIS.

No bearing on the OP but I'm curious: I thought it was normaled to the 2 output. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Cheers!

My bad... I took a guess with output 1.

Also, it's totally awesome of you to work on the manuals. I'm teaching a modular class in Spring 2014, so we're printing out PDF documentation for all modules to keep in a binder next to the system. thumbs up
shady smiles
thelizard wrote:

That's cool. I just took a look at the 300 docs and they seem to suggest it's output 2. In the end, it's a little academic and besides the point but I do want to get it right for the obvious reasons. (Of course, now that I'm going on about it, I kind of want to do a taste test of ext rate modulated by 1 vs 2...)

thelizard wrote:
Also, it's totally awesome of you to work on the manuals. I'm teaching a modular class in Spring 2014, so we're printing out PDF documentation for all modules to keep in a binder next to the system. thumbs up

Now that is awesome. I'd love to see your syllabus. If you feel like sharing...

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I look forward to having something for folks to look over. It's fun to give back.
thelizard
shady smiles wrote:
thelizard wrote:

That's cool. I just took a look at the 300 docs and they seem to suggest it's output 2. In the end, it's a little academic and besides the point but I do want to get it right for the obvious reasons. (Of course, now that I'm going on about it, I kind of want to do a taste test of ext rate modulated by 1 vs 2...)

thelizard wrote:

Now that is awesome. I'd love to see your syllabus. If you feel like sharing...

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I look forward to having something for folks to look over. It's fun to give back.

No syllabus yet! Here is the system that we designed: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/3399

Instead of it being a very focused system, we decided to go for more variety for pedagogical purposes.

General things that we want to cover are Subtractive, Additive, FM, AM, Ring Modulation, Wavetables, Algorithmic Composition, and more.

Since Curtis Roads is the instructor of note (I'm teaching the course primarily, but as a TA), there will be a large focus on granular synthesis. We have the Phonogene for sample-based grains, but we'll also focus on how to generate grains using an envelope generator and an oscillator. We'll do many varieties of granular, like Glisson and Trainlet synthesis, along with synchronous and asynchronous strategies.
Geeklapeeno
thelizard wrote:
but we'll also focus on how to generate grains using an envelope generator and an oscillator.

Interesting, what kind of granular synthesis with a vco and an envelope generator? hmmm.....
thelizard
Geeklapeeno wrote:
thelizard wrote:
but we'll also focus on how to generate grains using an envelope generator and an oscillator.

Interesting, what kind of granular synthesis with a vco and an envelope generator? hmmm.....

All of it! A grain is really any sound event that lasts for under ~100 ms. So, really, anytime to use, say, a tiny Maths envelope to generate a small event, you've got grains.

To go deeper, for instance, Glisson synthesis uses grains that include an upwards or downwards pitch slide over the course of the grain. In that case, trigger two envelopes at the same time. One is the grain envelope, the other is a pitch slide that goes to the oscillator that fills the grain.

If you want to know more, I highly recommend reading Microsound.
Geeklapeeno
Nice! What is microsound ? seriously, i just don't get it
n_m
Geeklapeeno wrote:
Nice! What is microsound ? seriously, i just don't get it

GIYF razz

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/microsound
shady smiles
Hey all! I added some patch ideas to the Noisering Manual/Patch thread.

Enjoy! Guinness ftw!

(And needless to say, contributions welcome! 8_))
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1