MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

wiard controller magic smoke
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author wiard controller magic smoke
revmutt
yep, fuck me in the dick hole.

I followed a pin out for a din from the Wiard Yahoogroup and made magic smoke. I pulled the plug just before major damage.

Out R ^ is fucked everything else is fine.

Let me add that the oder from the magic smoke seems to be coming from the actual joystick.

Anyone??
Malekko
revmutt wrote:

I followed a pin out for a din from the Wiard Yahoogroup and made magic smoke. I pulled the plug just before major damage.

Anyone??

I may have an old wiard cable in my pile o stuff...
Did you call Grant?
revmutt
Malekko wrote:
revmutt wrote:

Anyone??

I may have an old wiard cable in my pile o stuff...
Did you call Grant?

Thanks Josh, I'll catch you on the E-mail

I did call Grant which I really didn't want to do but he wasn't answering.

Do you have the magic ingredients of the Joy?

I looked at both the blown 300 one and the 1200 one and I noticed that there are resistors on the outputs of the Frac but not on the 300.

I am fucking heart broken.
Babaluma
does this help?

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/Joystick/1209.htm
revmutt
Thanks babaluma,

I have proven that I can't be trusted with schematics and the 300 is laid out differently I sort have to trace that one jack and figure out what is connected and what is blown.

Now mine has a TL074CN and I'm wondering whether that should just be swapped out.

The fact that the smell is in the actual joystick component it's self makes me a bit worried.
Pockets McCoy
If the smell's coming from the actual joystick, it probably means you fried some part of the resistive element (which I've done quite a few times, but thankfully my adventures have just been breadboard accidents with pots), which probably means that the pinout you were following led you to inadvertently connect either the positive or negative rail to ground through one of the axes of the joystick (probably horizontal, since your R out is fucked), which is pretty much the incantation for frizzle frazzle magic smoke. Incidentally, that might give you a clue as to which pins go where, but I'd poke around with a multimeter and try to determine what's what.

Rather unfortunately, if you did zap the wiper/track/resistive element/whatever, it very likely means you're going to have to find a new joystick assembly to install (or get the current one fixed, but that may be just as hard or harder than finding a new joystick). I don't have any experience working with joysticks, but some pictures I've seen lead me to believe that you may be able to remove the pot that got fried and install a new one, but that depends on what kind of joystick you have and whether or not that's even possible in the first place.

Good luck though, and hopefully this has been remotely helpful/correct...
Kent
revmutt wrote:

Finally, an application for which I'm perfectly anatomically suited! Mama always said that this day would come!
lol

On a more serious note, sorry for you pain in frying a treasured object. Been there. T3h Suxxor.
johnnymad
i've fried a couple of potentiometers before too. nothing expensive though; just circuit bending and all of a sudden the pot was smoking, literally. (insert pot joke here).
science
Ouch... hope it's an easy fix.
revmutt
UPDATE:

I spoke to Grant who of course was really nice about the whole thing, down to talking me through testing the unit. I will need to replace a joystick but like anything Wiard it's an pretty easy thing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1