MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana Jacks on Doepfer to use with Serge/Buchla?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Banana Jacks on Doepfer to use with Serge/Buchla?
drewskee
There are a few small modules (Phaser, Audio Mixer) that Deopfer has that I'd like to remount on a panel I am building and use with my Buchla/Serge panels. Has anyone added Banana jacks for the CV inputs and does Doepfer need +/- 12 or 15v? Figured I'd ask this here rather than in the Eurorack Forum. Thanks!
panda30y
Doepfer runs off of +/- 12V. A few people have added banana jacks to their euro gear, but I find that many of the euro stuff is constrained by space, and they often will have pcb mounted jacks on a separate board mounted parallel to the faceplate to conserve space. This is a little bit of a headache, because you'll probably have to fabricate a new method of mounting the boards, and make sure it'll still fit in whatever enclosure you place the modules in.
otherunicorn
Anything with normalized connections becomes difficult too. I did a bunch of conversions. In the end I had to modify the cliff jacks themselves to accept bananas. That is NOT something you want to do if you can avoid it.
tragedybysyntax
was curious about this too... I'd like to bananafy all the euro modules i possibly could..... then get a format jumbler and make a few 1/8" to banana cables for the rest. HMMM. Will definitely be a hoe tho....
felix
Amnesia had many of his Euro modules bananfied. I think with the Cliff Jacks (like Doepfer users) he was able to just drill out some of the inside of the jack, enough for the width of a banana plug, and that worked just fine. That's probably the easiest modification since Doepfer uses right-angle board-mounted cliff jacks, making replacing with banana jacks a little tricky.
tragedybysyntax
ahhh... I'll have to get ahold of him. I only have one doepfer module... a vca, lol. I worry about my afg, dalek, r-51, qmmg... heh.
Pockets McCoy
felix wrote:
Amnesia had many of his Euro modules bananfied. I think with the Cliff Jacks (like Doepfer users) he was able to just drill out some of the inside of the jack, enough for the width of a banana plug, and that worked just fine. That's probably the easiest modification since Doepfer uses right-angle board-mounted cliff jacks, making replacing with banana jacks a little tricky.

Unfortunately, there's got to be more to it than just drilling...remember that banana's don't have a ground connection, so if you went straight into a drilled-out cliff jack with one you'd just end up shorting the connection to ground, so you'd have to find a way to somehow disconnect, get rid of, or otherwise circumvent the ground connection in the jacks. Ken did the conversion on Amnesia's Euro system, and I have a feeling this is at least part of what he's talking about when he says modifying cliff jacks for bananas is better avoided if at all possible.
tragedybysyntax
HMMMMMMMM. Someone should post a how-to convert euro modules to banana! lol......
otherunicorn
Pockets McCoy wrote:
Unfortunately, there's got to be more to it than just drilling...remember that banana's don't have a ground connection, so if you went straight into a drilled-out cliff jack with one you'd just end up shorting the connection to ground, so you'd have to find a way to somehow disconnect, get rid of, or otherwise circumvent the ground connection in the jacks. Ken did the conversion on Amnesia's Euro system, and I have a feeling this is at least part of what he's talking about when he says modifying cliff jacks for bananas is better avoided if at all possible.

You also need to make sure the 4mm drill does not damage the rear contact, so that means moving it while you drill. The tension on them is not that great, and it is SO easy to mess up the switched function when you do. The contacts need to be moved fractionally (0.5mm) higher if the original tension is to be kept, and that can mean trimming plastic, and does require unsoldering each contact to adjust it. The earth contact can just be pulled out of the way, then unsoldered and pulled free, or clipped off without unsoldering the jack from the PCB.
fireclown
Im suddenly enamored with the possibility of getting a pair of 292 and 281
modules to use with my Serge NTO and/or whatever Euro modules might be useful and compatible. It seems like most Buchla users are just using Buchla.
Appreciate the info, thanks!
confusional
Redacted.
tragedybysyntax
Or I"ll just start converting them all and not ask anyone a thing. smile
tragedybysyntax
and it's not a "better" thing........ I just see it as a workflow change.
parasitk
tragedybysyntax wrote:
and it's not a "better" thing........ I just see it as a workflow change.

Efficient workflow is better for you, and that's all that counts in this case!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1